Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Camp Pendleton Area soon ADVICE!!

1. Regular Member
    Me:NH/Him:Camp Pendleton,CA -Current:Afgan
    Blog Entries

Help Moving to Camp Pendleton Area soon ADVICE!!

Advertisements
    I need advice I am 18 and I am moving 3,000 miles from home to be closer to the DB. I need to know what are the good city/towns to live in are. Bad areas of town, maybe a house hunting buddy would be great someone from the area. Any help would be great. I'm going OUT OF MY MIND lol
    Thank you!!
    Hayley
  2. sassypants
    sassypants
    well, if u want to live close to db, you will be in oceanside most likely
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Your DB should know the good and bad parts. Oceanside is where a lot of the guys live off base, it's pretty nice.
  4. I have a fever,and the only prescription is, MORE cowbell
    I have a fever,and the only prescription is, MORE cowbell
    Oceanside has a lot of not so nice parts, but there are some decent places. If you are able to come out and look around first, I would advise that.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  5. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    are you moving out there solely to be with him or are you going to school out there? please make sure you have a back up plan. I'm not saying things won't work out, at all, but you never know what the future holds.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I really hope you have plenty of savings because southern California is really expensive. Like Megan said, please have a back up plan! Best of Luck OP.
  7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I'm in San Marcos and only like minutes from Camp Pendleton. Also, I hope you have a LOT saved up because the cost of living here is HELL. We've been doing okay recently but it took us about 2 years of being here to even start breaking even. Cheapest nice place that wasn't over 60minutes from my husbands base we could find we're living in right now, and for a one bedroom which you'd be looking for JUST rent(not including water, and other fees they tack on for trash services and such) is $1205 Per Month and a $400 deposit.

I really would not suggest moving here till you have a place you want to move set up so you know what rent will be like, because rent depending on the area for a decent area is not going to be under $800. Then Like I said the cost of living here just to buy food alone is INSANE. I went from being able to feed my whole family on less then $300(closer to $250) before we moved here to it costing us nearly $450 a month for the EXACT same stuff. Like I said took us forever to break even and we never bought anything really extra before never could. Hell we didn't even have cable and we had the cheapest internet package we could get just so I could pay the bills online. So being able to afford living here and having a social life is dam near impossible unless you get a roommate or live with someone rent free....

Oh and if you have a car registering my last car here made my wallet cry a little, and the car wasn't even a old car(it was an 07) it's just how insane the cost of stuff here is. Plus, you'll have to get a smog test done before you can even register it which alone will run you $29-49 depending where you go... Also make sure you double check when a place says "parking included" because sometimes around here that means you get to park your car out on the street so make sure to ask if you get an actual assigned parking spot or not. My place before this one said "parking included" and I thought "Awesome!" well the parking included was a first come first serve parking and there were two tiny parking lots close to where I lived. Of you wanted an actraul parking spot that was another $45-75 bucks a month(depending if you wanted one close and covered or one further away and covered so you paid more to not walk half a mile with your groceries.... That place was also over $200 bucks more then this place is so another thing I learned the hard way just because it costs a good bit more doesn't mean it's nicer or in a good area..

OP!
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Thank you guys so much, I have family in San Jose who I'll be staying with until I'm settled and my mind set on a place. I will also be going to school out there as well.
  9. Praying for a Miracle
    Praying for a Miracle
    Oceanside is probably the closest and San Clemente is not too far away. I live in downtown SD, so I don't know the neighborhoods up there very well.
    Things are ridiculously expensive down here.
  10. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    What about Fallbrook? Is that a good area?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast