Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: 29 Palms questions?

1. Each day passes is one more day to forever ;)
    Each day passes is one more day to forever ;)

29 Palms questions?

Advertisements
    Hey ladies, me and DB are discussing getting married by the end of the year and making the choice whether I will move out there with him before his deployment or after. I had a few questions?

1. What is the job market like? I have retail and serving experience mostly.
    2. How available is pet-friendly housing options?
    3. How much does rent for a one bed one bath run?

Thanks in advance

The Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step....
    In a love clump with my wifeys Samantha1991 AND Love_my_airmanNP 10/5/11
  2. Junior Member
    My hubby is stationed at 29palms. He pays 600 for a two bedroom one bathroom place. =)
    PROUD MARINE WIFE.
  3. Senior Member
    We are moving out there next week. Jobs don't look to promising, though I have two children and would need to find a job that covers childcare and still bring some extra home. We are going to do base housing, because I have heard that utility bills can be pretty pricey, and we need at least a three bed, two bath house/ With what bah is, we would be coming out of pocket just for the house and not utilities.
    If you look at 29palmsyardsales.com under their housing section you can get a general idea of what rent runs for properties. Usually the 1-2 bed houses are 600-800 a month not including utilities.

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  4. Each day passes is one more day to forever ;)

How do you know what BAH would end up being? And I will definitely take a look on there. 600 isn't a bad price for a two bedroom. Where I live not you pay 600 -700 for a one bedroom....

5. Senior Member
    I have not been stationed there, but it is in the middle of nowhere. I would think the job opportunities are minimal. I dated a marine there and had to drive an hour for the first mall. I would prolly just stay in your hometown.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I've been here for about two months and I've heard that the job market isn't that great. I'm a SAHM so I havent been looking. We live on base and have 1 boxer dog. They had originally told us the wait for base housing would be anywhere from 3-6 months but we got our house keys one month exactly after we put in our application. I personally would not live out in town or recommend it I feel that its not the safest place to live in, but some people like it and have no problems. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions
  7. Each day passes is one more day to forever ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Sams View Post
    I've been here for about two months and I've heard that the job market isn't that great. I'm a SAHM so I havent been looking. We live on base and have 1 boxer dog. They had originally told us the wait for base housing would be anywhere from 3-6 months but we got our house keys one month exactly after we put in our application. I personally would not live out in town or recommend it I feel that its not the safest place to live in, but some people like it and have no problems. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions
    How is the base housing? Is it fairly decent?

8. Junior Member
    My husband and I are dual military. He gets single rate bah and I get single rate bah as well (for Ft. Campbell). I believe he gets almost 900 bucks for bah? Campbell is almost the same. It's different when you have a dependent of course.

Yeah, there is not many places at Twentynine Palms. It sucks even more than Ft. Campbell. I am from NJ mind you...

I am worried about jobs as well-- I ETS out of the Army a year after I re-deploy.

Personally, I would hate to live on base-- but that is because I am also military and we like to be away. >_>
    PROUD MARINE WIFE.
  9. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    hey, we just moved here two weeks ago (hence my late reply). we have a 2br/1bath house... tiny but really nice for 750 a month plus utilities. utilities are only hefty if you run the swamp cooler all freaking day. the base housing is reaaallly nice from what i've seen though!
    jobs aren't great, but if you just want simple serving/retail, you can definitely pop into yucca to work and i doubt it would be that difficult.
  10. Uh-Lawn-Uh
    Uh-Lawn-Uh
    The jobs depend on what you are looking for and how far you are willing to drive.. It's in the middle of nowhere. But palm springs isn't TOO far. I've always been a commuter, and actually work there myself.
    The low rent sounds nice, but be careful. The town has a alot of run down, not so nice places.
    DB is based out of 29 palms.
    On the plus side, the drive to Vegas from 29 isn't long at all!