Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to 29 Palms!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Moving to 29 Palms!

Advertisements
    Hello! My husband and I will be moving to 29 Palms this summer. I am hoping to find an apartment within at least a 20 min drive to base. Anyone have any recommendations or any areas we should stay away from? Thanks
  2. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    good luck finding apartments... i think there is one complex off of two mile rd that are actually really nice. but aside from that your choices are pretty much going to be small houses.

the strange thing about 29 (and further into joshua tree) is that there are very few nice vs. not nice areas. most of the neighborhoods you will see have brand spankin new cute houses right next door to beat up, mattress in the lawn houses it's really hard to get a feel for what you're looking at until you're here actually looking at it.

i live in town, so if you find something, i'd be happy to drive by it and tell you what it's like!

you said 20 minutes... yucca valley, which is a much more populated area, is exactly 20 minutes from the edge of 29. they might have more apartment like options, but believe me, that 20 minutes feels like a long drive!
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Ugh yeah right now we are in Norfolk, Va and it can be pretty sketchy here so I was really hoping to avoid that lol. I think that were going to drive there in May to look at some places before we move so I was hoping to find some general areas to start looking. I have heard some good things about Yucca Valley so I think we might look around there a bit.

So what is it like there? I hear it is in the middle of no where with not much to do. Here in Norfolk its pretty much just a bunch of cities all close together with people and cars everywhere!
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    And I really wouldn't mind renting a small house actually. We are hoping to get a puppy so that would actually be perfect!
  5. i request the highest of fives!
    well, personally i LOVE it here, but a lot of people don't it is very small. very small. most of the people that hate it are the guys who are trying to go out to bars every night and stuff like that. if you'd rather have a fire and drink beer in someone's back yard like us, then it is an awesome place to live

there is a LOT of outdoor stuff to do if you are into that kind of stuff. some of the best rock climbing in the country, tons of hiking and stuff in joshua tree, and a LOT of motorsports nearby.

the base itself is the nicest base i've ever been on. everything is brand new and they try to have a lot of stuff going on since we're basically in the middle of nowhere.

if you want to do indoor, nice stuff, palm springs is a pretty short drive. takes an hour and ten minutes from 29. and ANYTHING you could possibly look for is down there. some of the greatest shopping i've ever done they have super high end shops as well as the best outlets ever. and any chain restaurant/shop you could look for, as well as tons of original stuff.
  6. i request the highest of fives!
    look in the area between two mile rd and 29 palms highway that's where i live. cute, nice houses, usually for like 800 bucks a month.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    That doesn't sound too bad actually. My husband and I are both from a small farming town in Ohio so we are pretty used to the whole hanging out around by a fire thing.

Are there any major colleges or universities near there? I am hoping to get back into school and finish my degree while we are in Cali.
  8. i request the highest of fives!
    not at alll. copper mountain community college is in j tree but it's VERY small and offers pretty much nothing. college of the desert is in palm desert (which connects to palm springs) but they have barely anything more.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hum. Well that kinda sucks. I guess I will have to wait until the hubby is outta the military for me to finish school. Oh well. You have been very helpful by the way! Thanks!
  10. Regular Member

thanks for all the great info! ill be moving to palm springs/29 palms soon..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast