Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving to Camp Pendleton from KY!! Off base housing?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Hello Moving to Camp Pendleton from KY!! Off base housing?

Advertisements
    So we just found out we are being relocated to Camp Pendleton on Oct 1st!! We are currently in KY so this is probably going to be a major culture shock!! We have decided to live off base and we have 2 large dogs so we are having issues trying to find places that are in nice areas. Does anyone know of any nice places around the base that are nice and safe? I have heard that there are a bunch of bad areas but not sure where? Anyone else in the area also?
  2. I have a fever,and the only prescription is, MORE cowbell
    I have a fever,and the only prescription is, MORE cowbell
    A nice chunk of Oceanside is not so nice. Vista has good and bad areas. Carlsbad is nice, but pricey. San clemente depending on what paet of base your SO is working. If he doesn't mind a drive, Temecula or Murietta is cheap and nice, but it's inland so a little hotter.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  3. Senior Member
    Do you know what area of base he will be working in? The base is HUGE, so you really want to consider the commute he will have to work when you choose a town to live in. We live on base at the north end of base and love it.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    He will be at the north side of base
  5. Senior Member
    Fallbrook is a pretty nice area, but if he will be on the northern side, you will probably want to look up in Temecula.

6. Certified G
    Certified G
    Fallbrook, Temecula, Vista, Carlsbad. They're all really nice for north side. Some areas in Vista can be dicey. Carlsbad is pretty expensive but so gorgeous. I wouldn't suggest Murrieta. Even though its only a few more exits off the freeway past Temecula, its a good 10-15 degrees hotter than Temecula is. Don't ask how.

7. Senior Member
    If he'll be working on the north side of base, you'll want to look in San Clemente and south Orange County. Try the Talega area of San Clemente, Laguna Niguel, San Juan Capistrano, Mission Viejo. You definitely want to stay away from Temecula, Fallbrook, or Murrieta because he would have almost an hour commute one way.
  8. Senior Member
    I don't know anything about housing down there, but I also moved to CA from KY the culture shock wasn't really that bad (but I was up north so I don't know about where you'll be), just be prepared to hear "Like KFC?" ALL THE TIME. haha.