Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in San Diego?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Anyone in San Diego?

Advertisements
    Hey all,
    My sailor and I will be getting married within the next couple months, so I'll be moving to SD, where he is stationed. I wanna get to know some of the ladies in the area, so I'll have some friends down there while he is gone.

Anyone in San Diego or the surrounding area (we'll likely be living in Alpine)
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    welcome!

Alpine?!? That's quite a ways from the bases! Are you sure your DH will want to commute that far?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you! And is it that far? He said it shouldn't be more than 45 minutes :/
  4. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

My DH and I are in San Diego.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Katiebee, Yay!! how much longer will you be in San Diego?
  6. Senior Member
    Depending on which base he's at, if he travels during rush hour, it could easily be an hour, or even much more. We lived in La Mesa at one point, which is much less far east than Alpine, and when traffic was bad, it could take DH 40 minutes o get home from NASNI. And Alpine is *at least* another 15 minutes, if not half an hour, or even more at 5pm or 745 am. It wouldn't surprise me if some days were an hour and a half.

Alpine is way, way out East. It's a pretty rural area, relative to San Diego. No way would I choose to live there, both for commute reasons and because you are pretty far away from most of the fun stuff in San Diego, and from where most people live. And a long commute is way more expensive than most people credit it with being, so a place closer might cost more in rent, but end up costing you less overall.
    Last edited by villanelle; 06-01-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Yeah, like Villa said, Alpine is rural. I'd maybe retire there and have a horse farm, but I'd never live there now. I'd honestly try to find something a lot closer to base. Traffic is almost always horrible and having all of your time sucked up by commuting just sucks. If you want help looking at closer stuff, let me know! Your DH will be on 32nd st base, right? Or is it one of the other bases?
  8. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by adaxel View Post
    Katiebee, Yay!! how much longer will you be in San Diego?
    No clue, but at least a while.

And I agree w/ other posters. I would rather live closer to town, especially if you are younger and have no children. San Diego is was too fun to love far away.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Well he and i are country lovers, that's why we were interested in the town He and I just aren't huge fans of the city But if it's that far then maybe not... :/

And yes, he's on the 32nd street base, he's just living on the ship right now until we get married.

Also, I'm totally new to this site, is there anyway that I can like private message you ladies so I can get to know you guys?
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    yeah, I just checked the distance between Alpine and where I used to live and it's an additional 15 miles farther than what my DH's commute used to be. And he used to spend anywhere from 45-80 minutes to get home :/

To give you another example of San Diego traffic, I currently live 12 miles from my work and it takes me around 50 minutes to get home.

I would really very strongly suggest living much closer. San Diego has so many nice neighborhoods that there's no reason to live so far away.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast