Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Monterey Beach? US Navy

1. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy

Confused Monterey Beach? US Navy

Advertisements
    Hey is anyone stationed out in Monterey.... more so at the US Navy Language school? Or have any info on it?
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  2. Moderator

Do you mean DLI? Or DLIFLC?

We've been there three times, looking at a fourth late this year, possibly. What kind of info are you looking for? It's the BEST STATION EVER. (Imo.)
  3. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    well I have to sit my DLAB still. But if all goes according to plan then I will be going there for Russian (if they have it open).

DH thinks it's awesome we will be dual. DD thinks it's awesome we will be getting out of hell ... I mean Ohio.

Just wanted to know some about housing. I know they would be able to accompany me there for A school as it will be over a 3 month A school (I think it's like 2 years or just about correct? A & F)

DH is fine with it as he is on the back end of his time in ... he just needs 4 years and he can retire and he is doing those in the reserve while he uses his GI Bill and goes to school.. So we would be getting 2 BAH while there so not to worried about cost of anything.

Just really really really stressing I guess.... If I bomb the DLAB (even though everyone says with my ASVAB Score they find that highly unlikely) I will have to rethink entire future goals.
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  4. Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    It is also my fave ever too! We loved living there. There was so much to do. GAH I wish we could go back. DH thought the DLAB was easy. If you have crazy good ASVAB I wouldn't worry to much about it. You are so close to San Fran. Make sure you go!!
  5. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    My dad was in language school in Monterey forever and ever ago. I think his language was Czech? Anyway, I don't have any good advice or anything. All I have to say is omg it's so beautiful there! You're going to love it!!

6. Moderator

Housing is privatized- here is their website: The Parks at Monterey Bay

The pictures on the site are all of the new homes- there are also some slightly older homes (8-10 years old) and ANCIENT homes (like 1 million years old). If I only had one kid, I would only live in a Pinnacle home if they offered me one of the new or slightly older homes. I would rather live elsewhere if they tried to give me an ancient house. We lived in one for two years the first time we were there, and it was fine, but it was actually condemned and torn down shortly after we left. The other ancient homes were built at the same time and they have "renovated" them, but really that just means new paint and some upgraded appliances. For the BAH, I don't feel you get a good value from the ancient homes. They do have a nice fitness center/community center/pool and a bunch of parks, and the commissary is next to housing, NOT next to DLI. So there are perks to living in the military homes.

That said, the other two times we lived there we opted against military housing and lived in apartments in Monterey (housing is in Seaside). You get much less space for your money if you rent on the economy, but you can be more selective about location. If you're interested in that, I would recommend Craigslist. I know a lot of people are put off by the thought of Craigslist, but that's where we found the most complete listings. If we went back now (with 3 kids) we would pretty much have no choice but to live in a Pinnacle home, because we wouldn't fit in anything we could afford anymore.