Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to get stabbed in our sleep?

1. Senior Member

Are we going to get stabbed in our sleep?

Advertisements
    Okay, so I've posted about dh getting stationed in San Diego, we got housing and I was super excited....
    Until I looked on google earth and realized there is a trailer parked on the street that says "pimping aint easy," and "who's your daddy?". I looked into the Facebook groups in the neighborhood and several people posted about their kids having stuff go missing, and older kids beating on younger kids and threatening them with violence.

Although we are in total hillbilly hell right now, my kids could leave their bikes out and not have anyone take them. I feel somewhat safe letting my kids play outside if I keep an eye out the window.

Laying it out on the table, I'm ignorant. I am trying to learn.

Should I invest in a nest security system? We have a dog. Is it safe to ride bikes to the park?

Right now I'm picturing my daughter getting her bike stolen right from under her and the kids going to a playground where razor blades are glued to the equipment and teenagers are having sex in the play tunnels, while my neighbors run tricks in a hooker trailer.

Okay... now that my crazy is out there....
    You guys got reassurance?
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Senior Member
    Which housing did you get? That will help since San Diego is SO big and several different areas of housing.
  3. Senior Member
    Murphy Canyon aero ridge? Bordelon street
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    Which housing did you get? That will help since San Diego is SO big and several different areas of housing.
    It's so little on the map
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Lol what? I've only been in Murphy Cannon once but I think you have to be military to get into the housing area at all. Where are you seeing this trailer park? All the streets around there look normal to me?
    Tierra Santa is generally a decent area.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Lol what? I've only been in Murphy Cannon once but I think you have to be military to get into the housing area at all. Where are you seeing this trailer park? All the streets around there look normal to me?
    Tierra Santa is generally a decent area.
    I don't know if it's a trailer or camper or what you would call it... it's parked on the street.
  7. Senior Member
    Murphy Cannon if I remember was north of where i lived and about 20 min south of the Marine Base. so if going north on I15---you took a right on that exit and it was mainly all military up that way. Anyone can get into the area its not behind gates if I remember. This was also 9 years ago.
  8. Senior Member
    I lived in Murphy Canyon Santo Terrace and the area was really nice.The community is not gated and not on base. I do not remember a trailer park. The community has is own NEX and is a short drive from the malls and shops in Mission Valley. Most of my friends in San Diego were non-mil affiliated but they would always say how nice our home and neighborhood was.

I don't have kids, but there were always kids out in the streets and at the little parks they have in housing. I wouldn't leave their bikes out though I would advise that no matter where you lived.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I lived in Murphy Canyon Santo Terrace and the area was really nice.The community is not gated and not on base. I do not remember a trailer park. The community has is own NEX and is a short drive from the malls and shops in Mission Valley. Most of my friends in San Diego were non-mil affiliated but they would always say how nice our home and neighborhood was.

I don't have kids, but there were always kids out in the streets and at the little parks they have in housing. I wouldn't leave their bikes out though I would advise that no matter where you lived.
    Not a trailer park, a single camper/trailer parked on the street with the text I described. Sorry, haha
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I don't know if it's a trailer or camper or what you would call it... it's parked on the street.
    Ahhh I see well who knows how long ago google took the street view photos. Someone may have specifically put it there when the street camera car went by to be dumb. San Diego is one of the safest large cities in the US. The murder rate is exceptionally low. Most crime is petty theft and car jacking. Don't leave shit in your car or leave it unlocked, you'll be fine otherwise. I've had my car broken into once (they didn't take anything lol) in the almost 7 years I've lived here.

San Diego is a very outdoorsy city. All of the parks/hiking trails/beach/fun stuff outside are busy pretty much anytime there's daylight. I would say 90% of the metro area is totally safe, and you wouldn't likely end up in the unsafe areas anyways (parts of national city, encanto, near the border/san Ysidro, city heights (altho it's gentrifying rapidly and has delicious restaurants))
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast