Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Cal weekend getaways?

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

So Cal weekend getaways?

Advertisements
    I'm looking for a destination for a weekend getaway for DH and I. I want it to be within about 3 hours of driving from San Diego. Anyone have any ideas? The only 2 things I can think of are Disneyland and Hollywood Has anyone been out to Palm Springs or out into the desert at all? Would you recommend it?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Senior Member
    Disneyland was a BLAST when I went. We had the park hop pass things. Also, there is Magic Mountain in LA. That place was AMAZING! (It has been a "few" years since Ive been to either, though ) The next day we went to Laguna Beach, but it didn't seem all that much different than any other beach to me, other than being really crowded.
  3. Senior Member
    I'm a little familiar with Palm Springs

My BIL really loves the Agua Caliente resort in Palm Springs and since it's summertime it should be pretty cheap. Hot desert = nobody wants to go to Palm Springs I have never been but I hear really good things about it!
    I really liked Temecula when I went a few years ago, that's pretty close to you I believe. that's on my list of things I might be doing for my birthday this year.
    Uhm...we have Joshua Tree National Park but IMO it's not the right time of year for that. Too hot. But you might feel differently. The park itself is really cool, and there's a lot of really cool little shops in town also.
    I'm hearing good things about Catalina Island, but again have never actually been.
    Maybe a beach house for the weekend somewhere like Huntington Beach or Newport Beach?
  4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

I just got back on Thursday from Santa Ynez Valley. I think it took me 4 1/2 hours to get there but traffic was BBAADDD in LA. I was there for 2 nights and loved it. I stayed in the Marriott in Buellton but the near by town had so much fun stuff. I walked through a small farmers maket. There was wine and beer tastings all over the place. the beach was 15 minutes away. The pool was amazing. Free wifi and free parking.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I'm looking for a destination for a weekend getaway for DH and I. I want it to be within about 3 hours of driving from San Diego. Anyone have any ideas? The only 2 things I can think of are Disneyland and Hollywood Has anyone been out to Palm Springs or out into the desert at all? Would you recommend it?
    Just moved here in April and I've been wondering the same thing! In Philly it is so easy to get to so many places but here I'm not sure where to go!

Let me know what you guys end up doing.
  6. Senior Member
    Palm Springs,,Catalina, Take a drive up the 1 to check out all of the beach cities,,Hollywood is okay anything in the LA direction will have you spending quality time in traffic no matter the time or day so keep that in mind ,,I really wouldnt suggest Disneyland at this time of the year if you don't like crowds with kids being out of school and all, especially if it is hot its is just not a good combination
  7. Senior Member
    Palm Springs is a pretty chill place, but it'snice ot go and relax. There's a cable car you can take up to the top of a mountain, and you can bring a picnic. It's nice in the heat because it's so much cooler up there.

What about Santa Barbara? I think it's a bit longer than 3 hours, but it's a nice weekend trip location.

Depending on what you want to do, Orange Country has some really nice beaches.

Much closer, you can check out the Scripps Aquarium or hike in Torrey Pines. You could combine all the La Jolla are stuff for a weekend staycation, easily.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Palm Springs is a pretty chill place, but it'snice ot go and relax. There's a cable car you can take up to the top of a mountain, and you can bring a picnic. It's nice in the heat because it's so much cooler up there.
    I totally forgot about that! It's the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. You take it up the mountain and I believe there's a shop and a restaurant up there. They also do a ride and dine ticket which I think is supposed to be a cheaper option than buying each separately.
  9. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Ask Lorem Ipsum. She lives in the desert, about an hour from Palm Springs She's obsessed with it and can probably point you to some fun activities.
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Thanks for the input everyone! I've done quite a bit of searching and thinking based on everyone's suggestions. DH and I have decided to go for a rural mountain getaway. Somehow, my technology-loving geek of a husband has the soul of the country boy deep down inside so stuff like log cabins and mountains and getting to wear flannel makes him super happy

We've decided we're going to Idyllwild, CA. A tiny town in the Santa Rosa-San Jacinto mountains a little bit southwest of Palm Springs. It's just over 2 hours from our house. We might drive over to Palm Springs for an evening and check it out too. But it will probably just be a lot of hiking and cuddling by the fire

We don't know exactly when we're going yet because DH is still waiting for his on-call schedule to come out but I'll be sure to make a thread with pics once we're back
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast