Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Twentynine Palms Ladies

1. Regular Member

Hello Twentynine Palms Ladies

Advertisements
    Hey!

DH just got orders to 29 Palms! I've heard so many different things about the place but I am looking on the bright side of things Should be very interesting moving from rainy mild Pacific Northwest to the Mojave Desert! I'm kinda nervous about meeting people and making friends. Would love to find some gals that have similar interests and wouldn't mind hanging out maybe showing me around??
  2. Senior Member
    my exDF is stationed there. IF you like to go hiking there is a lot of that to do there. cute little cowboy type town there. Also Palm Springs is maybe a 30-40 minute drive from there. For a weekend/ long day trip you can hit up the beach and find things to do towards that area as well!
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinElizabeth View Post
    my exDF is stationed there. IF you like to go hiking there is a lot of that to do there. cute little cowboy type town there. Also Palm Springs is maybe a 30-40 minute drive from there. For a weekend/ long day trip you can hit up the beach and find things to do towards that area as well!
    Hey! Ironically, hubbs and I went to Portland to get him some Danners for work. I picked up some hiking boots (more for a just in case scenario) and looks like I will actually be using them quite a bit! The Joshua Tree NP looks like an interesting place to check out I was wondering if what MapQuest says about Palm Springs being more than an hour away? I'm considering riding horses over there but was a little deterred by the hour long commute.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandria♥ View Post
    Hey! Ironically, hubbs and I went to Portland to get him some Danners for work. I picked up some hiking boots (more for a just in case scenario) and looks like I will actually be using them quite a bit! The Joshua Tree NP looks like an interesting place to check out I was wondering if what MapQuest says about Palm Springs being more than an hour away? I'm considering riding horses over there but was a little deterred by the hour long commute.
    I've been there and both places are beautiful. You will be able to get into Joshua Tree for free if you show them your dependent ID. They will give you an annual pass that will let you get into all National Parks for free. You just have to keep on renewing it each year.

5. Senior Member
    I don't think its more than an hour away, but then again I drive on the faster side (working on that..lol).
    The national park is fun. There's just stuff you kind of have to explore and find. I've never lived there, just experience from when I visited. I did live 3 hours away from 29, which yes its a drive but the outer skirts are worth seeing. I know 29 is also about 2 hours from the mountains, 4 hours from vegas, 3 hours from the beach.
  6. Senior Member
    We absolutely LOVED living there. Palm Springs is about 1+ hour away depending on traffic and where exactly you are headed. We terribly miss 29, so much so that we are counting down until we go back...2.5 years and counting down...

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  7. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    i adore living here. takes me exactly 45 minutes to get to palm springs. but i only go when i feel like shopping, more or less. there's a ton of stuff to do around here, as long as you don't get wrapped up in the "there's nothing to dooooooo" club and never leave base.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I've been there and both places are beautiful. You will be able to get into Joshua Tree for free if you show them your dependent ID. They will give you an annual pass that will let you get into all National Parks for free. You just have to keep on renewing it each year.
    That's good to know! Some of the places in WA for hiking/sight seeing and such can get pretty spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinElizabeth View Post
    I don't think its more than an hour away, but then again I drive on the faster side (working on that..lol).
    The national park is fun. There's just stuff you kind of have to explore and find. I've never lived there, just experience from when I visited. I did live 3 hours away from 29, which yes its a drive but the outer skirts are worth seeing. I know 29 is also about 2 hours from the mountains, 4 hours from vegas, 3 hours from the beach.
    Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by itchywitch View Post
    We absolutely LOVED living there. Palm Springs is about 1+ hour away depending on traffic and where exactly you are headed. We terribly miss 29, so much so that we are counting down until we go back...2.5 years and counting down...
    That's really interesting! I guess the desert never struck me as a "hot spot" (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    i adore living here. takes me exactly 45 minutes to get to palm springs. but i only go when i feel like shopping, more or less. there's a ton of stuff to do around here, as long as you don't get wrapped up in the "there's nothing to dooooooo" club and never leave base.
    I can totally do 45 - minutes to an hour especially because I'm gunning for a solid place to ride horses within my discipline. I have heard that it's definitely what you make of it so I for sure plan on taking every travel opportunity.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

29 palms

Hey! I just moved to 29 palms about 6 months ago. My husband and I are in the process of moving from our rental to base housing(hopefully within the next month or so). When do you move? It's not so bad here if you know where to look. Yucca Valley has some things to do however it's been very hard to meet other wives because it's such a small town, there aren't many places to go to meet people and make friends!
  10. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

Grumpy

29 palms is actually great. Once you adjust to the lifestyle. DG and I once experienced 29 palms at it's worst conditions. At the time we were thinking about our first child and weather conditions couldn't have been any hotter. But we survived and eventually made good use of our time in 29 palms.