Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help!! Where to live in San Diego??

1. Senior Member

Help!! Where to live in San Diego??

Advertisements
    DH has orders to report to San Diego (32nd Street) in April and now I need help with where to live! Background on us young 30s, no kids, 1 car (love to walk everywhere), currently living in Philly.

In San Diego I want 2-3 bedrooms in a nice, safe neighborhood for around $2000 a month. I am a city girl so I'd do better in an urban environment than a suburban one. I also love the beach! Would love to be able to walk or take public trans to restaurants, bars, museums, etc. We are not into clubs and are not huge into partying but we really enjoy a chill bar and good food.

Any and all suggestions about which neighborhoods would be a good fit are greatly appreciated! Also if you have any information on specific apartment buildings or reliable property management companies, I'd appreciate that as well!

PS. I can't wait to meet all the ladies/gents currently living in SD!
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Welcome! Do you guys have a preference for military housing versus not? Honestly, you'll get more for your money with military housing in SD. The beach areas tend to be extremely expensive or extremely sketchy so honestly I'd stay away from them.

Also pets? Or plans to get pets? Some apartments have very strict pet rules.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Also do you want an apartment? Or a house? Or condo?
  4. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    When I lived there I lived in Point Loma and liked it. Not sure if your DH would rather be closer to the base though.

I lived here and it was pretty nice. I had no complaints. We only got the single bedroom though since we had no kids. I'm not sure how the multiple bedrooms ones are or how big they are.

http://www.marinerscoveapartmenthomes.com/
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Welcome! Do you guys have a preference for military housing versus not? Honestly, you'll get more for your money with military housing in SD. The beach areas tend to be extremely expensive or extremely sketchy so honestly I'd stay away from them.

Also pets? Or plans to get pets? Some apartments have very strict pet rules.
    I've briefly considered millitary housing but it doesn't look like there are many options for us and I'm not loving the locations. The only possibility I'm considering is Admiral Hartman which is in pacific beach but I think it has a long wait. Are there other communities that you'd recomend?

We dont' have pets and don't plan to get any while we were in SD.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Also do you want an apartment? Or a house? Or condo?
    Any of those options are fine by me.
  7. Senior Member
    For $2000, I don't think you are going to find anything with 3 bedrooms in a super walkable area. *Maybe* some parts of La Mesa, near the La Mesa village area would give you that.

Areas like North Park, Kensington, Hillcrest, and anything near Balboa Park are super walkable. But also pricey. They are not at all suburban. Little Italy (part of downtown) is another good choice, but like the others, probably pushing your price range, though it can't hurt to look.

And, of course, downtown proper.

I would avoid the beach, both because in general there is a lot of property crime and because they are expensive and yet mostly houses are older and worn down.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna*Banana View Post
    I've briefly considered millitary housing but it doesn't look like there are many options for us and I'm not loving the locations. The only possibility I'm considering is Admiral Hartman which is in pacific beach but I think it has a long wait. Are there other communities that you'd recomend?

I've never actually lived in military housing so I can't give any specific recommendations but I do know that you get more for your money, so to speak. However, if you are willing to pay up to 2K per month, you should be fine. DH and I are moving soon (up to the north part of SD) and will be paying 1550$ for 1 bedroom, 700 sq ft.

If you want to live within like 20-30 minutes of the base so your Dh doesn't have a ridiculous commute, I'd recommend the areas/neighborhoods of: Clairemont, La Mesa, Bonita, Mission Valley, Downtown/Gaslamp/Little Italy, maybe Chula Vista.North and South park areas are quite trendy and under new development and I would live there.
    Places to avoid, imo, are National City, Lemon Grove, Spring Valley. I've also heard bad things about the San Ysidro area since it's right on the border.
  9. Senior Member
    Getting more for you money definitely depends on rank, and number of kids. Since the OP has no kids, she is starting our behind already. She gets the same BAH as someone with kids, yet qualifies for a smaller house. So that's not a universal truth. The lower the rank and the larger the family, the better deal military housing becomes.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna*Banana View Post

With no children AH will be hard to get since they are 3-4 bedrooms and with military housing and no children you only qualify for a 2 bedroom. The wait list isn't all that long though. So in all reality you'd be better off looking out in town at rentals. You get more for your money the further you get from downtown. Santee and Eastlake are where people usually rent since its more for your money.

You could look into military housing on Coronado though. Its on the beach and nice. But bridge traffic can be bad at times with a jumper or wreck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast