Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daycares or Sitters?

1. Banned
    Banned

Hello Daycares or Sitters?

Advertisements
    I am currently looking for a KICK ASS sitter or daycare facility for my DD. After the scare with the CDC, I'm literally terrified of doing this, so I ask for moral support and guidance. I refuse to put her just anywhere and wherever I decide, they will go through a thorough talk for sure.

Anyway, I won't be going to work until Middle of July. Because we are going to MN (hopefully) in June, so I don't want to get a job and then have to break for that. SO...I have 2 months basically to find a reliable sitter/daycare.

I know this could be expensive, so price while important, isn't my main concern right now.

I'd like a place who will engage her and not just plop her down and put toys in front of her. If I find a sitter, I want her to get on the floor and play. I want her to pay attention etc.

I'd really like to find a place that has other kids, so Keira can get some social interaction as well.

Tips? Anyone know of any places in SAN DIEGO?

Thanks in Advance.
  2. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    GO READ YOUR CHAPTERS!
  3. Banned
    Banned

Roll Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by MissOptimistic View Post
    GO READ YOUR CHAPTERS!
    SHUT UP!

4. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirasmama10 View Post
    SHUT UP!

5. Banned
    Banned
    you're taking away the seriousness of my thread. But I'm going I'm going.

*stomps away pouting*
  6. Stephanie
    Stephanie

You could try the website care.com That's the website I belong to and find all my baby sitting jobs through there. It has really worked for me to find jobs.

7. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    Babysitters, Nannies & Nanny Services - Sittercity Babysitting

Military One Source hooks it up with a free membership for parents to the above site!
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Personally if you want then to be focused on her, your best bet is to look for a nanny and specify what you want from the nanny. I know you said preferably with other kids, but you won't be able to get sole attention on her if other kids are around. If you get a nanny you can set the schedule to include library story times, local play groups, etc.

9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Start reseraching home daycares, they are smaller in size and you will have better chance of giving her the interaction you want as well as the social interaction. Most home daycares can only have 2-3 infants, 2-3 toddlers and then school age children not to exceed 8-10 total children (maybe even less).

Home daycares are required to have certifications and go through a state licensing, etc. You can do military specific home daycares (usually bases have a ton of home daycares in housing), if you are uncomfortable with that because of the CDC then reserach civilian home daycares. Keep in mind, the CDC and base home daycares are completely different and completely different standards. While I refuse to put my kids in the CDC, I would put them in a base home daycare in a heart beat.

Start driving around and finding day cares that are nearby or one's that look appealing to you. Go in and visit, spend a couple hours there and observe every room that she would be in (especially if she will start out in infant and move to toddler). Develop a list of questions you want to ask, list of qualifications, etc. Go there prepared for what you want to look for.

Finding a good day care isn't difficult if you have the time, which you do. I've visited every day care my kids ever attended and made sure it was good for my kids before deciding.

I also agree with the nanny, however, they can be REAL expensive (twice as much as daycare) and you won't get the social interaction that you want. I did a nanny for a short time and it just didn't work out, financially is one reason, but there were others. A friend of mine has done nothing but nannies since here kids were born, once the youngest went to Kindergarten she got rid of her nanny and does before/after school program.

ETA..... sometimes you also get what you pay for... so if its cheap daycare, definitely scope out the facility... if its way expensive check it out as well.... don't rely on the cost of it to determine its value... cheap daycares can be just as nice as expensive one's, and expensive one's can be just as crappy as some cheap ones.... (hope that makes sense).
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Ya we were considering going to talk to the people who set up the in home daycare, and had signed up before. However, they are and say that because I am doing online school and not school in the classroom then I'm not eligible for the rate . Despite the fact that I can't do school work until after she goes to bed or naps anyway.

But since I am looking for a job, I will go back down there and see. I saw a few people who do it here in our own housing community so maybe I can find something there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast