Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question about the san diego "hot sheet" bit long

1. Senior Member

Confused question about the san diego "hot sheet" bit long

Advertisements
    so my husband is getting back frm deployment in about 3 weeks. its all planned out that once he gets back im moving out there. while he was on deployment i was living with my mom back here in florida, and before the deployment we were in virginia.

so i've been checking out the lincoln housing site religiously. and i always check the new "hot sheet" when it comes out. we kind of have our hearts set on the silver strand, or village at NTC.

last weeks hot sheet said that a 2 bdrm was opening in the village in mid june which i thought was perfect because thats exactly when i get out there. but this weeks hot sheet didnt list it.

my question is, how much should i rely on this "hot sheet" when picking a place because i want something thats close to base, but at the same time is peaceful and safe since we'll be living there for about the next 4 years or so and i definetly see us working on getting pregnant within the next year.

and if anyone has a suggestion on a community that isnt the strand or the village i will be all ears. (or eyes since i'll be reading your posts and not listening to it)
  2. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Christine at Lincoln told me that the Hot Sheet is a generalized idea of what's available, but the best way to find out what is actually available, is to call. And it changes daily.

Are you looking at Silver Strand I or II? If you are looking at SSI, you'll have at least a 12 month wait. SSII is much, much easier to get into. But they are apartments and townhomes, not houses.

3. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    I would just call the housing office.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  4. Senior Member
    silver strand II.

he has a friend on his ship that lives there already who has nothing but awesome things to say about it.

and all we need is a 2 bedroom for relatives to have a place to stay while visiting that can eventually become a nursery
  5. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkiwashere View Post
    silver strand II.

he has a friend on his ship that lives there already who has nothing but awesome things to say about it.

and all we need is a 2 bedroom for relatives to have a place to stay while visiting that can eventually become a nursery
    They don't tend to do that here. If you are his only dependent, you'll get a one bedroom, not a two.

But, I've heard of crazy things going on lately, so you might get lucky. But you really should call. I have Christine's number, would you like it? I can PM it to you.

6. Senior Member
    yeah that would help a lot. i thought about calling the number on the site. i guess its probably the same, but i didnt want to call months in advance, but i suppose it would be best to get the ball rolling now so we can get a place as soon as he comes home.
  7. Senior Member
    Well the Hot sheet is helpful to know what is available RIGHT away. Like standing in the housing office waiting for them to tell you an address. As for in the future its really not helpful aside from a guide of what is coming and going. I kept my eye on the hot sheet for about a month and half before we got out here. Just so I would be armed with information when I got to the office.

If I remember from reading other posts I believe silver strand is a community that has a very long wait list because there are lot of people that want to live there. As for my personal picks I wanted something above the 8 interstate from what I had been told about different areas. I am not sure what your family size is or your DH rank, or pet status so I am not sure what you are eligible for.

I know when we got here we had some issues with housing but before we were offered a house we drove around a few different communities. We drove to Murphy Canyon and we were not crazy about the feel of the community or the layout. We were there on a Sunday and there were just a ton of people out no street parking kids running wild in the street with little to no supervision. So we knew that if we were offered that community we would not accept. But they do have a community pool at Murphy Canyon which could be a plus. We looked at Chesterton and we felt better about that community than the previous one. The location is a little urban for me but well the San Diego for you. We also looked at Admiral Hartman which I really liked because it was in Pacific Beach. By the time we got to the housing office Monday morning the 1 house that had been available in Admiral Hartman on the "Hot sheet' from the previous Monday - Friday list was gone, and we were offered a house in Chesterton. To make a long story short we did eventually take a house in Chesterton. We like the size of the house and the size of the yard, and it takes DH about 10-15 Minutes to get to base. However when he gets back from Deployment I am looking forward to the possibility of moving out of government housing.
    ~ Sara ~
  8. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    yeah that would help a lot. i thought about calling the number on the site. i guess its probably the same, but i didnt want to call months in advance, but i suppose it would be best to get the ball rolling now so we can get a place as soon as he comes home.
    I started talking to her about 2 1/2 months in advance and it was worth it because we didn't have to rush and I was able to have people check out the areas for me. (We'd lived in SD for about 2 years, but never in military housing, and we were living up near San Francisco when we decided to come back.) I'll PM the number to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixi7272 View Post
    Well the Hot sheet is helpful to know what is available RIGHT away. Like standing in the housing office waiting for them to tell you an address. As for in the future its really not helpful aside from a guide of what is coming and going. I kept my eye on the hot sheet for about a month and half before we got out here. Just so I would be armed with information when I got to the office.

If I remember from reading other posts I believe silver strand is a community that has a very long wait list because there are lot of people that want to live there. As for my personal picks I wanted something above the 8 interstate from what I had been told about different areas. I am not sure what your family size is or your DH rank, or pet status so I am not sure what you are eligible for.

I know when we got here we had some issues with housing but before we were offered a house we drove around a few different communities. We drove to Murphy Canyon and we were not crazy about the feel of the community or the layout. We were there on a Sunday and there were just a ton of people out no street parking kids running wild in the street with little to no supervision. So we knew that if we were offered that community we would not accept. But they do have a community pool at Murphy Canyon which could be a plus. We looked at Chesterton and we felt better about that community than the previous one. The location is a little urban for me but well the San Diego for you. We also looked at Admiral Hartman which I really liked because it was in Pacific Beach. By the time we got to the housing office Monday morning the 1 house that had been available in Admiral Hartman on the "Hot sheet' from the previous Monday - Friday list was gone, and we were offered a house in Chesterton. To make a long story short we did eventually take a house in Chesterton. We like the size of the house and the size of the yard, and it takes DH about 10-15 Minutes to get to base. However when he gets back from Deployment I am looking forward to the possibility of moving out of government housing.
    Getting into Admiral Hartman wasn't easy (that's where we are now). There was one house available and we weren't sure about the street and hours before we took it another one came up. We looked at it and it had a creek behind it, and with kids, that wasn't going to happen. We took the first one and the one we turned down was gone hours later. If we hadn't taken the first one, there was another family waiting to snatch it up. They go so fast!

9. Senior Member
    its just my DH and i for the time being, and no pets he's also an E-4 so that leaves admiral hartman or silver stran I out of the questions since those are both officer's only or senior enlisted i believe.

i do constantly see murphy canyon openings, but im apprehensious because its so far north of his base. and now from what you've told me about no parking and kids running all over the place with no supervision im even more inclined to pass if they offer it to us.
  10. Senior Member
    its just my DH and i for the time being, and no pets he's also an E-4 so that leaves admiral hartman or silver stran I out of the questions since those are both officer's only or senior enlisted i believe.

i do constantly see murphy canyon openings, but im apprehensious because its so far north of his base. and now from what you've told me about no parking and kids running all over the place with no supervision im even more inclined to pass if they offer it to us.
    Murphy Canyon is really not that far north it looks like it on the Map. I thought the same thing I would map it on google from like the community center at the housing community to the Base and it looked like it was forever away. But its only about 15 minutes. I can get from Chesterton to Murphy Canyon in about 8-10 minutes because you have to go surface streets and there are stop lights, but its not far. I am just giving you my perspective I mean we just drove around the single family housing and than over to the townhouse area.

It seemed like everyone either had like multiple multiple vehicles or they did not use the driveway they had. It was just like there were cars everywhere. And I was driving slow since we were in a residential neighborhood, and I figured there would be children. But it was like every 2 seconds there were either riding there bike in the middle of the street knowing that there was a car coming or running out to grab a ball without looking. I just did not get a good vibe.

I think Chesterton is E6 and up, but you will find something that you are happy with I am sure. If it is just you and your DH have you considered an Apartment I am not sure what your BAH is, but it might be worth considering. I would have rather taken an Apartment but we have two large dogs which makes it difficult to find housing out here in CA.
    ~ Sara ~
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast