Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a home in or around San Diego?

1. Senior Member

Help Purchasing a home in or around San Diego?

Advertisements
    I've read all the information about military housing offered and looked at a few non-military rentals...but has anyone purchased a home while stationed in San Diego? What do you think is the best option (military housing, renting, buying)? We've got a while to think about it...but I like to plan early.

I also know absolutely nothing about the area...any neighborhoods I should particularly stay away from when searching for places?
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I dunno. But I vote dont move to cali. Come to Ohio instead.
  3. Senior Member
    not sure what areas you are looking in, but when it comes to purchasing a house in SD be prepared the housing prices are ridiculous. I was hoping to buy something, but you really have to expect to pay $500k for a decent home. But that all depends on if its a house or a condo, what areas and so on.

I live in san diego (i rent an apartment near downtown and balboa park). SD is a great place to live. Let me know if you have any questions!!!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRTS12 View Post
    not sure what areas you are looking in, but when it comes to purchasing a house in SD be prepared the housing prices are ridiculous. I was hoping to buy something, but you really have to expect to pay $500k for a decent home. But that all depends on if its a house or a condo, what areas and so on.

I live in san diego (i rent an apartment near downtown and balboa park). SD is a great place to live. Let me know if you have any questions!!!

I personally know nothing about the area to know where I would be looking in. I've done a few searches online and found some around 200K. They have pictures and most don't look too bad...but they could be in a bad area for all I know. I'd prefer a house...or townhouse. I've just lived in apartments for so long it'd be nice to have an actual house.
  5. Senior Member
    Hey When did I miss the memo about you all PCS'ing to San Diego?

To answer your question it really all depends. We were looking to rent when we got here a year ago. We ended up taking Military housing mostly because of our large dogs and we were going to get more for our money to take housing vs a small apartment. I would like to talk to my DH about buying in the next year. It is still a little pricey to buy, but I think if you are willing to look and have good credit you can find something in a lower price range.

I was advised to live about the 8 interstate when I moved out here. While its a good rule of thumb I would argue that there are good and not so good neighborhoods both above and below the 8 interstate.

Depending on what base your DH would be at might vary my response on locations to look at. We have only been here for a year so I am not an expert but I would be happy to try and help and answer more specific questions.
    ~ Sara ~
  6. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I dunno. But I vote dont move to cali. Come to Ohio instead.
    I second this motion.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    My answer is do not settle on wanting to buy till you move here. I moved here thinking I'd LOVE it, and so many people I knew talked it up like it' be awesome living here. Nope I HATE it here and the cost of living mixed with sales taxes makes me feel like I'm being ripped off every single time I even buy gum. When I say I can't wait to move I'm not even kidding I for sure don't recommend buying or setting yourself up to buy till you know you like the area. At least I wouldn't I'm not even going to tempt to buy a house in Florida till we've lived there for over a year sense I have never been to the Clearwater area. I want to love it or at least really like it before I commit to buying a house...

There are some really bad areas that some people will call "nice", or that look "okay" during the day. Like the Kearny Mesa area(where I lived before where I'm living now) which is just down the street from the Murphy Canyon area is HORRIBLE don't rent there if y'all rent. Don't trust what you see online $200k for this area is a pretty low ball price I'd be seriously questioning the area they were in. Heck I've been looking at houses in Florida with DH, and even there it's hard to find a decent house (which most are decent but I for sure don't love enough to buy) in a good area for less then $180k. The houses that I've loved in Florida in nice to really nice areas are about $250-300k here for about the same thing double that price ....

There are Townhomes for rent in the Lakeside area that are fairly nice and they allow small pets. If you want a half way decent area without living in housing then you'll have to look away from the center of the city. Living in Central San Diego SUCKED, and I fell asleep with a knife next to my bed living in the "decent" part of it. Which even the decent part of what is considered Central San Diego made my skin crawl daily between the creepers, and just having a feeling that any moment someone was either going to rob me or rape me. (I don't have that feeling here in what is considered North County, and I didn't have that feeling in the Lakeside area.)

There maybe some houses for rent on Coronado Island when you move there was a cute one for rent just a week ago when I took DD to school. Which it's crazy how nice the Island is compared to San Diego just across the bridge. The crime rate over there is even lower then the down town San Diego area which is pretty much just across the water.

Where is he going to end up do y'all know? There are like 6 bases I can think of off the top of my head including the one in Oceanside(I live closer to the marine base in Oceanside then my husband's base on North Island. We drive about 45minutes one way to get to his base and it's well worth it IMHO. ) two of which are mostly medical centers.
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Senior Member

He'd be at Point Loma.

Nothing is set in stone yet. I just like to plan early in the event it does happen.
  9. Senior Member

There is a housing area near there called Liberty Station and they are less than 10 years old roughly and quite nice, it's located in the old Naval Training Center there. Point Loma is really nice and really pricey for renting and really really pricey to buy anything. If you have pets it can be hard to find a decent place that even takes pets and if they do they usually have a size limit and a high pet deposit.

National City is one to avoid and parts of Imperial Beach are not great either. These two are in the Southbay of San Diego. I live in Chula Vista, also in the southbay, close to Eastlake which is really nice. Old Chula Vista has parts that don't look so nice. The Eastlake area of Chula Vista is more expensive to live in but the homes are newer.

You can live out in east county where it's much cheaper but the cost of gas would be high because of the commute. Living along the 8 can be a good central location because your SO could get orders to other bases in the area after his tour at Point Loma is done.
  10. I has me the bestest Hubblie!!
    I has me the bestest Hubblie!!
    Well around here there are several economic buying options...
    My guy owns our house...
    I like knowing that it's not a rental...
    Always his, Forever faithful
    DH: "i thinking about you all day long and wish i could fight this war and come home every night, but i will before we both know it. im the luckies man in the world because i found a girl like you and i put my name on it "
    NukesQueen, Pink2hiscamo, MonkeyEyes are my sister wives!!!
    USMCgf1 is my super moto marine spouse sister!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast