Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: new with questions about camp pendleton

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

new with questions about camp pendleton

Advertisements
    Hey, im new to the forum and had some questions about camp pendelton. ive skimmed through the forum but most of the info is about san diego. i know the areas around pendelton fall under sd county but wasnt sure if the info was about sd which is thirty miles aeay or. the entire county. so im sorry if im repeating a question you all already answered.
    in any case hubby is finishing up his last year of recruiting duty and we are hoping to go to cpca. but hefore we requeet it i wnted to find out some info first. we will not be living in basr housing as ee have too many pets.and lots of them. so i was wondering if anyone couod tell me about the areas near pendleton. i was looking at fallbrook but was hoping to find out more info about other country like settings. wed like to rent a home not an apartment with three or more bedrooms under $2100/mnth. we need a febced yard and a safe neighborhood with a decent school. good school.is more important than distance but dont want to be more than thirty or forty min from base. i have no idea where he would be stationed on the base as he is admin so could go anywhere but most likely will end up at the pac. he desperwtely wants to deploy which is why we wre looking at pendleton in the first place. weve already been up and down the east coadt but i would love to see california before he retires. sorry for all the typos im on my phone and cant see what im tyoing
    oh and i was curious about cost of living. we uave two children and id rather not work is that doable or is it really outrageous expensivre to live there. does anyone know how it relates to virgonia or new jersey in relation to bah and cost of.living?
    Thanks so much and i hope im not repeating a question youve all seen a million times any adv is appreciated
  2. Senior Member
    I'm born and raised here in North County(which is what they call the area around pendleton, which includes cities Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad, San Marcos and Escondido) I would not recommend living super close to Pendleton like Oceanside but Carlsbad and Fallbrook and pretty decent areas but are also more expensive. But they have better schools and housing options esp since you have pets. Cost of living out here is a lot higher so you might wanna work maybe a part time job just to make sure you have a little spending money, but it's all up to you and your family. Even if you go up north a little bit to Temecula they have amazingly nice homes under 2100 that take pets and the schools up their are great! I have a neice and nephew that go to school up there.

San Diego itself is about a 35-45 minute drive depending what part you are driving to from Pendleton.
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thanks for the response. I will definitely do some research on north county then. I'm just wondering what the cost of living difference is in comparison to the bah rate at each location. For instance, we are in a low cost location now but hubby receives extra money if we move to virginia we will receive the exact same amount only the cost of living will increase significantly. On the other hand if we move to CP then the cost of living will go up but our pay will also increae. So I'm thinking it would actually be cheaper to move to CA rather than VA. especially considering rent for both locations will be at or above our bah rate but utilities should be less in CA considering the freezing cold winters and the extra heating and cooling costs in VA.

I was also considering home child care if we needed the extra money but wasn't sure how hard it would be to fill spots. anyone have experience with this? Is it hard to find children to care for near base?

Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it. I had scratched Temecula off my list, but now I'll put it back on. We also do not want to live anywhere with hoa. Are there areas available, or is pretty much everywhere apart of one?

Thanks again!!! If anyone else has more suggestions, would LOVE to hear them!
  4. Senior Member
    I know a lot of people that live in the Temecula and Murrieta areas. My husband works on the western/northern side of the base, so it would be an outrageous drive for us to live out in that area. The base is really big, so once you find out what area he'll be working in, you can decided how much of a commute is reasonable for you. As far as cost of living, it is higher than other parts of the country, but it also depends on what area you live in. If you live in a more inland area, you will probably save on rent because you aren't as close to the beaches. Although, you will have to deal with higher temperatures in the summer and cooling costs compared to coastal areas. Where we live, we get the ocean breeze , so we don't even need AC in our house. You'd also have to factor in the cost of gas for the commute.

We live on the north end of base near San Clemente. We live on base though, and you're right about pets. There are only 2 allowed in base housing, and only cats and dogs. I can't give you a lot more info about houses since we've only lived in an apartment in Oceanside and then here on base. And we don't have children, so I can't comment on the quality of the schools.

Overall, we love CP. I'll be sad when we have to leave. I really enjoy living in SoCal.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I think I'm going to really try to get my husband to go with CP. I would love love love to see California while the military is paying for it And if we need money, I can get a job. I worked as a civil servant before, so I can always try that route again. Honestly i don't like the beach... lol... I know, how am I going to Cali and I don't like the beach!!! I am just super nervous about the water and the kids and I don't like frying my skin or the sand, or the salty smell... lol... So in a nutshell, I don't mind living more inland. I grew up in PA and the first time I saw the ocean I was 17, so I understand about the temps. Although i lived near a lake, so we always had cool breeze off that. But here in TX the temps have been averaging 104-108 all week long, so even high 90s would be a welcome relief!

I'm still keeping my eyes on fallbrook. We live in an area that is kind of secluded from everywhere else, so living near the base would be a relief. And I wouldn't mind using the base amenities since where we are now is a bit of a disappointing (recruiting). Looking through the info it seems that the base has a lot of good activities for families, is that not the case? Why do you advise against living near the base? are the areas bad? I'm just curious and would like to find out as much information now then arrive and be at a total loss.

again, I do appreciate the help. I've always wanted to live in california and I'm so excited that we might get the chance. I had a fortune cookie last night that said now was a great time to explore the nearest coastline and we are way closer to the west coast than the east coast. I told my husband it was a sign but he just laughed at me!!! I'm hoping.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Oh, and what is the price per gallon where you are? I've been wondering that.... Here we can get everywhere in 15 minutes, but it's because the city is connected by a highway running around it, so I can go 70 everywhere. The other day I went almost 45 miles in one day just going from home to sitter to school to sitter and back home. And the sitter is 10 min from my house and the school was only 10 min the other way. So it didn't seem like I would use a lot of gas, but I sure did. I ended up blowing through my tank of gas in less than a week!!!
  7. Senior Member
    I love living on base, and we lived near base in Oceanside before we moved on base. It's not bad or anything. I'd definitely recommend living near base. Traffic can be a bitch out here, so you don't want to live too far out. The only reason I could see that someone might not want to live near base is if they don't like seeing Marines. Haha. But mostly the boots hang out in downtown Oceanside, so if you steer clear of that area, it's not even a problem.

Gas is currently $3.67 on base, I think, and that is the lowered base price. I saw prices like $3.95 out in town today, butI was up in Orange County. It really depends on where you are, but the gas prices on base are the same base-wide. That's also way down from where it had been in the last few months. It was over $4 for a long time.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Wow! Gas was down to $3.11 here yesterday! But i did look through craigslist and i think we might be able to find something under our bah rate that still fits our needs. Although i noticed alot of places were 1100 sqft! Thats tiny is it not. The house we have now is close to 2000 so that is going to be a huge differance for us but we will adjust. Especially considering it will be nice enough to actually spend time outside!
  9. Senior Member
    Oh wow. I'm jealous of those gas prices! Our car requires premium also, so it's even higher for us.