Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Help!! Where to live in San Diego??

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggleWiggle~ View Post
    what do you consiter close to the beach?
    I guess I think of city locations being something like Little Italy, Hillcrest, etc and beach locations being something more like pacific beach. But I've heard that you are never far from the beach in most places in San Diego which is awesome!
  2. sassypants
    sassypants
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna*Banana View Post
    I guess I think of city locations being something like Little Italy, Hillcrest, etc and beach locations being something more like pacific beach. But I've heard that you are never far from the beach in most places in San Diego which is awesome!
    This

I am coming from the perspective of a native, not mil housing, but in general, the places you can afford right by the beach are not the places you want to be at right by the beach. Personally, I would live in PB, but I am 23 and still like to go out. Past that point PB is slightly over rated. I really really like Mission Bay area. $2000 a month will get you a mediore 2 bedroom near the beach, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck in La Mesa, Lemon grove, or even around the University area, but that tends to be a little sketch. I would avoid El cajon, national City and Chula Vista, though there are some REALLY nice places in Chula VIsta.....they arej ust a bit off the path. I would look in Linda Vista, Hillcrest (I like hillcrest but it is the boys town of san diego, so If your DB/DH may not like that that is fine) and around balboa

just my two cents I would avoid north park, though I have heard they have cleaned up a LOT
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggleWiggle~ View Post
    This

I am coming from the perspective of a native, not mil housing, but in general, the places you can afford right by the beach are not the places you want to be at right by the beach. Personally, I would live in PB, but I am 23 and still like to go out. Past that point PB is slightly over rated. I really really like Mission Bay area. $2000 a month will get you a mediore 2 bedroom near the beach, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck in La Mesa, Lemon grove, or even around the University area, but that tends to be a little sketch. I would avoid El cajon, national City and Chula Vista, though there are some REALLY nice places in Chula VIsta.....they arej ust a bit off the path. I would look in Linda Vista, Hillcrest (I like hillcrest but it is the boys town of san diego, so If your DB/DH may not like that that is fine) and around balboa

just my two cents I would avoid north park, though I have heard they have cleaned up a LOT
    This. You don't want to live anywhere [that you can afford] within walking distance of the beach. So with that off the table, does it really matter much if the beach is a 7 minute drive, or a 13 minute drive?

The only part I disagree with is North Park. It has been crazy gentrified and is actually a super nice, very cool area now. It was starting before we left, but we have friends who moved there and we visited them about a year ago, and the difference in the 3 years we'd been gone was *huge*. And as I said it was definitely coming around even before we left. Actually, I think it's starting to be very similar to Hillcrest in that it is older homes revamped quite well, with shops and restaurants within walking distance. It's fast becoming the place that young 30-somethings move, even those with little kids! If they don't want the suburbia of Eastlake, North Park is the place to be.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. sassypants
    sassypants
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    This. You don't want to live anywhere [that you can afford] within walking distance of the beach. So with that off the table, does it really matter much if the beach is a 7 minute drive, or a 13 minute drive?

The only part I disagree with is North Park. It has been crazy gentrified and is actually a super nice, very cool area now. It was starting before we left, but we have friends who moved there and we visited them about a year ago, and the difference in the 3 years we'd been gone was *huge*. And as I said it was definitely coming around even before we left. Actually, I think it's starting to be very similar to Hillcrest in that it is older homes revamped quite well, with shops and restaurants within walking distance. It's fast becoming the place that young 30-somethings move, even those with little kids! If they don't want the suburbia of Eastlake, North Park is the place to be.
    nice! It has been a while since I have been in north park, and all I remember is old north park
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  5. Regular Member

Confused

Depending on Your age/inclination to party, you may hate PB. I went out in PB all through college, the median age in bars ect is about 22. You couldn't pay me to live there now. I love San Diego though so much, hope you enjoy living there!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna*Banana View Post
    You aren't really. Im 10 mins from the beach.. but im also 10-15 mins from anywhere in san diego lol. I can get to the outlet malls at the last USA exit in 15 mins with no traffic. Its the smallest big city i've seen.

7. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

DH and I have a condo in Little Italy, its right downtown in a very walkable part of San Diego. We have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and are paying $2150 rent, no utilities included.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Ok I know I am kinda late on replying but if your still interested in checking out places. Check out San Diego area, city heights, north park, national city , Chula Vista, and possibly imperial beach. You might like some more than others but if you have any questions feel free to ask me. By the way all those locations are near 32nd street.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234