Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tucson

1. Senior Member

Tucson

Advertisements
    Anyone from there or lives there now? Love it or hate it? Is there decent shopping? How affordable is it to live there? Things to do on the weekends?
  2. Senior Member
    I'm from Tucson and I live in Tucson now. If you're a big nature person then Tucson is an awesome place to be. The shopping is decent, and if there's any call for super major crazy shopping then Phoenix isn't far away. Cost of living is fairly low, just like in most places there are good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods, but in general it's pretty nice for a reasonable price (although I might be a bit biased after living in San Diego for 3 years). If you have any specific questions about anything feel free to PM me.
  3. Senior Member
    I am from Tucson as well and I LOVE it here! Its really very reasonable in price, and there is plenty to do if you go out and find it! It is a city big on building culture, so there is always some festival, or activity, or something bringing people together. Get hooked up on facebook with Downtown Tucson and some of the independent businesses and you will see. I would never leave here if I had the choice. The summers get hot, yeah, but it's not unbearable. And the fall and winter and spring are so nice!!! Let me know if you have any questions about where in town to live, because there are definitely more preferable areas.
  4. Regular Member
    I grew up in Tucson, too....the advice above is great, so I'll just add....go to eegees!
  5. Senior Member
    I'm in Tucson as well and grew up here.

It's affordable to live here depending on what area of town honestly. I live in a neighborhood where rent is relatively cheap for what we have but it's also not a good neighborhood. It's just going to depend on what you're looking for, the size, the price range, etc.

I'm the odd man out because honestly, I hate summer here. Some days are more miserable than others. Monsoon season is nice until we get the humidity after the rain. The shopping could be worse. There's 3 malls in town and a variety of little shopping plazas. We have La Encantada which is the more ritzy shopping center in Tucson. That's where you'll find the Apple store, Bebe, Coach, Louis Vuitton, MAC, Tiffany and Co and stores like that. Phoenix is only an hour and a half away and there's plenty of awesome things there including Ikea and Rainforest Cafe Don't judge me, I love that place.

It's a big snow bird city so there's a lot of retirees here.
    Double Ring Proposal 10/5/2011 made Augusta my MSOS wifey
    skp is my rockin' Cali pal
    No more ticker!!! Deployment #2 is over
  6. Junior Member
    I loved Tucson! It was my first home in the States and we were there for 2 years (a little over). I love Arizona in general though - we are going to retire there for sure (not sure if it'd be the Phoenix area or Tucson yet). I love the weather - the heat, the monsoons. The scenery is beautiful - so many photo opportunities. I love the fact there are a thousand Ross's (the store). Phoenix, Flagstaff, San Diego, LA, Las Vegas are all within an 8 hour drive (LA being the furthest away). Ahhhh ... memories ... I miss it

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

7. Senior Member
    Thanks. We're looking there possibly for retirement. We have a lot of friends there with good jobs with Raytheon and others with GS jobs on base. I'm mid way through an accounting degree and that pretty much can go anywhere. We're going back and forth between Tucson and DC. I like the idea of somewhere not as crazy as DC (even though I love DC the cost of living freaks me out when he can make almost the same amount of money in AZ).

I'm from Florida so I'm not as worried about the heat. I heard it's not as much a humid heat there. I definitely want a swimming pool though, lol. We're looking at Vail school district for sure, so Rita Ranch or Vail. I think we'd rent a house the first year and then buy a home since it's hard to get a home loan during transition sometimes.