Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Balboa question

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Balboa question

Advertisements
    So, I'll be heading to Balboa for the first time this coming week, and I'll be using public transportation to do it. I have a few options, and I would love to hear what you guys would advise.

1. Take the trolley, transfer to a bus. This will take me .2 miles from the hospital, so I won't have to walk too much. However, I'm not sure if the bus driver will announce the stops (I know some don't) and I would hate to miss mine and be late to the appointment (with the schedule I'm planning now I'm factoring in an extra hour and a half just in case there is a mess up).

2. Take the trolley, transfer to another trolley. For this one I'd have to walk .8 miles to the hospital, which is a little much for hauling kiddo, diaper bag, a gps, and trying to figure out where in the hell I'm going. I'm also not sure how the area around the hospital is, so I don't know if I'll end up in ghetto land or something. On the plus side, I wouldn't be worried about missing my stop and not pulling the bus cord thingy in time etc.

3. Take a cab directly to the hospital. No transfer worries, but it's more expensive and I'd have the added hassle of bringing his carseat in the doctors office with me, plus diaper bag, DS himself, etc.

Thoughts?
  2. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    If I remember correctly the road from the gate of Balboa to the hospital is a pretty nice hill. I'm not sure where the bus drops off but that might be a nice hike to the hospital. I would personally take a cab and ask the cab company if they can drop you at the door (meaning can they get on base or not).

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  3. Banned
    Banned
    What day is this again? And what time? I think Andrew has duty...but man..I'd hate for you to have to walk up that hill. If you chose the bus option, I'd just ask the driver when you get on (get on at the front) and ask him to let you know because you've never done it before.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks ladies! A giant hill? Well, maybe it'll help me lose some of this giant ass of mine.

Sarah: it's Wednesday at 10:30, and no worries, after walking around this damn mountain I should be okay to take on a big hill. I'm kind of excited about finally venturing out on my own, now I won't be cooped up inside all day, once I get over this "holy crap I'm going to get lost and shanked by homeless people" paranoia.
  5. sassypants
    sassypants
    balboa is on a HUGE hill
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Hey girl. I'll actually have the car tomorrow if you need a ride. Up to you. I understand the need for adventure though!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySassyPants View Post
    Hey girl. I'll actually have the car tomorrow if you need a ride. Up to you. I understand the need for adventure though!
    Thanks for the offer! I think I'm going to trolley it up and just walk the extra distance. I may give you a call if I get lost and end up in Mexico though.
  8. Senior Member
    Just FYI you can go in the back of the hospital near balboa park and not walk the hill. If you take the bus it drops off right by the Veterans war memorial and you'll walk past it and then on your right you'll see the Ambulance entrance. Walk down that little bit of a hill and show the guard your ID.
  9. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    I knew I wasn't crazy. Only been there about 4 times but I do remember a big hill! LOL. Hope you go there ok.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber