Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help!! Where to live in San Diego??

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    I was going to recommend Silver Strand housing. It probably has a wait list. That's on Coronado, literally right on the beach. Pretty nice. They take all of your BAH and you would qualify for a 2 bed.

Honestly, there are so many options are far as where to live in SD. Housing or no housing. Downtown is going to be the non-suburban city area. So that would include most the places that Vill mentioned. I'd stay more North if you DO choose to live near downtown. South of downtown gets a little sketch. Unless you go all the way down and then to inland Chula Vista. Which I assume you do not.

Best of luck! San Diego is amazing.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SubmarineWife View Post
    With no children AH will be hard to get since they are 3-4 bedrooms and with military housing and no children you only qualify for a 2 bedroom. The wait list isn't all that long though. So in all reality you'd be better off looking out in town at rentals. You get more for your money the further you get from downtown. Santee and Eastlake are where people usually rent since its more for your money.

You could look into military housing on Coronado though. Its on the beach and nice. But bridge traffic can be bad at times with a jumper or wreck.
    This varies by rank, doesn't it? So it might not be the case. We never looked into military housing in SD so I can't say for sure, but I know most places take family size *and* rank into account when deciding what one qualifies for.

As for Eastlake, if the Op doesn't want Suburbia, that would be on the top of the list of places to avoid!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by =Mrs.AiNokeA= View Post
    When I lived there I lived in Point Loma and liked it. Not sure if your DH would rather be closer to the base though.

I lived here and it was pretty nice. I had no complaints. We only got the single bedroom though since we had no kids. I'm not sure how the multiple bedrooms ones are or how big they are.

Marinerís Cove Apartments | San Diego, CA | Home
    Thank you! I'll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    For $2000, I don't think you are going to find anything with 3 bedrooms in a super walkable area. *Maybe* some parts of La Mesa, near the La Mesa village area would give you that.

Areas like North Park, Kensington, Hillcrest, and anything near Balboa Park are super walkable. But also pricey. They are not at all suburban. Little Italy (part of downtown) is another good choice, but like the others, probably pushing your price range, though it can't hurt to look.

And, of course, downtown proper.

I would avoid the beach, both because in general there is a lot of property crime and because they are expensive and yet mostly houses are older and worn down.
    Thanks for the great info. From what I'm seeing I agree that 3 bedrooms in our budget would be pushing it. The places you mentioned around the park are what others have suggested as well. I'm liking the idea of little italy but I think its a balance between good location and space. Good to know about the beach areas! I hear that regardless of where you live the beach is close so maybe I'll scratch the beach towns off my list....

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I've never actually lived in military housing so I can't give any specific recommendations but I do know that you get more for your money, so to speak. However, if you are willing to pay up to 2K per month, you should be fine. DH and I are moving soon (up to the north part of SD) and will be paying 1550$ for 1 bedroom, 700 sq ft.

If you want to live within like 20-30 minutes of the base so your Dh doesn't have a ridiculous commute, I'd recommend the areas/neighborhoods of: Clairemont, La Mesa, Bonita, Mission Valley, Downtown/Gaslamp/Little Italy, maybe Chula Vista.North and South park areas are quite trendy and under new development and I would live there.
    Places to avoid, imo, are National City, Lemon Grove, Spring Valley. I've also heard bad things about the San Ysidro area since it's right on the border.
    I haven't heard of some of those areas yet so I'll definitly check them out! People are always mentioning North Park when I ask about San Diego. Also thanks for the info on what to avoid. Sometimes that info is just as important

With no children AH will be hard to get since they are 3-4 bedrooms and with military housing and no children you only qualify for a 2 bedroom. The wait list isn't all that long though. So in all reality you'd be better off looking out in town at rentals. You get more for your money the further you get from downtown. Santee and Eastlake are where people usually rent since its more for your money.

You could look into military housing on Coronado though. Its on the beach and nice. But bridge traffic can be bad at times with a jumper or wreck.
    I know one woman who was able to get a 3 bed in AH for just her and her husband so I figured it was possible although probably not very common. I'd love to live on Coronado but I didn't think I'd qualify and even if I did I was worried it would be a super long wait. Is the Coronado housing you are reffering to the same as what Abigail is referring to (Silver Strand)?

I'll also check out Santee and Eastlake.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I was going to recommend Silver Strand housing. It probably has a wait list. That's on Coronado, literally right on the beach. Pretty nice. They take all of your BAH and you would qualify for a 2 bed.

Honestly, there are so many options are far as where to live in SD. Housing or no housing. Downtown is going to be the non-suburban city area. So that would include most the places that Vill mentioned. I'd stay more North if you DO choose to live near downtown. South of downtown gets a little sketch. Unless you go all the way down and then to inland Chula Vista. Which I assume you do not.

Best of luck! San Diego is amazing.
    Thank you!! Its a high of 10 degrees here today and I'm super ready to be warm
  4. Senior Member
    Another question... when we arrive we are planning to stay in the North Island lodge while we look for housing. Is our stay at the lodge covered by the Navy or not?
  5. Senior Member
    I think you get a few days of TLA (or is it TLE?). After that, you are on your own, but you'll be getting BAH and won't have any rent, so in effect, it is covered at least partly by the BAH.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna*Banana View Post
    I know one woman who was able to get a 3 bed in AH for just her and her husband so I figured it was possible although probably not very common. I'd love to live on Coronado but I didn't think I'd qualify and even if I did I was worried it would be a super long wait. Is the Coronado housing you are reffering to the same as what Abigail is referring to (Silver Strand)?

I'll also check out Santee and Eastlake.
    Is your husband an E6 or above. You might get lucky and get a unit there if so. But with a long wait i wouldn't bank on it. Now if you were to look into Chesterton its possible. Chesterton is a mirror image as AH just not in a beach community. I actually live in CH housing. Yes Silver Strand is the housing i was talking about.

But being no kids, you can get more for your money out in town vs mil housing.

7. Senior Member
    Is your husband an E6 or above. You might get lucky and get a unit there if so. But with a long wait i wouldn't bank on it. Now if you were to look into Chesterton its possible. Chesterton is a mirror image as AH just not in a beach community. I actually live in CH housing. Yes Silver Strand is the housing i was talking about.

But being no kids, you can get more for your money out in town vs mil housing.
    DH will be O3. Is that make AH more of a possibility or less of a possibility?

I agree. I'm thinking that for our situation, we'll do better living in town than in miliarty housing but it is good to consider all my options before deciding.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I think you get a few days of TLA (or is it TLE?). After that, you are on your own, but you'll be getting BAH and won't have any rent, so in effect, it is covered at least partly by the BAH.
    Just curious... what happens if people are on the housing waiting list for months? If we stay in the lodge at $100 a day for 30 days then we'll spend more then we get in BAH .
  9. Senior Member
    Just curious... what happens if people are on the housing waiting list for months? If we stay in the lodge at $100 a day for 30 days then we'll spend more then we get in BAH .
    That's why it's best to get on it ASAP or grab something off the hot sheet.
  10. Senior Member
    DH will be O3. Is that make AH more of a possibility or less of a possibility?

I agree. I'm thinking that for our situation, we'll do better living in town than in miliarty housing but it is good to consider all my options before deciding.
    I'd say its either. Just depends on if the housing office is in a good mood that day or not lol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast