Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measles in San Diego!!

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

Exclamation Measles in San Diego!!

Advertisements
    Just got this from DH's old ombudsman. Hope none of you were exposed!

A person diagnosed with measles may have exposed others to the disease at four different locations in the County from March 3 through 10, the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) reported today.

The individual is linked to a previously reported San Diego resident who contracted measles after a recent trip to the Philippines. This is the third additional case linked to the original exposure.

“Measles is a very contagious disease that can be spread easily by coughing, sneezing or being in the same room with an infected person,” said Wilma Wooten, M.D., M.P.H., County public health officer.

The newly diagnosed individual may have exposed members of the public at the following locations:

Veterans Affairs (VA) Chula Vista Clinic, 835 3rd Ave., Chula Vista, from March 3 – 7 and on March 10 from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    24 Hour Fitness, 870 Amena Court, Chula Vista, on March 3 and March 9 between 6:30 and 10:30 p.m.
    Mater Dei Catholic Church, 1571 Magdalena Ave., Chula Vista, on March 5 between 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. and March 9 between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.
    Navy Exchange Main Store, Naval Base San Diego, 2260 Callagan Hwy., on March 9 between 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

HHSA, VA and Navy public health officials are contacting individuals who were known to be at the listed locations during the exposure periods to determine if they have been vaccinated. People who have not been vaccinated, or who have not had measles, should contact their doctors within one week of the date of exposure for evaluation and preventive treatment if appropriate. Those who are without a health provider can contact the HHSA Epidemiology Branch at (619) 692-8499.

Measles develops seven to 21 days after exposure. Early symptoms include cough, runny nose and red eyes. The distinctive red rash usually appears one to four days after early symptoms appear. A person is considered contagious four days before the rash appears. The rash begins on the face and head then proceeds downward and outward to the hands and feet. It fades in the same order it began, from head to feet.

“Anyone who was at any of the specific locations should watch for symptoms and contact their health care provider by phone if they show any signs of the disease,” said Wooten. “We ask people with symptoms to phone their doctor’s office in advance, rather than visit an office directly, so that infection control measures may be implemented to prevent exposure to others.”

All persons born in 1957 or after should have documentation of at least one dose of MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine or other evidence of immunity to measles. The CDC recommends two doses of the vaccine: the first at 12 months of age, and the second between ages 4 - 6.

Complications from measles are more common in children younger than 5 years old and adults 20 years and older. Complications can include diarrhea, ear infection and pneumonia. Death can occur from severe complications and the risk is higher among younger children and adults. There is no treatment for measles. Bed rest, fluids and fever control are recommended. People with complications may need treatment for their specific problem.

For more information about measles, other vaccine-preventable diseases and the shots that protect against them, please call the HHSA Immunization Branch at (866) 358-2966 or visit the website at Welcome to the San Diego Immunization Program Website!.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Senior Member
    These kinds of stories just piss me off.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  3. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    My kids have all been vaccinated, thankfully. And we weren't around those areas on those days/times. But I feel bad for those who were.

4. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    We have had two cases in Hawaii.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  5. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

My DH and my sister's boyfriend were at the main NEX on the 9th but it was around 1pm. Close call.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaRocks View Post
    We have had two cases in Hawaii.
    I was going to say the same thing, and the circumstances are very similar.
  7. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Aren't there certain shots that you have to get before traveling to specific countries? Would this one have been on that list?

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    These kinds of stories just piss me off.
    Yep.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jensscrnnm View Post
    Aren't there certain shots that you have to get before traveling to specific countries? Would this one have been on that list?
    I don't know about the case in San Diego, but the case here was from an infant that was 11 months old. MMR shots are done at 18 months, if I recall correctly. I know that they're done after 12 months of age at least.

ETA: And that's one dose. The second dose is around age 5, before entering school.
  10. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyluvbug View Post
    I don't know about the case in San Diego, but the case here was from an infant that was 11 months old. MMR shots are done at 18 months, if I recall correctly. I know that they're done after 12 months of age at least.

ETA: And that's one dose. The second dose is around age 5, before entering school.
    The first is between 12-15 months and the second between 4-6 years. The CDC also recommends children getting a dose of the MMR before international travel, if between 6-11 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast