Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Views on Utah?

1. Regular Member

Views on Utah?

Advertisements
    So Utah is one place we might be transfered to come the later part of this year - and it's the only state I know absolutely nothing about. So I thought I'd fish for input.

Ever been there - visiting family, vacationing, stationed there?

How were the people and culture - easy to adjust to or a challenge?
  2. simply_sweetx0
    simply_sweetx0
    I am currently in Utah. We just recently moved here and are still trying to figure Utah out. There is tons of outdoor things to do! The people out here are really nice.
  3. I'm so much cooler online
    I'm so much cooler online
    I'm from there, so my opinions might be biased... But I love Utah. If you or your husband love skiing or snowboarding, Utah has really great places to do that (Well that's what my husband says, I prefer to drink cocoa and look at the snow from inside my house!) There are a lot of cool things historical wise to visit. They have a lot of fun state parks such as Moab, and Zions. I love Lake Powell and Bear Lake!

I'm not sure how to answer your question about the people and culture. *I* think they're great and easy to adjust to, but I grew up in that culture. And I can talk til I'm blue in the face about how great some people are, and with my luck you'll meet that "One" family who has serious judemental issues and automatically think they're better than you for one reason or another. I think you're gonna face that in any state, not just Utah.

Like I said, I'm biased. I have read on here, some people didn't enjoy it much, which makes me sad to hear. I love Utah and if it wasn't so close to some of my family I would definitely tell DH to try and get stationed there lol
  4. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I came to college here and have loved every second of it. I am sad to be moving in a few weeks. I think there is a little bit of a culture shock but not in a bad way. The people are amazing. The state is beautiful. The summers are my favorite! I think you will like it.

life's a party, rock your body
  5. I'm so much cooler online
    I'm so much cooler online
    Quote Originally Posted by missjennyy View Post
    I came to college here and have loved every second of it. I am sad to be moving in a few weeks. I think there is a little bit of a culture shock but not in a bad way. The people are amazing. The state is beautiful. The summers are my favorite! I think you will like it.
    Haha I love the few "Weeks" of summer Utah has a tendency to get it's seasons mixed up sometimes
  6. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    DBs born and raised and I have fallen in LOVE with Utah there is seriously so much to do! They are pet friendly outgoing active people. They have an issue with DUI's and minor in possessions but thats what you get for banning alcohol down to 3%

Its gorgeous. Weather is super moody but wait 5 mins and itll be clear. DB is from the Ogden/Pleasant View area. SLC is nice but too busy for us. Are you AF? You probably be at Hill AFB which is close to Ogden area. Nice base.

Vacations: TONS of National Parks. Go down to Moab definitely. 4 corners, zion, arches, bryce canyon, park city etc. oodles to do and see.

People are nice and friendly, granted every city has a few but in general Utah is pretty easy going.
  7. The LDR that never ends..
    Quote Originally Posted by Justangelyn View Post
    Haha I love the few "Weeks" of summer Utah has a tendency to get it's seasons mixed up sometimes
    DB's dad told me they had snow this week we have flooding heat and humidity and they still are getting snow only in Utah
  8. Senior Member
    I hated it. The base and surrounding areas are awful in my opinion. SLC was not bad, down south was perfect (away from base and SLC horrific pollution).

If your husband is outdoorsy yes there are some places to do those types of things but it is harder if you don't know the right people. My husband hunts and fishes and to be honest he only found a place to hunt that he could get too once because much of the public land is surrounded by private land which is where you need to know people.

The area around base if you are AF (all the little towns which make a city like environment) can be CRAZY at times. One bonus is public transportation is 24/6or7 I think. BUT things tend to close down early and on weird dates.

It is kinda expensive I found (like we were in AK before UT and I found Alaska prices not too much higher than UT but with half the pay.

BUT I can recommend a great chinese place and a great place to go for your hair.

There is a town near base that is like Meth central.

Sorry I know I am pretty negative, but I did NOT like northern Utah at all. Best time I spent in Utah is when we went to the canyons. My family's health suffered (physically and mentally) when we got orders to Utah. I seriously can not talk up an environment that did that to us.
  9. The LDR that never ends..
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    I hated it. The base and surrounding areas are awful in my opinion. SLC was not bad, down south was perfect (away from base and SLC horrific pollution).

If your husband is outdoorsy yes there are some places to do those types of things but it is harder if you don't know the right people. My husband hunts and fishes and to be honest he only found a place to hunt that he could get too once because much of the public land is surrounded by private land which is where you need to know people.

The area around base if you are AF (all the little towns which make a city like environment) can be CRAZY at times. One bonus is public transportation is 24/6or7 I think. BUT things tend to close down early and on weird dates.

It is kinda expensive I found (like we were in AK before UT and I found Alaska prices not too much higher than UT but with half the pay.

BUT I can recommend a great chinese place and a great place to go for your hair.

There is a town near base that is like Meth central.

Sorry I know I am pretty negative, but I did NOT like northern Utah at all. Best time I spent in Utah is when we went to the canyons. My family's health suffered (physically and mentally) when we got orders to Utah. I seriously can not talk up an environment that did that to us.
    what city? im curious as ill be living near Hill.

the fresh air did me some good, but going to the arches with the high elevation made me have like 3 asthma attacks. but its something the body can adjust too.
  10. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    I've never been there but I hear it's beautiful.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast