Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Peeps!

1. Nie

Colorado Peeps!

Advertisements
    Where are y'all hiding ?

We're heading there in January

We will be stationed at Fort Carson but living at the Air Force Academy (no wait list can we say ) So I know we have a 30 minute or so commute depending on weather/time. What can everyone tell me about the North area?
  2. Moderator

I can tell you lots, but I don't live there! One of my good friends is in the exact same boat right now- her husband is stationed at Fort Carson and they took a house on the Academy because of the no waitlist thing. She's quite happy with their house.

I adore Colorado Springs, especially the central/north end. It is absolutely beautiful, I love the people, the feel of it, the weather, everything! I lived there for 20some years and I have never found a place to compare. Do you have specific questions about the area?
  3. Nie
    I'm excited but know nothing about the area and can't seem to find much online about the local area (stores, restaurants, places to go) etc. I can find tons about downtown area and Fountain but not where we are going to be living. I must not be putting in the right search terms into google

We're going to be there in January with a 2.5 year old and two dogs so I'm trying to figure out where the parks (both kid & dog, or just kid friendly) are in the area. Activities and stuff to do. I know Garden of the Gods is there but there has to be more!!
  4. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    OMG - in July - make sure you go to the Colorado Renaissance Festival in Larkspur. I shall live vicariously through you.

I can't offer much help on the area - my knowledge is 20 years old - but I will agree with Loving that the area is beautiful. I'd move in an instant.
  5. Moderator

Check out The Shops at Briargate- it's an outdoor mall and there is great shopping and a few restaurants there. There's also the Chapel Hills Mall, and there are lots of restaurants around that area too. For shopping, if you're willing to make a bit of a drive (about half an hour or so from the north end) there is an outlet mall in Castle Rock that is MASSIVE and has pretty much everything you could ask for! Since it will be VERY cold when you get there, you may want to take advantage of the playground in the Chapel Hills Mall. If you're wanting to experience the area, Garden of the Gods is a great place to start, for sure. You can also look at Cave of the Winds, Seven Falls, Pikes Peak Cog Railway, Santa's Workshop is perfect for a 2.5-year-old... I will try to think of more! From the Academy, to find things that will be close to home you'll want to be searching the Briargate area or Monument, and the Chapel Hills area. That should keep you within a few freeway exits!

PS: My husband was a military brat growing up, and the only place he ever compares to Colorado Springs regarding how much he loves it is Germany.
  6. Nie
    Oh awesome keep the info coming! I've been making lists/notes and bookmarking my little heart out. Yea I like Germany but I hate this base...hate it, it's horrible.

We live out in the middle of nowhere currently so I have to drive 45+ minutes to get to more then a local store now so I don't mind an occasional drive to do something

How cold is "very cold'? I'm from Michigan and everyone told me winters here in Bavaria were horrible - I think they're crazy they are nothing like what I am used too . The only thing I think is worse is the hills + ice = super scary
  7. Nie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    OMG - in July - make sure you go to the Colorado Renaissance Festival in Larkspur. I shall live vicariously through you.

I can't offer much help on the area - my knowledge is 20 years old - but I will agree with Loving that the area is beautiful. I'd move in an instant.
    I will definitely put that on my list, I haven't come across anything that mentioned it but from your post I must now investigate and well my son's birthday is in July so how cool of a fun thing would that be
  8. Moderator

You'll be fine if you're used to Michigan winters! It's often below zero but not far below, and it actually snows less than a lot of people think it does. I'm positive it's colder in Michigan. Plus it's super dry, so whatever the temp is is what it actually feels like. None of this "30 but feels like -30" stuff humidity causes!
  9. Nie
    Ok well it sounds like Club Med then

Michigan winters are ....interesting and humidity is a pain the butt so it will be odd to not deal with that - definitely a new experience. I'm used to butt cold way below freezing (with the wind chill) two foot plus snow in the winter and skin melting 90+ degrees with 85%+ humidity
  10. Moderator

Oh yeah. It's gonna seem really mild to you!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast