Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Help!! Where to live in San Diego??

  1. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,778
    #21
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna*Banana View Post
    Just curious... what happens if people are on the housing waiting list for months? If we stay in the lodge at $100 a day for 30 days then we'll spend more then we get in BAH .
    If you are months out on the wait list, then move into an apartment. If you want to hold out hope for housing, find a place where you can rent month-to-month, but most people I know, if housing is going to take forever, just give up and move into a civilian house for good.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Senior Member
    SubmarineWife's Avatar
    SubmarineWife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,827
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna*Banana View Post
    Just curious... what happens if people are on the housing waiting list for months? If we stay in the lodge at $100 a day for 30 days then we'll spend more then we get in BAH .
    Thats when you stay here instead of the lodge Community Amenities| The Clubhouse at Imperial Beach Apartments for Rent in San Diego CA 92154

    Or here http://www.foxwoodapartments.com/san...itary-housing/



  3. Senior Member
    Anna*Banana's Avatar
    Anna*Banana is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,127
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If you are months out on the wait list, then move into an apartment. If you want to hold out hope for housing, find a place where you can rent month-to-month, but most people I know, if housing is going to take forever, just give up and move into a civilian house for good.
    Makes sense. Thanks for the links!
  4. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,068
    #24
    Month to month can be ridiculously expensive here so I hope you don't have to do that! It's like >500$/month more than what you'd pay with a 12 month lease.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Senior Member
    Anna*Banana's Avatar
    Anna*Banana is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,127
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Month to month can be ridiculously expensive here so I hope you don't have to do that! It's like >500$/month more than what you'd pay with a 12 month lease.
    Wow!! That would be horrible. I really think we won't do military housing but just good to know in case it turns out to be the best option.
  6. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,778
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna*Banana View Post
    Wow!! That would be horrible. I really think we won't do military housing but just good to know in case it turns out to be the best option.

    You can always show up and ask about the wait lists, and decide from there. Maybe there will be something available and that you like, and you won't have to wait more than a few weeks. It's not likely, but you never know. If it something that interest you, it can't hurt to ask.

    At O-3 BAH with no kids, you can probably do better on the economy, but keep in mind when looking that BAH is supposed to cover utilities as well, so if you go to the top of you BAH for just rent, things might be a bit tighter than you'd like.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member
    Anna*Banana's Avatar
    Anna*Banana is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,127
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    You can always show up and ask about the wait lists, and decide from there. Maybe there will be something available and that you like, and you won't have to wait more than a few weeks. It's not likely, but you never know. If it something that interest you, it can't hurt to ask.

    At O-3 BAH with no kids, you can probably do better on the economy, but keep in mind when looking that BAH is supposed to cover utilities as well, so if you go to the top of you BAH for just rent, things might be a bit tighter than you'd like.
    I'm planning to spend up to 80% of BAH on rent. Does that sound reaosnable or should it be less?

    I'd love to live cheaply/simply and save as much BAH as we can but we downgraded our apartment in Philly this past summer and it was the worst decision ever. I now know that having afforable rent is important but its also very important to be comforatable in your own house since you spend a lot of time there
  8. Senior Member
    Anna*Banana's Avatar
    Anna*Banana is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,127
    #28
    If anyone has any other suggestions for apartment complexes or property management companies I'd greatly appreciate it!
  9. sassypants
    WiggleWiggle~'s Avatar
    WiggleWiggle~ is offline
    sassypants
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Encinitas
    Posts
    8,499
    #29
    what do you consiter close to the beach?
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  10. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,778
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna*Banana View Post
    I'm planning to spend up to 80% of BAH on rent. Does that sound reaosnable or should it be less?

    I'd love to live cheaply/simply and save as much BAH as we can but we downgraded our apartment in Philly this past summer and it was the worst decision ever. I now know that having afforable rent is important but its also very important to be comforatable in your own house since you spend a lot of time there
    That seems more than reasonable. A lot of it will also depend on how much you run your A/C in the summer.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •