Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Possibly moving to Cannon

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Possibly moving to Cannon

Advertisements
    I am new to this site and was hoping you girls can help. I need info on everything to do with Cannon. Should we live on or off base. Where are the best grade schools? Pre-schools? My son is also in Speech Therapy. Are there any services there? How am I going to survive without Starbucks? TIA!
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

There is a fair chance that you may not be coming here due to your son needing speech services. I wouldn't be too worried until your family gets the go ahead from EFMP. I've had several friends get order changed due to medical conditions or therapies.

As far as schools are concerned, they are ok...some of my friends kids go to the local Christian school. My dd is at the ps, as a freshman. Yds is finishing out this year being home schooled. He will start ps in the fall. It's totally a personal choice.

You do get used to no Target and Starbucks... (I've been here for almost four years.)
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for replying. What about living on vs off base? How is the housing on base? And the school?
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

All of the off base housing is set to be privatized by summer. The stuff in Portales already is.

We lived in Portales 801 housing before we purchased our home and are much happier in Clovis, but that is just us. We have friends still living in Portales housing who are happy. So it is all personal preference.

On base housing is split into two areas. Chavez West is technically off base, but right outside the gates. Joe Cannon Estates is on base and on the older side. Your best bet is to make an appointment with the housing office when you get here and take a look for yourself. I also am friends with a couple of real estate agents if you need one.

There are not any schools on base here. So, it all depends on where you live as to where the kids go to school.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by yawp73 View Post
    I am new to this site and was hoping you girls can help. I need info on everything to do with Cannon. Should we live on or off base. Where are the best grade schools? Pre-schools? My son is also in Speech Therapy. Are there any services there? How am I going to survive without Starbucks? TIA!
    Actually, there are options for speech therapy so that more than likely will not hinder the orders to be sent here. There is Mecca and another one, I am not sure of the other one as I have only be involved with Mecca. My kids attend Ranchvale Elementary, and its been amazing. Ranchvale is opening up for pre K starting this up coming school year. Theres also a small starbucks located on base, its not the best but man does it help curve your cravings when you need it...lol. For housing, I live in chavez west housing which is off post base housing right outside the base. They have had plans for privatization for many months, however the plans for Chavez and on post housing have all fallen through and they are not yet sure when it will be picked up by an outside company. There is Clovis and Portales 801 housing, those locations are both already privatized, so living there is much like living in an apartment...you sign a lease and deal with them directly etc. The city of Clovis and Portales are VERY SMALL, theres not a whole lot to do around here if you don't know how to find them. Another friend and I have recently started a page about the area of Clovis, Portales, and CAFB. Please stop by and let the admins, myself and Emma, know if there is anything else we can help you with. https://www.facebook.com/HighPlainsHappenings?ref=hl If you need anything please do not hesitate to ask me or anyone for assistance. Located on the page, under the About HPH post at the top of the page is links to my personal fb, please feel free to send me a friend request and I will be more then willing to help you out with anything and everything. Good Luck, safe travels.
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master

The Starbucks on base is not a true Starbucks... They "proudly serve Starbucks coffee". IMO, no where near as good as the real thing.

I think the above poster is referring to Mesa elementary, instead of Mecca. This is the school near the area, previously known as, Clovis 801.
  7. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

The portales school by the housing has great speech therapy help! My son started ST while we were @ Cannon and i loved his teachers! His speech blossomed SO much We were really sad to leave them.

Cannon isn't too bad. I actually miss it. We like small towns
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    The portales school by the housing has great speech therapy help! My son started ST while we were @ Cannon and i loved his teachers! His speech blossomed SO much We were really sad to leave them.

Cannon isn't too bad. I actually miss it. We like small towns

Thanks for the info. Are there any private speech language therapists in or near Clovis?
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by JLynn0369 View Post
    Actually, there are options for speech therapy so that more than likely will not hinder the orders to be sent here. There is Mecca and another one, I am not sure of the other one as I have only be involved with Mecca. My kids attend Ranchvale Elementary, and its been amazing. Ranchvale is opening up for pre K starting this up coming school year. Theres also a small starbucks located on base, its not the best but man does it help curve your cravings when you need it...lol. For housing, I live in chavez west housing which is off post base housing right outside the base. They have had plans for privatization for many months, however the plans for Chavez and on post housing have all fallen through and they are not yet sure when it will be picked up by an outside company. There is Clovis and Portales 801 housing, those locations are both already privatized, so living there is much like living in an apartment...you sign a lease and deal with them directly etc. The city of Clovis and Portales are VERY SMALL, theres not a whole lot to do around here if you don't know how to find them. Another friend and I have recently started a page about the area of Clovis, Portales, and CAFB. Please stop by and let the admins, myself and Emma, know if there is anything else we can help you with. https://www.facebook.com/HighPlainsHappenings?ref=hl If you need anything please do not hesitate to ask me or anyone for assistance. Located on the page, under the About HPH post at the top of the page is links to my personal fb, please feel free to send me a friend request and I will be more then willing to help you out with anything and everything. Good Luck, safe travels.
    I would love to friend you on FB. I have a ton of questions. Can you PM me your name?
  10. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by yawp73 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Are there any private speech language therapists in or near Clovis?
    I'm not sure. We were in Portales and Jax was sent to the Portales pre-school class and received ST there