Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to live in San Diego?

1. Senior Member

Where to live in San Diego?

Advertisements
    My DF is moving to San Diego shortly, and I will be following him out there in December. I think I am pickier than he is, so I'm a bit nervous on what he ends up choosing!

He was looking at places in Pacific Beach, but I was wondering if anyone has other recommendations for good areas to live in. I know his big concern is that he doesn't want too long of a commute. I'm hoping for a place that has a washer/dryer and will allow 1 cat without us having to pay a lot to have that cat living with us. I was looking at PB apartments tonight, but all I could find were complexes, and I'm not too keen on living in a complex, unless they're super nice.

Also, I know he wants to live off-base so he can get BAH. We only need 1-bedroom and by the time I'm out there we'll be married so we'll more than likely be making money off the BAH. However, would anyone have any arguments that on-base housing is better? Just trying to explore all of our options.

Lastly, when he is deployed on his ship (which isn't until next year) will he still receive BAH or does it halt while he's away?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any advice. We're new to this.

Oh and one last thing- I'm from Maine so I'm not used to a city whatsoever (I'm in MD for the summer currently and ) and he's from NH so he's more used to city life but neither one of us have been that immersed in it. Therefore, if there's any place that is "country" feeling, I don't think I'd mind at all. I'm excited for all that SD has to offer, but I don't necessarily need to be living right in the city.
  2. Midwest Girl with a Southern Soul
    Midwest Girl with a Southern Soul
    PB is fairly expensive. It's like the rich part of SD. I was married to a navy guy and we lived in Murphy Canyon military housing and it was wonderful. You are allowed two pets, and all of the bills are taken care of minus cable, phone and things such as that. It will take all of your BAH though. Your BAH will not halt while he is deployed if you are married. He is gets that money due to being married.

SD County is HUGE! There are many places you can go here to feel "country" I am the same way I love the small town country life. And if you can't find it in SD county a few more country places are close by. There is no place to live that feels country close to the base at all. The places that are that small town feeling are anywhere from 1 hour - 1 1/2 hour away.

Hope that helps! PM me if you need anymore help. xx
  3. Senior Member
    It depends on what base in SD he'll be at. Personally, I'd avoid PB. While being close to the beach is great and there is a lot to do in that area, unless you live in a super ritzy (and insanely expensive) area, there is a lot of crime in PB (car breaks ins and things like that).

We live in Tierrasanta. DH worked at North Island it was usually about 30 minutes. Tierrasanta is kind of uber suburbia, so that might be good for you if you don't want it to be so *city*. This is also where the Murphy Canyon housing area is (that's military housing, but it isn't actually on a base) so there is a minimart and gas station where you can shop at commissary/base prices.

Anywhere that is really country is going to be a fairly long commute (most places out East have that country feel to them).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses!!

So, even though Murphy Canyon is military housing, you still get BAH? I saw a few posts about that in other threads but I wasn't completely sure on the specifics.

How are the places in MC and Tierrasanta? Are they old, new, or in-between? Roomy?

edit: I just saw that Murphy Canyon serves E1-E9, and my DF will be an O1. I thought I read somewhere else that there is an officer side, does anyone have more details or know where it is?

edit edit: Okay so one of the factors in the Lincoln Military Housing is that you have to have at least 1 accompanying family member. However, I won't be joining him (and we won't be married) until December. So then should he seek elsewhere in the meantime, and then we can apply for the housing once we're married? How would that work, exactly?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerPickle View Post
    Thanks for the responses!!

So, even though Murphy Canyon is military housing, you still get BAH? I saw a few posts about that in other threads but I wasn't completely sure on the specifics.

How are the places in MC and Tierrasanta? Are they old, new, or in-between? Roomy?

edit: I just saw that Murphy Canyon serves E1-E9, and my DF will be an O1. I thought I read somewhere else that there is an officer side, does anyone have more details or know where it is?

edit edit: Okay so one of the factors in the Lincoln Military Housing is that you have to have at least 1 accompanying family member. However, I won't be joining him (and we won't be married) until December. So then should he seek elsewhere in the meantime, and then we can apply for the housing once we're married? How would that work, exactly?
    I knew Officers that lived in MC, though that was probably 8 years ago, so I can't be sure they still offer officer housing.

To clarify, Tierrasanta is a civilian neighborhood. We lived in a civilian home there and there are many houses as well as town homes and apartments you can rent. It just happens that in that area, they also have a little military housing area and a few facilities. So it was nice because we had what we consider to be the benefits of living in civilian housing, but we could take advantage of the military housing facilities nearby. So the types of home and conditions, and even the age, varies quite a bit.

You would be considered an "acquired dependent". I think in that case, they would not pay for him to move into housing later on, so you would pay for that move (from his civilian home to the military one, after you are put on the wait list and then get called for a house) on your own. You'd have to look into that to confirm though.

Unless you are set on living in military housing, that seems like a pain in the butt, and a expensive one (though you could self-move with a U-haul).

With privatized military housing (which any Lincoln Housing is), sometimes they don't take all of your BAH. That depends on the location. Certainly, they take much of it. Also, many privatized locations no longer pay utilities. Often there is a cap and if you are under that, it is free, but if you are over, they you pay.

Also, many areas of housing in San Diego have very long wait lists (or at least they did as of a couple years ago), so it might not even be a realistic option for you. Make sure you keep that in mind before you set your heart on that plan.

Personally, I think there are a lot of great places in San Diego and with the housing crisis, there are a lot of rentals available for decent rates. I would choose to look into civilian housing, but some people love base housing and it does have some pros.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Ahh thank you for answering my questions!

So I looked into Tierrasanta and found a little community/complex area called Tierrasanta Ridge. They have 2 availabilities that my DF is going to look at soon. We both quite liked the place and area (well, from what we could see online!), and they had fairly decent reviews. It's also inexpensive, their 1br/1bh was quite reasonably priced. Does anyone have opinions on this place?

Also I talked with him tonight, and he really doesn't want to lose all his BAH. So the plan now is that he'll live in Tierrasanta Ridge (or elsewhere) until I'm out there in December, and if I really don't like the place than we can look for other options. And maybe in a year or two once we have some money saved up we can move into military housing- or get our own house, or a better place.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Let me know about Tierra Santa. My family will be heading there next year
  8. Regular Member
    Murphy Canyon Canyon View is officer housing. There is also Admiral Hartman, and some on North Island and the Amphib base (good luck getting in to those) and one in Point Loma for O6. Wait times for officer housing can be very long.

On an O1 salary you are going to have a tough time getting anything very nice in San Diego, unless you will be working also. Which base will he be at, I'm guessing 32nd street? Anything off of 15 will be an easy commute down there, and traffic on 15 wasn't bad at all when we were there. Just by comparison, dh was an O3 then, and while we were living comfortably, we couldn't afford anything decent in the expensive neighborhoods. We had no debt, no car payments, etc, but living in La Jolla, Coronado, etc was just not going to happen in our budget. Of course, we had 2 kids to think about. I really wanted a single family home and not an apartment.

I just wanted to caution you. I remember when dh graduated and was an O1 it seemed like it was so much money. But in the end, things were pretty tight until he got O3. We were living in DC, so a similar high COL area.

We lived up in Penasquitos, and when we move back next summer we will be moving back to that area again. The housing is affordable, the schools are great, and it is an easy commute for dh (he will work at Balboa again) and easy access to the beach. We may end up further west in the Torrey Highlands or Carmel Valley area, but those are a little more expensive.

When he is deployed, I think he still gets BAH if he is married. Dh still got it when he was in Afghanistan, and I think he got it when he was on the Mercy, as well, but that was several years ago. They will take money for room and board, however, and take the BAS. For dh, the ship deployment ended up costing us quite a bit since he doesn't normally work on one and had to buy the uniforms. The Navy doesn't give officers a uniform allowance.

You are not going to get a country feeling in any of the coastal communities. You can drive out and get that feel, but the commute would be unreasonable. But overall, San Diego is the least "city" feeling city I have lived in. It does feel a lot like a small town. The weather is wonderful, the people are laid back and generally polite and cheerful, and there is so much to do there. We are very excited to go back next year, and we plan on staying for a very long time.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sukhakuli View Post
    Murphy Canyon Canyon View is officer housing. There is also Admiral Hartman, and some on North Island and the Amphib base (good luck getting in to those) and one in Point Loma for O6. Wait times for officer housing can be very long.

On an O1 salary you are going to have a tough time getting anything very nice in San Diego, unless you will be working also. Which base will he be at, I'm guessing 32nd street? Anything off of 15 will be an easy commute down there, and traffic on 15 wasn't bad at all when we were there. Just by comparison, dh was an O3 then, and while we were living comfortably, we couldn't afford anything decent in the expensive neighborhoods. We had no debt, no car payments, etc, but living in La Jolla, Coronado, etc was just not going to happen in our budget. Of course, we had 2 kids to think about. I really wanted a single family home and not an apartment.

I just wanted to caution you. I remember when dh graduated and was an O1 it seemed like it was so much money. But in the end, things were pretty tight until he got O3. We were living in DC, so a similar high COL area.

We lived up in Penasquitos, and when we move back next summer we will be moving back to that area again. The housing is affordable, the schools are great, and it is an easy commute for dh (he will work at Balboa again) and easy access to the beach. We may end up further west in the Torrey Highlands or Carmel Valley area, but those are a little more expensive.

When he is deployed, I think he still gets BAH if he is married. Dh still got it when he was in Afghanistan, and I think he got it when he was on the Mercy, as well, but that was several years ago. They will take money for room and board, however, and take the BAS. For dh, the ship deployment ended up costing us quite a bit since he doesn't normally work on one and had to buy the uniforms. The Navy doesn't give officers a uniform allowance.

You are not going to get a country feeling in any of the coastal communities. You can drive out and get that feel, but the commute would be unreasonable. But overall, San Diego is the least "city" feeling city I have lived in. It does feel a lot like a small town. The weather is wonderful, the people are laid back and generally polite and cheerful, and there is so much to do there. We are very excited to go back next year, and we plan on staying for a very long time.
    Wow, thanks for all of this! What is the Amphib base? He's actually going to be on an amphib- so is that like on-base housing near the lpds?

He is on the base at 32nd street. Oh and I just saw the Coronado Amphib Base on google maps...so what is that, exactly? Like I said, he is on an amphib, but I know that he doesn't have to go over to that base to report in. He just got out there and his ship is still deployed, so he won't be on it just yet, but maybe when his ship gets in he will end up working over there..?

Yeah I will be working as well. I will have just graduated with a degree in engineering physics so I should be able to find a good enough job to help support us. With that said, we're definitely not looking for something ritzy...I basically just want something nicer than the apartment I'm currently living in. My apartment is old, and quite run down..and while I do love my apartment and have made it very home-y, I want something newer. He spent the last 4 years as a college student, so I know he's used to living on a tight budget. He decided to live on-base for the time being, he doesn't yet have a car and he still gets some BAH back so he will be able to put away some money. When I get out there, we'll be looking for something better. Either Tierrasanta, or some place else, and I will definitely check out Penasquitos! Plus it'll be just me, him, and my cat at least for the next 8 years. Living in a house would be nice, but at our age I'm not really expecting anything more than a reasonably nice apartment until we can save up some money.

Uniforms are so expensive! I think my DF has all of the uniforms he needs for the ship, thankfully.

Yeah, I really can't wait to get out there! I know my DF loves it so far, he's already been to a beach party..lucky him! He was here for 6 weeks last summer and has raved about the Gaslamp Disctrict and how great the weather was. I just can't wait to get out of Maine and into a place that has a lot more to offer (and better weather). While the COL is definitely higher, there is still some things that will make San Diego cheaper than Maine- for one, the cost to run AC is waaay cheaper than the cost to run heat, and also the cost of heat is expensive! Heat is included in my apartment cost, but the electricity to run it is not, so during the winter my electric bill goes up by $30-40. And the wear and tear on my car will be much less! The salty roads in Maine basically kill cars. Anyway, I'm happy to hear that San Diego is the least city feeling. I'm not a big fan of Boston or NYC, though I do absolutely love Providence, RI. My parents have a home in Clearwater, FL so I've been to that area (including St. Pete and Tampa) and I also really love it there and didn't mind the city feel of that area. So I think I will find myself happy in San Diego, even if it is a bit bigger than what I'm used to.
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerPickle View Post
    Wow, thanks for all of this! What is the Amphib base? He's actually going to be on an amphib- so is that like on-base housing near the lpds?

He is on the base at 32nd street. Oh and I just saw the Coronado Amphib Base on google maps...so what is that, exactly? Like I said, he is on an amphib, but I know that he doesn't have to go over to that base to report in. He just got out there and his ship is still deployed, so he won't be on it just yet, but maybe when his ship gets in he will end up working over there..?

Yeah I will be working as well. I will have just graduated with a degree in engineering physics so I should be able to find a good enough job to help support us. With that said, we're definitely not looking for something ritzy...I basically just want something nicer than the apartment I'm currently living in. My apartment is old, and quite run down..and while I do love my apartment and have made it very home-y, I want something newer. He spent the last 4 years as a college student, so I know he's used to living on a tight budget. He decided to live on-base for the time being, he doesn't yet have a car and he still gets some BAH back so he will be able to put away some money. When I get out there, we'll be looking for something better. Either Tierrasanta, or some place else, and I will definitely check out Penasquitos! Plus it'll be just me, him, and my cat at least for the next 8 years. Living in a house would be nice, but at our age I'm not really expecting anything more than a reasonably nice apartment until we can save up some money.

Uniforms are so expensive! I think my DF has all of the uniforms he needs for the ship, thankfully.

Yeah, I really can't wait to get out there! I know my DF loves it so far, he's already been to a beach party..lucky him! He was here for 6 weeks last summer and has raved about the Gaslamp Disctrict and how great the weather was. I just can't wait to get out of Maine and into a place that has a lot more to offer (and better weather). While the COL is definitely higher, there is still some things that will make San Diego cheaper than Maine- for one, the cost to run AC is waaay cheaper than the cost to run heat, and also the cost of heat is expensive! Heat is included in my apartment cost, but the electricity to run it is not, so during the winter my electric bill goes up by $30-40. And the wear and tear on my car will be much less! The salty roads in Maine basically kill cars. Anyway, I'm happy to hear that San Diego is the least city feeling. I'm not a big fan of Boston or NYC, though I do absolutely love Providence, RI. My parents have a home in Clearwater, FL so I've been to that area (including St. Pete and Tampa) and I also really love it there and didn't mind the city feel of that area. So I think I will find myself happy in San Diego, even if it is a bit bigger than what I'm used to.
    The amphib base is where the SEALS are based and train. An amphib ship will be ported at 32nd St and stay there. Your DF will work at 32nd like my DH. I wonder if your DF is going to the amphib ship currently on it's way home from deployment with my DH's ship?

I love it here in San Diego. Another huge perk is the lack of mosquitoes! Depends on where you live like if you are near still bodies of water but for the most part San Diego is too arid to accommodate them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast