Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving quick

1. Senior Member

Moving quick

Advertisements
    So DH and I have been together 13 years of the 15 he has been in the Navy. Anyhow, so we thought he was going to Diego Garcia and at the last minute is getting a Destroyer in San Diego. He'll be there next month and we just found out last week.

I'm not going with... first time ever in his career but we set up residency in Nevada, I've got a great job, kids are doing phenomenal where they are at in school and extracurriculars (plus they are getting older). I figure its just easier with sea duty to visit him and alternate with buying hopper flights.

My question is... since its been awhile since we've dealt with ship life.... what has changed in the past 5 years with ships? And has anyone else done the geo-bach thing? I know it's not unheard of since lots of people do it with the last tour or so, we've just never done it.

Is it difficult to plan ahead vacations/trips/etc? I never cared so much before about what time they usually get home, when certain things are but now as I attempt to plan out when I'm going to see him, when he's going to fly to see me, or when we are going to visit his family... even just within the next six months... there is this big black hole called the unknown.

Overall, I think this is the best thing for us - he's prepared to take on a lot of work for the job he's about to do and not having us there will be a huge benefit for him working long hours without getting the hassle. After all, I got a HUGE promotion when he was deployed to Afghanistan cause I worked a ton myself - so I can see where he is coming from. Work hard, play hard.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    we are a geo family, DH is on his twilight tour and we have 15 months left of a 4 yr tour.

since he is not on a ship he comes home when he wants and we plan stuff based solely on my work schedule. the destroyer schedule should be pretty predictable, but they will be gone alot.

you will want to decide if he will live on the ship or if you will A) pay for Barracks or B) rent on the economy.
    there is no official term as GEO BACH any more and there are no financial benefits, cannot live in barracks for free in most locations, sep pay only when they deploy for 30 days or longer, ect.

I will say this is the hardest thing have ever done, and cannot wait for it to be over.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    we are a geo family, DH is on his twilight tour and we have 15 months left of a 4 yr tour.

since he is not on a ship he comes home when he wants and we plan stuff based solely on my work schedule. the destroyer schedule should be pretty predictable, but they will be gone alot.

you will want to decide if he will live on the ship or if you will A) pay for Barracks or B) rent on the economy.
    there is no official term as GEO BACH any more and there are no financial benefits, cannot live in barracks for free in most locations, sep pay only when they deploy for 30 days or longer, ect.

I will say this is the hardest thing have ever done, and cannot wait for it to be over.
    Thanks for the response.

We are thinking that he will live on the ship. It was a hot fill and he's going to be in charge of the department, so we figure it is better for him to be focused on that and live on the ship because he HAS to succeed cause if he doesn't, then we've seen many others get relieved of duty. Plus it will be cheaper.

I've been looking a lot into Southwest hopper flights and if his schedule is predictable then maybe it won't be so bad since we'll be able to get a non-stop flight and he can just book that whenever he wants. I just remember when he was on a carrier it was all over the place, then with duty, well - it was interesting. But in doing my research, he can cancel a Southwest flight if something happens and then re-use the credit so that is reassuring.