Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Best places to live off post at Fort Carson!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Smile Best places to live off post at Fort Carson!

Advertisements
    (sorry, I copied this from another section, I think it is more appropriately placed here!)

Hello everyone!

I am in need of some advice and guidance. DH and I are PCSing to Fort Carson in June-ish. (We don't have official orders with an actual date yet). We have been renting for awhile here in Alabama and we really want to buy a home in Colorado. So, I have a couple questions.

1.) For those of you that have been there, what are the best places around post to live?? DH is a W-1 and will be flying Apaches at Fort Carson. I'm really looking for a nice neighborhood, low crime, good parks, and reasonable housing cost.
    and
    2.) What advice do you all have on buying a home in a place when you only have 10 days of permissive TDY to do it!? I usually would say that we could rent a place for a month and take our time, but I will be 6 1/2 months pregnant when we move, and to ease my mind I would love to have a place I can really get settled in before the baby comes!

I am unfamiliar with the house hunting process in general, then add the military stuff and the pregnancy on top of it and i'm getting pretty overwhelmed. Thanks!!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    When I was there I bought a home near Fountain, which was pretty close to Carson. Fountain is a pretty small little town, but highly desired at the time (about 3 yrs ago). As far as wanting to buy a home within 10 days that may be pretty hard to pull off to be honest. I would start contacting realtors now, researching the area, and trying to pinpoint what listings/areas to look at once you arrive so you can hit the ground running if you absolutely cannot rent. When I bought my home there we actually made a trip at the beginning of the year to look at and go under contract with a house and then made the move straight "home" early summer. I do not get onto MSOS quite as often as I used to so if you have anymore questions please feel free to pm me and I will do my best to give you some answers.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I don't have any advice for you, but I just wanted to say my DB is at Rucker too. He flies blackhawks and graduates this week. to your DH!!!

I Eelizah
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    You can do everything to buy a house before you get to Ft. Carson. I am a Realtor in Colorado and a lot of military buy their house before they get here.
  5. Senior Member
    Fountain is nice, and really close to post. Manitou Springs is really nice, but a little farther away. It's actually a good time to buy out around Manitou, because of the fires last summer. Avoid the parts of Colorado Springs that snug up to Carson on the north side. They are not so nice. Falcon, but it's a drive. There's a little pre-fab housing place that sits under Cheyenne Mountain, and that's really nice houses, and a good school district. Pueblo has some nice places, but it's a drive.

There's a lot of nice little mountain towns, but they mean you're going to have a half hour or forty-five minutes to drive in.
    It's true I must be going, but I swear I won't be long
    There isn't that much ocean between Boston and St. Johns
    -Great Big Sea, Boston and St. Johns
  6. Senior Member
    Oh, I forgot - You might contact Challenger Homes and St. Aubyn Homes. They do pre-fab communities in the area, and aimed specifically at military. We've got a friend in one of the St. Aubyn communities in Fountain, and it's nice.
    It's true I must be going, but I swear I won't be long
    There isn't that much ocean between Boston and St. Johns
    -Great Big Sea, Boston and St. Johns
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Fountain, Security, and Widefield are all next to Fort Carson. I have lived here all my life and have grown up in Security which is about 5 min away from base. There is a lot of new development if your looking for a newer home. I prefer an older one as the older homes here have amazing huge yards and more house for your money. The further south of Colorado Springs the cheaper the cost of living. Colorado is a beautiful city and there is plenty to see!