Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: bay area msos'ers or anyone from there

1. sassypants
    sassypants

bay area msos'ers or anyone from there

Advertisements
    What can you tell me about it? I just submitted my letter of intent to register, and db lives in berkeley and works in san mateo, but im not moving in with him (my own choice, I dont want to live with a SO during school) and moving up there by myself

It is San Jose state, but I am looking anywhere up to Hayward on the EB side, and up to Redwood city on the Pinsula.

IS there anything I should know about the general area? public transport? how is it? Do I need to carry a knife like I did in Riverside? What is there to do for fun and can I survive without a car?

Moving out on my own and to a TOTALLY new place not in a college dorm is a big step and it feels daunting

:Tia
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  2. Senior Member
    I'm not exactly Bay Area, but I'm in Sac. I don't know much about the areas as far as safety wise and that kind of stuff, but I do know there is TONS to do for fun. San Francisco, for example. there is SOOOO much to do there. Yosemite is about a 2 hr drive from Sac, and that is really fun. There's a Six Flags in Vacaville, but I haven't been. Also, there's premium outlets in Vacaville and Folsom
    My mom lived in Hayward way back in the day, she says she used to take the BART into SF all the time.
  3. sassypants
    sassypants
    Quote Originally Posted by JRNemo View Post
    I'm not exactly Bay Area, but I'm in Sac. I don't know much about the areas as far as safety wise and that kind of stuff, but I do know there is TONS to do for fun. San Francisco, for example. there is SOOOO much to do there. Yosemite is about a 2 hr drive from Sac, and that is really fun. There's a Six Flags in Vacaville, but I haven't been. Also, there's premium outlets in Vacaville and Folsom
    My mom lived in Hayward way back in the day, she says she used to take the BART into SF all the time.

I know bout yosemitie, I go there on the regular

rocket_liz is my wifey
  4. Senior Member
    Just a minor correction: The Six Flags is actually in Vallejo...about 25min Southwest of Vacaville....I grew up in Sacto and drove to SF all the time!
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redchicken View Post
    Just a minor correction: The Six Flags is actually in Vallejo...about 25min Southwest of Vacaville....I grew up in Sacto and drove to SF all the time!
    Whoops, my bad. You are right. I was just so excited about the outlets I guess my brain and fingers aren't communicating well.
  6. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    I was born and raised in Antioch.

As for safety, every city has it's bad sides. But, they all have great ones, too.

Oakland isn't too far away and they have the zoo, Warrior basketball, the arena, etc. BART is in most places but it's better to have a car.

7. Senior Member
    Whoops, my bad. You are right. I was just so excited about the outlets I guess my brain and fingers aren't communicating well.
    Oh I haven't been to those Vacaville outlets in ages! I can remember a time when those weren't even there!
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I am not a fan of commuting or traffic so if it were me I would live in Downtown San Jose. There is public transit, but that's probably changed a bit since I lived there. Lots of things to do, but areas that have more business then residents can be dead on the weekends.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sqrllvr123 View Post
    I was born and raised in Antioch.

As for safety, every city has it's bad sides. But, they all have great ones, too.

Oakland isn't too far away and they have the zoo, Warrior basketball, the arena, etc. BART is in most places but it's better to have a car.
    I grew up in Pittsburg! Small world.

To OP - Honestly as far as safety, in my experience, it depends on the part of town you're in. There are so many cities in the Bay Area where one second you'll be in a high class, very safe part of town and the next you'll be fearing for your life. Oakland is a perfect example.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redchicken View Post
    Oh I haven't been to those Vacaville outlets in ages! I can remember a time when those weren't even there!
    I've only been once! We're closer to Folsom, so that's where we go.