Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officer housing in San Deigo (32nd Street)

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Officer housing in San Deigo (32nd Street)

Advertisements
    I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the military housing qualifications for our PCS to San Deigo next year. We are currently statioed at NSA Mid South near Memphis, TN. We have been here for 3+ years and have purchased a house out in town. Previously we were stationed in Hawaii at Pearl Harbor and were renting out in town. We have never dealt with military housing, as we always have been able to find housing out in town that utlizes less then DHs BAH. I'm not sure that will be the case out in San Deigo. We will be heading out there with DH being an O1E with 10+ years of service. The BAH recently went down for California and most of the off base housing that we're looking at takes up all or most of the BAH, leaving nothing for utilites. This has swayed us into looking at military housing. I am currently pregnant, and will have a 6 month old baby girl by the time we leave here. We also have one dog (a brittany spanial that will weigh aprox 30-40 pounds when fully grown). From what I understand we will only qualify for a 2 bedroom house with our family size. I have been on the Lincon Military website and printed out the January officer waiting periods. There are only 6 communites listed (Admiral Hartman, MCAS Miramar, MCAS Miramar Capehart, Murphey Canyon Heights, NAS North Island, and NAM Coronado) Out of the 6, we don't qualify for 2 (MCAS Miramar - no dogs and NAB Coronado - no units for W1-03) Out of the other 4, the only one with 2 bedrooms is NAS North Island and the wait period is 12-13 months. We are really interested in the Admiral Hartman houses as the wait is only 3-4 months for a 3 bedroom. Would this not be possible because of our family size? I know that they don't even put you on a waitlist until you detach from your current command, which is fine, as DH will be spending 4 months in transit for schooling.

I'm just so overwhelmed with this process. I'm trying to get an early start before the baby gets here and we get our current house ready for sale. Can anybody help out?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I do not think you would only qualify for a 2 bedroom. DH is senior enlisted with no kids and we qualified for a 3 or 4 bedroom.
    your best bet is to call the housing office and ask.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I would call housing as well & see what they say.

Welcome to SOS & congrats on your pregnancy!
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We're dealing with housing right now and your best bet is to call. But without filling out the paperwork first, they may not be able to fully inform you. And you'll need to speak with them, not housing where you are. Housing where you are can say what they think but housing there will have the most accurate info.
  5. Senior Member
    Welcome!

I've heard of people without kids qualifying for a 3 bed in AH so I'm guessing it would be posisble for you as well! I've also heard that the wait list is not nearly as long as they say it wil be. I'm headed to San Diego in April and we are considering AH as well! Most likely though wie will be living on the economy. Good luck!
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I will be calling the housing office in the next few weeks. We don't even have hard orders yet, so I'm not sure how much information they will actually be able to give me. As of right now we have his comminssioning date of September 1st, his first schooling dates and a rough estimate of his second schooling dates. It will put us in San Diego around mid January 2015. Does anybody have any pictures of the Admiral Hartman houses on the inside. I've searched all over and can only find one of the outside. I can also look at the google street view of the neighborhood, but I'm interested seeing the inside. Also, anybody that has lived in this community, could you please give an honest review of the pros and cons of it. We're late 20s and starting our family, but I think we'll enjoy the younger Pacific Beach community. We don't go out and party like we used to, but we love supporting local businesses and having the beach right there seems like it would be fun for family outings.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yeah you can't fill out the paperwork yet. DH just did the paperwork a couple days ago but he has his hard orders. He begins turnover April 15/16...can't remember the exact date....and he officially checks in the end of June. In between there he has 2 schools, too. His commission date is either April 1 or March 21. We're waiting on word from the ship if they'll pay for the kids and I to move in July but right now they won't so that puts his commission in March. If they will then he'll commission in April. Good luck with the pics!! I don't know anything about that area as we've never been stationed in CA.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    BLB, will you be moving to San Deigo?
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No, we're moving from VA to WA. DH will be on the Stennis. It'll be his second time as ship's company. He has been in a squadron and....not sure what RDC duty in Great Lakes would be classified as. lol
  10. By the power of Greyskull...
    By the power of Greyskull...
    For what it's worth, Coronado and North Island are beautiful. :heart My heart gets happy every time I went over that bridge (my BIL is stationed out there).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast