Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello fellow San Diegans :)

1. Senior Member

Hello fellow San Diegans :)

Advertisements
    I just moved here from Maine; tomorrow marks my week anniversary of living here. San Diego is amazing so far, but it would be better if I had some friends! I'm 23, recently married, and just finished my undergrad in December. I like all sorts of things- dance/fitness, video games, movies, shopping, cats, etc etc.

Also- can anyone recommend some cool things to do? I want to take advantage of my time here (~3 years, so I have a while!), and of my 8 month hiatus from school before I start grad school. I want to take surfing lessons, try stand up paddleboarding, learn some languages, attend fun exercise classes, sight-see, and so on.

Also also, is anyone else doing either of these? I'm signed up for both; I found them on Groupon/Living Social..$22.
    Run or Dye - San Diego, California 2013
    The Neon Run | San Diego
  2. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I moved out here in August from Port Hueneme, CA but I'm originally from NY. I'm 22.

They do a lot of festivals downtown that are always fun to go to. Balboa Park has a lot of neat museums. There's also the USS Midway if you're into ships (DH & I are since he doesn't work on a ship so we love going into them ). Downtown Coronado also has a lot of cute shops & it's a lot less busy than downtown SD so that's where I usually hit up just for the hell of it.

I've been surfing since I was young but I just had a baby almost 4 months ago so you wont be seeing this girl at the beach until I finish toning myself back up.

http://www.sandiego.org/events.aspx#...at2-1&t=events

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    I moved out here in August from Port Hueneme, CA but I'm originally from NY. I'm 22.

They do a lot of festivals downtown that are always fun to go to. Balboa Park has a lot of neat museums. There's also the USS Midway if you're into ships (DH & I are since he doesn't work on a ship so we love going into them ). Downtown Coronado also has a lot of cute shops & it's a lot less busy than downtown SD so that's where I usually hit up just for the hell of it.

I've been surfing since I was young but I just had a baby almost 4 months ago so you wont be seeing this girl at the beach until I finish toning myself back up.

Events in San Diego, Ca.
    Oh hey, a calendar of events..how helpful!! I was going to ask you where I could find out about the festivals and such. :p

We drove through downtown Coronado this past weekend and I LOVED it! I can't wait to walk it next time, and go to that little movie theatre they have. I also definitely want to check out the USS Midway. I live within walking distance to the Fashion Valley mall....all these stores and malls are overwhelming! Where I moved from, we had one mall...we called it "the mall". It did have all of the good stores minus a few, but it doesn't compare to the countless malls and stores around here.

If you feel like toning back up with someone...I just signed up for this:
    The Best Daily Deals in San Diego Inland - Xtend Barre Scripps Poway - One Month of Unlimited Barre and Piloxing Classes
  4. Semper Fi kinda Life <3
    Semper Fi kinda Life <3
    Blog Entries

Jen2407 is my Wifey!

Come Check us out... Items designed for MilSo's!!
    Operation Military Sweethearts
  5. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerPickle View Post
    Oh hey, a calendar of events..how helpful!! I was going to ask you where I could find out about the festivals and such. :p

We drove through downtown Coronado this past weekend and I LOVED it! I can't wait to walk it next time, and go to that little movie theatre they have. I also definitely want to check out the USS Midway. I live within walking distance to the Fashion Valley mall....all these stores and malls are overwhelming! Where I moved from, we had one mall...we called it "the mall". It did have all of the good stores minus a few, but it doesn't compare to the countless malls and stores around here.

If you feel like toning back up with someone...I just signed up for this:
    The Best Daily Deals in San Diego Inland - Xtend Barre Scripps Poway - One Month of Unlimited Barre and Piloxing Classes
    I know, that's how it was back home for me too

Thanks I do P90X with DH

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I dragged my computer out just so I could reply to you

Anyways, I live out in the area locals refer to as "east county" which is basically anything east of La Mesa/Lemon Grove. I live in Rancho San Diego. It's pretty far from the fun stuff downtown but DH & I love it out here. It's quieter, and we live in a very ethnically interesting neighborhood. Many Greeks/Arabs/Turkish people. I only have to walk a few feet out my door to get fresh pita breads!

I'm 24, newlywed. I was a sometimes-resident of san diego for 2 years as I moved back & forth for school & seeing DH before we married, but now I am officially a resident. I am almost done with my Master's in Public Health (just gotta write my thesis!) and have a pending application for a PhD program at UCSD! I won't find out til April-ish.

What're you thinking of doing for grad school? UCSD or SDSU? DH is getting out of the military in July and will be attending either UCSD or SDSU to start his bachelor's degree, so if I don't get into the PhD program, I'mma be job hunting like crazy. As for right now, I am a SAHW for the most part, but I did just apply to be a science tutor part time at the community college across the street.

Also, if you love cats, you should meet mine They're extremely fluffy.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Senior Member
    Good luck, hope you get into the program!! I've applied to both UCSD and SDSU, chances are it'll be SDSU. I want to go for astronomy, or physics with a concentration in astronomy. I got my undergrad in engineering physics, but I really really want to go the astronomy route. I plan on going on through to get my PhD as well, but I'm basically going to play that by ear.

I'm currently a SAHW as well. My final semester was incredibly stressful with finishing up my capstone, planning the wedding, and my friend and I also choreographed a dance for a showcase...so I need to breathe a little bit! But I think once I settle down I want to get a job..tutoring sounds like a good idea! I want to do something different.. I worked in food service and retail during my undergrad, I don't want to go that route again!

My cat is fluffy and adorable, but she doesn't tolerate many people other than me...and she HATES dh for whatever reason...I think because he takes away from her time with me. It's really funny/sad.
  8. Regular Member
    I'm 23, newlywed and I recently finished my undergrad in December as well. I will be moving to San Diego early next month and I am looking for people as well. I started a thread similar to this yesterday.

I will be leaving when he deploys but I will be back after he gets back. He as about 3 years left in San Diego as well. Furthermore, I am on an 8 month hiatus until I start grad school too (if I don't get into an internship). PM me!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerPickle View Post
    I just moved here from Maine; tomorrow marks my week anniversary of living here. San Diego is amazing so far, but it would be better if I had some friends! I'm 23, recently married, and just finished my undergrad in December. I like all sorts of things- dance/fitness, video games, movies, shopping, cats, etc etc.

Also- can anyone recommend some cool things to do? I want to take advantage of my time here (~3 years, so I have a while!), and of my 8 month hiatus from school before I start grad school. I want to take surfing lessons, try stand up paddleboarding, learn some languages, attend fun exercise classes, sight-see, and so on.

Also also, is anyone else doing either of these? I'm signed up for both; I found them on Groupon/Living Social..$22.
    Run or Dye - San Diego, California 2013
    The Neon Run | San Diego
    To the bolded part - We had a YMCA membership when we lived in San Diego. A military family membership (a married couple counts) is around $45 a month. If you join the Toby Wells Y, they have cycling, zumba, yoga, cardio classes, and many other classes that are free with membership. You also get full access to the gym, swimming pool during open swim hours, and hot tub. Between my classes, gym workouts, and kids classes we lived at the YMCA most weeks.
    "What's so good about good-bye? It is good to be reminded that life is brief, at best, with no dress rehearsals, and the seasons we are privileged to share together are even more fleeting. Good-bye is good if it teaches us to cherish the life and breath, strength and sound mind, and the moments we are allowed to walk side by side with a friend. Good-bye is good if, in that difficult moment, we stand still long enough to give thanks to God for the lessons we've learned together, the love given, and the love received, recognizing that these are gifts from the hand of God." ~Marshele Carter Waddell
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by navywifeplus3 View Post
    To the bolded part - We had a YMCA membership when we lived in San Diego. A military family membership (a married couple counts) is around $45 a month. If you join the Toby Wells Y, they have cycling, zumba, yoga, cardio classes, and many other classes that are free with membership. You also get full access to the gym, swimming pool during open swim hours, and hot tub. Between my classes, gym workouts, and kids classes we lived at the YMCA most weeks.
    Ohhh nice, thank you!! The place I live has a gym, but they don't offer many fitness classes (just zumba and yoga) and the fitness classes are the most important part for me!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast