Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: NEED ADVISE ON SAN DIEGO HOUSING PLEASE..

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

NEED ADVISE ON SAN DIEGO HOUSING PLEASE..

Advertisements
    HELLO everyone!!
    My husband is going to Drill Instructor school in San Diego, and I have been looking for housing. I know there are many different options, but I have a dog, and I do not want to leave him (but that is still an option). I want do base housing, but I don't know which one.
    I have heard crazy stories about Drill instructor's not able to be home much and all. I am prepared to do all that.. but also I do not want to live to far from the Depot that He won't come come because of the distance.
    I would love some advise about this matter.
    Thank you!!
    Last edited by MariaY; 09-15-2016 at 02:27 PM.
  2. Stephanie
    Stephanie

My husband is coming out there next year to also be a drill instructor, and he was told that it is best to just live in base housing so your husband isn't spending what little time he has off commuting back and forth. That is what we are going to do when we move. And I called housing out there, and drill instructors get top priority for housing so even if there is a wait list you would have a house by the time his school ended and you moved out there.

3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Yes, definitely. We are going to be on Base housing, and I had no idea that DI's had priority, thats good to know.
    I am thinking to apply for Admiral Hartman, Murphy canyon and Village at NTC.
    THanx for ur response.
    Maybe our husbands will be working together =)
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MariaY View Post
    Yes, definitely. We are going to be on Base housing, and I had no idea that DI's had priority, thats good to know.
    I am thinking to apply for Admiral Hartman, Murphy canyon and Village at NTC.
    THanx for ur response.
    Maybe our husbands will be working together =)
    I have dogs so we lived in Murphy Canyon and the houses were very nice there. My husband was stationed at Miramar though so I think that Murphy Canyon is a bit of a drive from the recruit depot. Personally, I would look for something a bit closer if you can.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I have dogs so we lived in Murphy Canyon and the houses were very nice there. My husband was stationed at Miramar though so I think that Murphy Canyon is a bit of a drive from the recruit depot. Personally, I would look for something a bit closer if you can.
    Depending on the time of his travel I found that even living up there the commute can be very quick. We lived in Normal Heights just south of the stadium and most days I could get to NI and back pretty easily.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for ur responses!!
  7. Regular Member
    My husband worked at MCRD's recruit clinic and we lived in Murphy Canyon. A lot depends on the route you take. With no traffic, it's a 10ish minute drive. With traffic, it could be 30-60 minutes.
    "Sometimes, its not until you watch someone you love dying, that you truly realize what a gift each day is that you don't have to say good bye."