Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Counseling in San Diego

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Help Counseling in San Diego

Advertisements
    Hey there, so I want DH and I to go to counseling when he comes back from deployment (he agrees lol it's not just me deciding this). Does anyone have experience with 32nd street counseling services or how they work? Good ones, bad ones, etc? I've never been to a counselor/therapist so I'm not sure what to look for or expect. :
  2. Senior Member
    I think the best thing is to just go see them and if you decide you don't like them or the way they work you can always change. It's hard to say, because a therapist that works for one couple might not work for another.
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thanks Have you been there?
  4. Senior Member
    I haven't. I just think it's best that you give it a try before deciding since what works for you might not be what works for someone else.
  5. Vex
    I'm not superstitious, but I am a little-stitious.
    Blog Entries

While there's a fair amount of us in San Diego, the chances that one of us have been to that particular place are incredibly slim. I'd be happy to recommend an amazing MFT if you're interested in exploring your options, though.
  6. Senior Member
    How much have you discussed it with your DH? He might have preferences about things like age, gender, etc. You guys can talk about that and see what you come up with. Also, while I'm not familiar with 32nd St., on base counseling is often a "take what you can get" kind of thing, especially when working around a service member's schedule. So give them a call and see how many people they have available, and whether you can even choose one. If you can, in addition to any specific preferences you have, you'll want to ask about their schedule. Unfortunately, it can be hard for a SM to use base counseling because their work hours are often the same as the service members. Maybe that's changes since I looked in to it, but at that time, they basically worked standard office hours, meaning working around a work schedule was tough.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vex View Post
    While there's a fair amount of us in San Diego, the chances that one of us have been to that particular place are incredibly slim. I'd be happy to recommend an amazing MFT if you're interested in exploring your options, though.
    Yeah, that would be great, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    How much have you discussed it with your DH? He might have preferences about things like age, gender, etc. You guys can talk about that and see what you come up with. Also, while I'm not familiar with 32nd St., on base counseling is often a "take what you can get" kind of thing, especially when working around a service member's schedule. So give them a call and see how many people they have available, and whether you can even choose one. If you can, in addition to any specific preferences you have, you'll want to ask about their schedule. Unfortunately, it can be hard for a SM to use base counseling because their work hours are often the same as the service members. Maybe that's changes since I looked in to it, but at that time, they basically worked standard office hours, meaning working around a work schedule was tough.
    I will ask him if he has any preferences, and yeah I kinda figured it might be limited but was just wondering what kind of experience people have had with the on base counseling. Thanks!
  8. Vex
    Blog Entries

His name is Dan Bjierke. Wonderful, caring man. He takes a lot of insurance policies and also has sliding-scale options, too. I can't say enough nice things about him -- however, always keep in mind that a therapist who worked for me may not be a good fit for someone else. So while his praise is warranted, take it with a grain of salt. Dan Bjierke, MFT, Positive Psychology in San Diego