Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fort Huachucha?!!

1. Regular Member

Fort Huachucha?!!

Advertisements
    Hello!

My DH just found out he was accepted into school there the end of this year time frame. I have no idea what the area is like, or the post, or on/off post housing and any info would be GREATLY appreciated! And I would not mind making a friend or two from the area either, it would make it a lot easier as I am positive that there are a total of 3 friendly people on the whole post where I am at now.
  2. Senior Member
    Well Sierra Vista/Fort Huachucha is just another hot part of Arizona

There's not much in town to be honest and I haven't explored base too much. From what I've seen base housing is really nice from the outside Off post, housing can get expensive in some places depending where you rent.

I'm in Tucson, but I have family in Sierra Vista so I'm down there often
    Double Ring Proposal 10/5/2011 made Augusta my MSOS wifey
    skp is my rockin' Cali pal
    No more ticker!!! Deployment #2 is over
  3. MDB
    i've been to the area but not the actual base.But one thing i can tell you is get ready for heat!! i've lived in AZ my whole life i just moved back here after living somewhere else for like 8months and now i am so not used to the heat.
  4. You have a freak flag, you just don't fly it.
    You have a freak flag, you just don't fly it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinthesky View Post
    Well Sierra Vista/Fort Huachucha is just another hot part of Arizona

There's not much in town to be honest and I haven't explored base too much. From what I've seen base housing is really nice from the outside Off post, housing can get expensive in some places depending where you rent.

I'm in Tucson, but I have family in Sierra Vista so I'm down there often
    She basically hit the nail right on the head.

I lived in Sierra Vista for awhile in 2007-08, my mom and her husband and his parents all live there. Its not a bad little town, there really isn't a whole lot going on there though. I just moved away because I missed grass and real trees lol (raised in the midwest it was to big of a change for me). Good luck! If you have any other questions I can do my best to answer them or check with my mom for more information

5. Senior Member
    Hi!!!

I just found your thread! DH and I just moved into Sierra Vista about a month ago. He is retired military and a contractor now, so we will be here for a while!

So far I don't mind the town - it's not too bad! And I like the heat so I am really content here.

When are you going to be in Sierra Vista?? We should get together as I haven't met anyone down here!!

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I live in Sierra Vista, for atleast another month, I HATE this state! The only good thing (IMO) is that its a dry heat and no humidity. This town is small, it sucks. People in Arizona don't know how to drive or read signs. I've been here for 2 years and I have hated about 98% of the time here. It's 70 miles to Tucson. Tombstone is a cool place to go see for a day that's about it.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hey there!

DH is in Fort Huachuca for his AIT, has been since June. I'm going to go live with him in September and we think he might graduate by November.

I've never been there but my husband says he likes it there. There's a place where you can ride horses, that sounds fun, but there's not much to do near the base... the nearest big city, Tucson, is about an hour away.

In two month's time, I'll be able to tell you more about Fort Huachuca, hopefully. We're currently looking for a house so if you want I can keep you updated on that. We might have to get a house off-post because the waiting list for on-post housing is considerable.

Good luck!
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
    Hey there!

DH is in Fort Huachuca for his AIT, has been since June. I'm going to go live with him in September and we think he might graduate by November.

I've never been there but my husband says he likes it there. There's a place where you can ride horses, that sounds fun, but there's not much to do near the base... the nearest big city, Tucson, is about an hour away.

In two month's time, I'll be able to tell you more about Fort Huachuca, hopefully. We're currently looking for a house so if you want I can keep you updated on that. We might have to get a house off-post because the waiting list for on-post housing is considerable.

Good luck!
    We will be there right after that! I think we will be getting there sometime the end of November.. At least your husband is somewhat partial to it! Everyone we have talked to has gave us such bad reviews.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My DB will be there for AIT next year, so I plan on spending ~6mos in Sierra Vista or nearby. I've been kind of scoping out the job situation there though, and it doesn't look great, so I don't know exactly how to get myself situated. I'm hoping to go out there towards the end of February, beginning of March. Maybe we will both be there at the same time!