Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Can you get housing early

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Big Grin Can you get housing early

Advertisements
    My question is, can my son and myself get housing over Christmas break in San Diego if my husband is still at his command in Virginia? We want to move over the break and my husband can't move until Febuary. Has anyone been able to do this or is it a rule that they must have detatched from thier command first?
    Thanks
  2. Senior Member
    Generally no. About the only time one can get housing early is if the military member is doing a remote and the dependents moved to the follow on station early.

Sorry. Oh and even if you move early, his BAH amount will be for where he is stationed and if he is in base housing, than that housing will get the bah money.
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I have know a few spouse and kids who have moved earlier than the service member to get the kids settled in school, but in those cases, they have also lived off base and were living out of suitcases until the family member arrived.

But yeh, generally unless it is a remote, the service member has to be there

4. Banned
    Banned
    in most cases no- you can move early and live on the eoconomy but to get into housing he needs to be detached from the old unit
  5. I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    we are now BUT we had to get a letter from dh's command stating that his bah will be raised to SD's and we were not in housing where we are now bc he's a recruiter and there is no housing avalible. it took a lot of paper work and tracking people down and what not....
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thanks, I got the same answer as Lindsey today from housing, they said they needed command endorsement letter to give us the SD BAH and then we can move into housing before he detaches only because we are not currently in housing. Luckily his command now is small and they are the ones requesting we do it this way so he has more time to train his replacement so hopefully they will do the paperwork.