Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Diego - Honeymoon Help!

1. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech

Help San Diego - Honeymoon Help!

Advertisements
    We're celebrating out honeymoon nearly 2 years too late in San Diego over block leave. I have a few things planned (no exact dates yet) and just looking for restaurants close by and anything fun that isn't several hours to complete (I have those on lockdown, more or less) to fill in the gaps. I want to make the most of this trip since we don't leave post much and therefore miss out on a lot of fun things. We're also planning on catching up on many movies while we're dog-free. It takes an hour and a half to get to the theater and we don't like to kennel her longer than 5 or so hours.

I got some ideas from this thread: Delicious restaurants in San Diego

Here's what I have in absolutely no particular order...

Activities
    • LegoLand
    • Sea World
    • Japanese Friendship Garden
    • San Diego Zoo
    • USS Midway

Restaurants
    • Kyoto Sushi
    • The Melting Pot
    • Il Fornaio

I definitely could use assistance mixing and matching these activities with the restaurants so we're not driving all over the place all willy nilly like. I only have tickets for LegoLand and Sea World so far. I was waiting on the Zoo to see if it would work with our schedule. I also am looking into finding a good wine tasting tour. I found one that seems cool but would like some feedback from others... San Diego's Best Beer, Wine and Food Tours and Parties. | La Jolla Wine Tours

I booked Luna with the PetsMart Hotel from Monday July 8 with pick up on Saturday 13.
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Do you want to hang out on the beach at all?

What about Disneyland?

The zoo & the friendship garden are both at Balboa Park. Parking there can be INSANE (although the zoo has it's own lots). I recommend parking behind the Air & space museum. it's the only place I've reliably gotten a spot. They're still building the friendship garden so if that's your ONLY destination in Balboa I wouldn't go. However, some of the museums are free, there is gorgeous landscaping, and lots to look at. The friendship garden has a wonderful Japanese cafe too.

I would do the Midway followed by dinner downtown (the melting pot, perhaps). You'll probably need reservations at the Melting pot.

Legoland is kind of out in the middle of nowhere on it's own. Seaworld in right in Mission Beach and there's lots of beachy stuff + restaurants nearby.

Also, San Diego has a Broadway theater (if you like that sort of thing) Not sure what's showing right now but DH & I like to go.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Do you want to hang out on the beach at all?

What about Disneyland?

The zoo & the friendship garden are both at Balboa Park. Parking there can be INSANE (although the zoo has it's own lots). I recommend parking behind the Air & space museum. it's the only place I've reliably gotten a spot. They're still building the friendship garden so if that's your ONLY destination in Balboa I wouldn't go. However, some of the museums are free, there is gorgeous landscaping, and lots to look at. The friendship garden has a wonderful Japanese cafe too.

I would do the Midway followed by dinner downtown (the melting pot, perhaps). You'll probably need reservations at the Melting pot.

Legoland is kind of out in the middle of nowhere on it's own. Seaworld in right in Mission Beach and there's lots of beachy stuff + restaurants nearby.

Also, San Diego has a Broadway theater (if you like that sort of thing) Not sure what's showing right now but DH & I like to go.
    Thanks for the heads-up on Balboa. I suppose we will do the zoo then if the Japanese Garden is basically right in the area.

We won't be doing Disneyland. DH doesn't want to go ever again. I've already dragged him there twice and I want to do new things. Try different restaurants. That sort of thing.
  4. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    I forgot about going to the beach too. I heard there's a dog park in San Diego? Any information on that? I'd imagine Petsmart would let us take Luna out for a few hours so she could play at the beach for the first time. I guess preferably in the La Jolla area.
  5. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    I forgot about going to the beach too. I heard there's a dog park in San Diego? Any information on that? I'd imagine Petsmart would let us take Luna out for a few hours so she could play at the beach for the first time. I guess preferably in the La Jolla area.
    We go to the dog beach in Coronado.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  6. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    So you'd recommend walking from the zoo to the Garden? Any good restaurants in the area or in the zoo? If we're not done with the zoo before lunch time, we'll probably just eat in there. Unless they have a hand stamp that allows you to enter again the same day with ticket.
  7. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    We go to the dog beach in Coronado.
    I guess it'd just make sense to go there the day we leave San Diego. That might work, despite having a dirty dog in the back seat of my car. But it wouldn't make sense to drive half hour to pick her up, go to the beach and drive half hour back to drop her off... I just really want to take her to the beach some day. I know she'd love it.
  8. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I guess it'd just make sense to go there the day we leave San Diego. That might work, despite having a dirty dog in the back seat of my car. But it wouldn't make sense to drive half hour to pick her up, go to the beach and drive half hour back to drop her off... I just really want to take her to the beach some day. I know she'd love it.
    Not sure what time you plan on leaving but if going to a beach in La Jolla is better, there's La Jolla Shores but dogs are only permitted from 6pm - 9am.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    So you'd recommend walking from the zoo to the Garden? Any good restaurants in the area or in the zoo? If we're not done with the zoo before lunch time, we'll probably just eat in there. Unless they have a hand stamp that allows you to enter again the same day with ticket.
    Hmm I'm not sure how walking from the zoo to the garden would work. I mean, the zoo itself is ginormous. You likely won't finish by lunch. I've spent an entire day there and missed some things. But you could easily drive from the zoo lots to Balboa park proper and park again. All I remember about zoo food was that it was crazy expensive.
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Ask Katiebee! She's taken her doggy to a couple doggy beaches in SD, I think.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast