Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Views on Utah?

1. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    Advertisements
    Ive been there once for 3 weeks on vacation. I liked it. My Aunt lives in St George, UT so down south. It got too hot for me Salt Lake City was nice to visit but I couldnt live there. We went to this place away from the towns, in a forest area with a river & I LOVED it. It was cool (weather wise) & pretty & so relaxing. I have friends there, from there, that love it & some hate it.
  2. Regular Member
    Good stuff! Thanks for replying. Even the negative comments are good, I can size up those criticisms to where we live now and weigh things out. I've heard it's dry and that some people have serious issues adjusting and I think we can adapt as long as we know it'll hit us a little hard.

What I'm sick of here, what our entire family is sick of, is the horrid tornadic weather. Our town took a harsh hit the other month and we're still picking up the pieces. Year after year of that really ruins the supposedly pleasant rural area we moved to. I'm also sick of the humidity. I'm dreading this summer and I hope it'll be the last.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    It's pretty here, but we've been shunned for not being LDS by many, so we don't really care for it. Looking forward to our next assignment.
  4. Senior Member
    We drove thru on our way here and it was so beautiful. Definitely a place I would love to see more of
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I lived there for about 5 years and have family up there still. I love Utah. I am a former LDS, and while I was surrounded by mostly LDS people in the area I lived, I never felt like I had to be LDS to belong up there. Most of my time was living in Logan, which is up north near the Idaho border. Utah State is there so there are a lot of non-Mormons there as well as a lot of Mormon families that own farms in the surrounding areas. It's a gorgeous area. I have family currently living in Brigham City and they loooooooooooooooooooooooove it there. They are not active Mormons (although they are members) and it has never been an issue for them. There is tons of outdoor stuff to do, and the weather is nice most of the year.

Anyway, if you have any questions about those areas specifically I will be more than happy to try and help answer them.

6. Regular Member
    I'm from there! I love Utahs beauty....so much to do in my opinion if you love the outdoors. The people aren't too hard to adjust to I think but then again some people who are hard core LDS do have an opinion of those whom are not within the religion...
    People are generally friendly. Place do close early on some day and are mostly not open on Sundays, or have very limited hours!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ummmm thread is 2 years old
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by GingerGirl15 View Post

Dang, I just wanted to talk about Utah!

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerGirl15 View Post
    I was very confused by Jenny saying she was moving
  10. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    While I don't know anything about the military side of it, I did live in Utah for 2 years and have visited often my entire life. I have ancestors on my moms side that have lived in Cedar City (down south, near St. George) since like the 1860s.

Anyhow, it was definitely an adjustment for me, even though I know more about the culture than your average joe. I'm not really a snow person, so I didn't enjoy being there during the winter (or late spring, whichever) and having to deal with tons of ice. The drivers are insane and don't understand what a blinker is. Places like South Salt Lake and Magna are super sketchy and I don't recommend going there alone.... and the dryness was definitely new and I was dehydrated for a long time.

That all being said, I did enjoy how friendly everyone was, it was easy to meet new people and get involved in things. While this was several years ago, Traxx was pretty easy to use and quick to learn. Having that light rail public transportation really helped me as I worked downtown. Speaking of, it's gorgeous! There is so much history there and it's really neat to go look at the architecture. Plus, Temple Square at Christmas is just magical. The off-off broadway theatre downtown is a lot of fun. Hale Center theater is a GREAT place to go see well made local productions. So, lots of arts to participate in in addition to the outdoorsy things, too. You can go watch the MoTab, how cool is that? One of the oldest choirs in America, totally cool.

Honestly though, it really depends on your attitude. I found that typically people with preconceived notions or expectations didn't enjoy their time there as opposed to others who were more open to the experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast