Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are we going to get stabbed in our sleep?

1. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Advertisements
    Those groups are so irritating. People bitch about everything and then wives hate the place before they even get there.
    Last edited by rayfinkle; 03-27-2018 at 07:57 PM.

life's a party, rock your body
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Those groups are so irritating. People bitch about everything and then wives hate the place before they even get there.
    I am going to stop looking at them.... we can get a cat, we can keep our car locked and our crap put away. I need to find things I like, like tacos and NON OHIO MEXICAN FOOD!!!!

I shall take the kids finding used condoms one day at a time. (Someone posted a picture of one on their walk)
  3. Regular Member
    I guess being a military brat means I am less freaked about what people say about new places. If I include extended family, my family has literally every branch, so I have seen more than a few places/posts/bases and your wording made me smile.
    I must say I have had a really crappy night and then I read your first post. I almost spit my water out. Thank you for that.
    Memories.....

OK, this is trite, but "don't worry, be happy".
    It can be fun to find the new grocery store after you move... less fun to find the ONE that carries parts of a cow you recognize. (Yeah, not all memories are good, but that wasn't SD.)
    It can be frustrating to get lost everywhere you go at first, but you have to think of the adventure - share that excitement with your kids! The human body reacts physically the same to fear as it does excitement, so you get to decide how you label it. The kids will pick that up from you.
    Maybe it is just my own experiences and I may be totally wrong here, but a LOT of military bases are a LOT alike (to me). A LOT of cities are a LOT alike (to me). You will find people with a sense of humor you like and some you think are just, off. Maybe the sign was made in jest. (Fort Story has a large "NO WAKE" sign by the cabins. There is no water by the cabins.)
    Teens will make out and have sex wherever they are, just be glad they are using condoms. (Does anyone now have "play tunnels" on their sexual bucket list?)
    Crap can get stolen out of your car in lots of places. No, don't leave bikes outside, anywhere.
    If a security camera (or 4) makes you feel safer, get one (or 4). Wired or wireless, even infrared/night vision, most are not than expensive anymore.
    (Plus you may catch sight of wildlife.)
    Get your dog microchipped and register with a local vet. (Pups tend to be very interested in exploring their new surroundings.)
    Basically, don't make yourself a victim - don't leave your purse visibly sitting in a locked car, don't leave items of value out, don't take cookies to the trailer that is rockin'
    My DH calls seagulls "flying rats" so it is a matter of perspective. (I happen to love gulls. I also thought "Pizza Rat" was cute.)
    I know several people from SD and other than the housing prices they LOVE it and not a single one has been stabbed.
    My DH always comes back from that base complaining about the price of a house. THAT is his total list of complaint(s).
    (Same is true for Colorado, so yeah, different topic. )
    I bet you will love it, but if it helps, focus on the food for now... and stop reading scary web-ernet posts
    But please send a link to that google image of the trailer... I gotta see that! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I am going to stop looking at them.... we can get a cat, we can keep our car locked and our crap put away. I need to find things I like, like tacos and NON OHIO MEXICAN FOOD!!!!

I shall take the kids finding used condoms one day at a time. (Someone posted a picture of one on their walk)
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeHappens View Post
    I guess being a military brat means I am less freaked about what people say about new places. If I include extended family, my family has literally every branch, so I have seen more than a few places/posts/bases and your wording made me smile.
    I must say I have had a really crappy night and then I read your first post. I almost spit my water out. Thank you for that.
    Memories.....

OK, this is trite, but "don't worry, be happy".
    It can be fun to find the new grocery store after you move... less fun to find the ONE that carries parts of a cow you recognize. (Yeah, not all memories are good, but that wasn't SD.)
    It can be frustrating to get lost everywhere you go at first, but you have to think of the adventure - share that excitement with your kids! The human body reacts physically the same to fear as it does excitement, so you get to decide how you label it. The kids will pick that up from you.
    Maybe it is just my own experiences and I may be totally wrong here, but a LOT of military bases are a LOT alike (to me). A LOT of cities are a LOT alike (to me). You will find people with a sense of humor you like and some you think are just, off. Maybe the sign was made in jest. (Fort Story has a large "NO WAKE" sign by the cabins. There is no water by the cabins.)
    Teens will make out and have sex wherever they are, just be glad they are using condoms. (Does anyone now have "play tunnels" on their sexual bucket list?)
    Crap can get stolen out of your car in lots of places. No, don't leave bikes outside, anywhere.
    If a security camera (or 4) makes you feel safer, get one (or 4). Wired or wireless, even infrared/night vision, most are not than expensive anymore.
    (Plus you may catch sight of wildlife.)
    Get your dog microchipped and register with a local vet. (Pups tend to be very interested in exploring their new surroundings.)
    Basically, don't make yourself a victim - don't leave your purse visibly sitting in a locked car, don't leave items of value out, don't take cookies to the trailer that is rockin'
    My DH calls seagulls "flying rats" so it is a matter of perspective. (I happen to love gulls. I also thought "Pizza Rat" was cute.)
    I know several people from SD and other than the housing prices they LOVE it and not a single one has been stabbed.
    My DH always comes back from that base complaining about the price of a house. THAT is his total list of complaint(s).
    (Same is true for Colorado, so yeah, different topic. )
    I bet you will love it, but if it helps, focus on the food for now... and stop reading scary web-ernet posts
    But please send a link to that google image of the trailer... I gotta see that! lol
    It is on google earth at Borledon and...snook? Snoop? Shoop shoop

anyway....
    Thank you all for putting up with my brand of crazy. My brother lives out there, and dh was stationed there his last year active last time around, he never had any problems, my brother got his car broken into but....it was unlocked at the beach.

I was just having a freakout moment I guess. I have only lived out of Ohio for less than a year.

I'm excited to be able to garden, even if it has to be in containers. And I threw out our snow shovels, that was exciting.
  5. Senior Member
    You'll probably love it when you get there. I love going to San Diego, it's very pretty, tons to do, and has amazing food. You mentioned that you like tacos so you should be pretty excited to go to San Diego!

Like others said those groups tend to focus on the negative and sometimes blow things out of proportion. I know it can be difficult, but I would try to focus on the pros or pick a few things to look forward to so you're not apprehensive about moving.
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    The rats eat the snails out of my garden - the snails eat my expensive succulents so tbh I don't mind the rats. They don't come inside usually, especially if you have some kind of pet. You'll be fine!

And get a San Diego zoo membership. Great way to keep the kiddos entertained for many weekends - you can use it at both the regular zoo and the Safari park in Escondido (which I personally love even more than the zoo).
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123