Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Tell me about 29 Palms...

  1. Senior Member
    JaneSays's Avatar
    JaneSays is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,588
    #1

    Tell me about 29 Palms...

    Advertisements
    So, DH gets his new MOS in a few days, and it's one of those that is only located at either 29 Palms or Lejeune. We requested Lejeune so I could be closer to my family, but there's no guarantee.

    I've heard lots of mixed reviews (nothing to do vs. it is what you make it), so I'm determined to enjoy living there and making the most of wherever we are stationed, but I would like some more info. Do most people live on base, or off base? What are the pro/cons? We have two dogs and a 10 month old baby, so we'd like a 3 bedroom place. I started looking for rentals and it doesn't seem like there are many, and those that are seem to be expensive for what you get, but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot. We love the outdoors and generally like to be active and explore, although lately with the baby we've been more limited to things closer to home.
  2. i request the highest of fives!
    lorem_ipsum's Avatar
    lorem_ipsum is offline
    i request the highest of fives!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    29palms
    Posts
    10,037
    #2
    Favorite place I've ever lived. We've been here almost 5 years and we're trying to stay another 3 at least. We bought a house after renting for 4. I personally would not have ever wanted to live on base. It's probably the nicest base the USMC has but in general it seems if you live on base, you're one of the people who says there's nothing to do and it sucks. I live in Joshua Tree. Takes the hubby just under half an hour to get on base and it's well worth it. 29 is much more sketchy than JT. And JT has community stuff to do out the wazoo. I can't help but laugh when I see all these articles about how JT is THE place to vacation right now but everyone who lives here is soooo busy saying it's hideous and boring. You'll love it if you want to.
  3. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    the_lepus's Avatar
    the_lepus is offline
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,707
    #3
    I agree with lorem (as usual), it's all about finding the positives instead of dwelling on the negatives. We've never lived there, but if we could choose our next duty station I'd have 29 Palms on the list. If you're into the outdoors, there's a TON to explore and see. I also think living off base is going to give you the best experience. You won't get stuck into the mindset of "ohemgee base is everything must never leave base and venture into the nothingness that is 29 Palmzzzz!!" It happened in Lejeune where people would literally leave base like once a week which was insane to me.

  4. Senior Member
    JaneSays's Avatar
    JaneSays is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,588
    #4
    Lorem, do you find that the BAH is adequate for Joshua Tree? O1-E BAH is $1100 for 29 palms, and it'll be tough to stay at/under if we want a 3 bedroom. Just curious if there are rentals someplace that I haven't seen or if BAH was recently adjusted down (and maybe adjusted down too much?).
  5. i request the highest of fives!
    lorem_ipsum's Avatar
    lorem_ipsum is offline
    i request the highest of fives!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    29palms
    Posts
    10,037
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Lorem, do you find that the BAH is adequate for Joshua Tree? O1-E BAH is $1100 for 29 palms, and it'll be tough to stay at/under if we want a 3 bedroom. Just curious if there are rentals someplace that I haven't seen or if BAH was recently adjusted down (and maybe adjusted down too much?).
    it was just adjusted but it's still pretty close to ideal. we were paying 1200 for a really nice 3 bedroom for 3 years before we bought. before that we were paying 850 for a little two bedroom in the not as awesome area of 29 haha. i would suggest looking in indian cove (all of the neighborhoods here are named and it's usually mentioned in listings.) they come and go realllly quick though. i don't know what you're using to look but i would personally ditch militarybyowner.com and private stuff. they're usually asking way too much here. we rented through triad realty and they and other similar people are really good about knowing what kind of house you expect for that much. the area is expanding so much right now that there are cookie cutter two car garage, 3 bedroom 2 bath, nice kitchen with granite etc houses being build every five seconds. shouldn't be hard to grab one of those for right around your BAH.
  6. i request the highest of fives!
    lorem_ipsum's Avatar
    lorem_ipsum is offline
    i request the highest of fives!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    29palms
    Posts
    10,037
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    I agree with lorem (as usual), it's all about finding the positives instead of dwelling on the negatives. We've never lived there, but if we could choose our next duty station I'd have 29 Palms on the list. If you're into the outdoors, there's a TON to explore and see. I also think living off base is going to give you the best experience. You won't get stuck into the mindset of "ohemgee base is everything must never leave base and venture into the nothingness that is 29 Palmzzzz!!" It happened in Lejeune where people would literally leave base like once a week which was insane to me.

    YES come here.
    edited to add i know people that literally do not leave base for months at a time. WHAT.
  7. Senior Member
    JaneSays's Avatar
    JaneSays is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,588
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    it was just adjusted but it's still pretty close to ideal. we were paying 1200 for a really nice 3 bedroom for 3 years before we bought. before that we were paying 850 for a little two bedroom in the not as awesome area of 29 haha. i would suggest looking in indian cove (all of the neighborhoods here are named and it's usually mentioned in listings.) they come and go realllly quick though. i don't know what you're using to look but i would personally ditch militarybyowner.com and private stuff. they're usually asking way too much here. we rented through triad realty and they and other similar people are really good about knowing what kind of house you expect for that much. the area is expanding so much right now that there are cookie cutter two car garage, 3 bedroom 2 bath, nice kitchen with granite etc houses being build every five seconds. shouldn't be hard to grab one of those for right around your BAH.
    That's super helpful, thanks! I'm honestly hating where we are now so much lol. Even if we end up at 29 palms, it'll be better than here! DH is at TBS and I hate how congested Stafford is. It's all chains and strip malls. If we ever get stationed here again, we'd definitely live in Fredericksburg, but for now being close to the tbs gate was the priority since otherwise we'd pretty much never see my husband.

    We should know more in a week or two, but in the meantime I'll be stalking the rentals online!
  8. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    the_lepus's Avatar
    the_lepus is offline
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,707
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    YES come here.
    edited to add i know people that literally do not leave base for months at a time. WHAT.
    If DH stays in, he's due to head to the west coast....so....

    I know! Base is so boring

  9. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    the_lepus's Avatar
    the_lepus is offline
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,707
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    That's super helpful, thanks! I'm honestly hating where we are now so much lol. Even if we end up at 29 palms, it'll be better than here! DH is at TBS and I hate how congested Stafford is. It's all chains and strip malls. If we ever get stationed here again, we'd definitely live in Fredericksburg, but for now being close to the tbs gate was the priority since otherwise we'd pretty much never see my husband.

    We should know more in a week or two, but in the meantime I'll be stalking the rentals online!
    OMG I didn't know you were at Quantico, DH is there now. NoVA sucks.

  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Wild*Rose's Avatar
    Wild*Rose is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    5,429


    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    That's super helpful, thanks! I'm honestly hating where we are now so much lol. Even if we end up at 29 palms, it'll be better than here! DH is at TBS and I hate how congested Stafford is. It's all chains and strip malls. If we ever get stationed here again, we'd definitely live in Fredericksburg, but for now being close to the tbs gate was the priority since otherwise we'd pretty much never see my husband.

    We should know more in a week or two, but in the meantime I'll be stalking the rentals online!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    OMG I didn't know you were at Quantico, DH is there now. NoVA sucks.
    rofl we're debating moving to Stafford to get out of the "city" haha its so rural compared to Arlington and Woodbridge! At least the parts I've seen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •