Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sooo San Diego...

1. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries

Jump for Joy Sooo San Diego...

Advertisements
    Who all is there? How do you like it? (Non military liking of it...) Cause.... chances are SO HIGH right now that I might be moving to San Diego in August....

Can you tell I'm excited?

What are your favorite aspects of living there? Have you always lived in a similar climate or community or is this new?

What are the drawbacks?

I might be comparing this to Virginia Beach (if I get accepted there), have you been there, can you compare?

THANKS! I'm so excited!!!
  2. Senior Member

I live here and have most of the time since 1999, was out of country 2007-10 and back in San Diego after that.

What I love about it here is the weather, the humidity is low and there are not a lot of bugs around. Lots of spiders but hardly any flies, mosquitoes, bees, etc. I can leave my door open with no screen and not worry about a lot of bugs flying in.

The drawback is the cost of living here but there are affordable places to live, just have to be patient, diligent and willing to compromise when it comes to amenities like A/C. Most of the time, the closer to the coast the less the homes will have A/C but most of the time it's not needed here. It doesn't get very hot often but there are a few days here and there it can get extremely hot but usually it's a short time like a few days.
  3. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfoy View Post
    Who all is there? How do you like it? (Non military liking of it...) Cause.... chances are SO HIGH right now that I might be moving to San Diego in August....
    I'm here! I like it a lot. The cost of living is high ("sunshine tax" LOL), but it really is a great place to live.

Yes.

What are your favorite aspects of living there? Have you always lived in a similar climate or community or is this new?
    The weather. The beaches. The shopping. The weather. The parks. The weather. The local outdoorsy stuff (day hikes, etc.). The weather. Balboa Park, the Zoo, Safari Park, museums, Science Center. Have I mentioned the weather here rocks?

What are the drawbacks?
    The cost of living sometimes gets to me (we're going to be here a while, so it's nice to think about buying a house... but then we see what we can afford and it's like... military housing it is! LOL). Traffic might be bad for some folks (but now that we moved closer to base, it really hasn't been a problem). If you're used to a small town, this would take some getting used to. San Diego is BIG... like it covers kind of a large geographical area.

I might be comparing this to Virginia Beach (if I get accepted there), have you been there, can you compare?
    I've never been to Virginia Beach, but I'm from Washington State, so this is a very different climate. Somewhat different culture. The climate was VERY easy for me to get used to, in case you couldn't tell from what I said above. I didn't live in as large of a city up in WA, so that has been an adjustment, but I do like that everything is so close (relatively speaking). Shopping, activities, etc. But there are day hikes and "nature" things to enjoy very close as well. Love the beach too!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Just wanted to stop by to

5. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

I live in San Diego. For the most part I don't mind it at all. I lived in Michigan for most of my life so I really do like the weather out here.

Two big draw backs. Traffic and how expensive everything is out here.
  6. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    I live here and have most of the time since 1999, was out of country 2007-10 and back in San Diego after that.

What I love about it here is the weather, the humidity is low and there are not a lot of bugs around. Lots of spiders but hardly any flies, mosquitoes, bees, etc. I can leave my door open with no screen and not worry about a lot of bugs flying in.

The drawback is the cost of living here but there are affordable places to live, just have to be patient, diligent and willing to compromise when it comes to amenities like A/C. Most of the time, the closer to the coast the less the homes will have A/C but most of the time it's not needed here. It doesn't get very hot often but there are a few days here and there it can get extremely hot but usually it's a short time like a few days.
    Yay! Those are all definitely positives!!

Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    I'm here! I like it a lot. The cost of living is high ("sunshine tax" LOL), but it really is a great place to live.

Yes.

The weather. The beaches. The shopping. The weather. The parks. The weather. The local outdoorsy stuff (day hikes, etc.). The weather. Balboa Park, the Zoo, Safari Park, museums, Science Center. Have I mentioned the weather here rocks?

The cost of living sometimes gets to me (we're going to be here a while, so it's nice to think about buying a house... but then we see what we can afford and it's like... military housing it is! LOL). Traffic might be bad for some folks (but now that we moved closer to base, it really hasn't been a problem). If you're used to a small town, this would take some getting used to. San Diego is BIG... like it covers kind of a large geographical area.

I've never been to Virginia Beach, but I'm from Washington State, so this is a very different climate. Somewhat different culture. The climate was VERY easy for me to get used to, in case you couldn't tell from what I said above. I didn't live in as large of a city up in WA, so that has been an adjustment, but I do like that everything is so close (relatively speaking). Shopping, activities, etc. But there are day hikes and "nature" things to enjoy very close as well. Love the beach too!
    Woohoo! That all sounds great! I am definitely excited about the weather. I like warm and sunny. That will help with my depression for sure. And i love big cities. I know Seattle is smaller in comparison to other places out there, but it's still a big city. And I'm totally used to traffic. Seattle is notorious for that... But every thing else sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyPT View Post
    Just wanted to stop by to

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post

I live in San Diego. For the most part I don't mind it at all. I lived in Michigan for most of my life so I really do like the weather out here.

Two big draw backs. Traffic and how expensive everything is out here.
    The expense of living is what I am mainly concerned about right now. I have no idea how to find a place to live or how I am going to pay for it... We'll see I guess.

I will definitely hit you all up with more questions if/when I get accepted into USD. Less than 2 weeks until I know!!
  7. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    I'm moving there in October!! Obviously I can't answer any of your questions, but I just wanted to say that!

8. Certified G
    Certified G
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfoy View Post

What are the drawbacks?

THANKS! I'm so excited!!!
    Fave aspects is the variety and the fact that everyone is ridiculously nice. The weather is pretty much a constant - it doesn't change much all year 'round. At nights it gets cold, but during the day in most months you can wear really cute spring/summer attire. I've lived in Temecula (an hour north of downtown SD) since 2001. I miss the fall weather changes from back east, but that's about it.

The only drawbacks I really have is the price, though you can find some cheaper places in north SD county and the amount of homeless people. It just makes me kind of sad seeing so many.

Honestly, though, I love it here. Venturing further up north towards orange county and LA, the attitudes tend to change. It's all about money and showing off. That vibe is kind of rare in SD county. There's always showoffs, but it's not a majority, that's for sure.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Is it difficult to meet people??
  10. Senior Member
    I just want to tell you how jealous I am. I love San Diego. If I could move anywhere, I'm pretty sure I'd pick there.