Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: San Diego Housing - Single Homes?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

San Diego Housing - Single Homes?

Advertisements
    Hello! New here!

I am sure this is a frequent question, so I apologize. I did a lot of searching, but most posts were older.

We are likely moving to SD after school gets out next spring. My husband would be at Naval Base SD, on shore duty. We have 4 kiddos and one 80lb goldendoodle, husband is an e-7.

My main questions are, are there any single family homes for us in the navy housing system out there? Looking at the photos on Lincoln's site, it looks like most are townhouse or duplex style, but they do a good job of skirting around stating it for sure, lol.

I'd prefer to live out in town, but we will have kids in both elementary and middle school, and there looks like there is so much room for error in such a large area. Obviously cost is a big factor, so military housing seems almost a requirement.

Also, I was looking at Miramar Capeharts East. I know the waist list is long, but does anyone know if they require you be stationed on that base to live there?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can share any info.
  2. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SanD...singGoToGuide/

That link is to a facebook group for housing here in San Diego. I'm sure you will find all the answers you are looking for an more there.

I'm not familar with Miramar Capeharts but I'm like 90% sure you do not have to be stationed on that base to live there. As long as it's a Lincoln property, I think it's fine.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks! I did apply to join that group earlier. Looking again, entering all our info it says M-CH is one of our options. SD house hunting is so scary to me!
  4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by impromptukiss View Post
    Thanks! I did apply to join that group earlier. Looking again, entering all our info it says M-CH is one of our options. SD house hunting is so scary to me!
    Yeah, I totally get it. Been there done done that and it's hard. Hopefully, they get you approved quickly.
  5. Senior Member
    Admiral Hartman is in the Pacific Beach area, has single family homes, allows dogs and takes those e-6 or above. My friend lives there and loves it. She doesn't have kids but she says people like it for the good schools. Only problem is that the waitlist is long! Technically I'm on the waitlist for a 3 bedroom but I don't think it will be happening anytime soon!
  6. Senior Member
    We're in Chesterton single family homes. Have been for 3 years. But they are only 3-4 bedrooms. E6 and above. We love it here. HUGE back yards. The homes are small but the quiet area makes up for it. The middle school sucks, so people choice their children to other schools. The Elem school is good. The high school is ok. Some choice out as well.

I have a friend that moved from Chesterton to Miramar Capeharts East. Her husband is Navy, but anyone can live there if they are stationed in the SD area. The wait is forever long. She was on the list for 28 months. Got on the list as soon as she found out she was pregnant with twins. But the wait is SOOO worth it she said.

7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SubmarineWife View Post
    We're in Chesterton single family homes. Have been for 3 years. But they are only 3-4 bedrooms. E6 and above. We love it here. HUGE back yards. The homes are small but the quiet area makes up for it. The middle school sucks, so people choice their children to other schools. The Elem school is good. The high school is ok. Some choice out as well.

I have a friend that moved from Chesterton to Miramar Capeharts East. Her husband is Navy, but anyone can live there if they are stationed in the SD area. The wait is forever long. She was on the list for 28 months. Got on the list as soon as she found out she was pregnant with twins. But the wait is SOOO worth it she said.
    Thanks! Middle school is a big worry since my oldest will be going in to 7th when we get there. Then her little brother will not be far behind, going into 5th. Hmm ... :/