Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cannon Air Force Base

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hello .

Advertisements
    Last edited by Volare.; 12-05-2011 at 12:14 PM.
  2. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboysGirl View Post

I've been a lurker lately, but we're now headed to Cannon AFB and I'm on the hunt for info!

We plan to live in base housing.. is the wait list long? Is housing horrible? Any info you've got I'm all ears!

We don't have any children (yet), but are you involved in any other groups? I've never been involved in spouses groups (not an active one here), but I am curious about them.

What else should I know? I hear it smells like cows and the road in is really depressing the first time Everyone wants to complain or make assumptions about the base, but I'm pretty open minded and will make the best of it, so I'm really not worried. I'd just like to know what I'm in for and I'd like to hear it from those who have actually lived there (recently)!

Give me what you've got, girls!! Any info/links would be greatly appreciated! If you'd rather PM me, feel free!

Thanks so much!!
    First off, Hi! I'm here at Cannon until July and Snowcrystal is also here

The wait list for housing isn't long, i don't think. There are lots of houses available in Portales but I'm not sure actually ON base or the ones in Clovis. I actually love the houses here in Portales. They are either 1 or 2 story, depending on what you want, and they all have 4brs/ 2ba. They are nice The houses on base, they are okay, not bad but i think they are pretty small. However, since you don't have kids, it may not be that small to you

I'm not involved in anything but Snowcrystal is

In the summer, the cow smell is ALOT more potent. Especially on the way to base from Portales and the back way from Clovis. You do get used to it. It gets pretty hot here in the summer, it doesn't rain much at all and it's really dry here. There isn't alot to do and def no good places for shopping. There's a big walmart in Clovis, there's chili's, applebees, red lobster and a mall with your stores like jcpennys, sears etc. There is no target, no starbucks... umm...it's a pretty small area.

HTH some!
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I'm at Cannon now, with no end in site. I'm pretty involved in dh's SQ spouses group, I do a little bit with the Cannon spouses club (I really hate the word club).

We live in off base, base housing... Not the best we've ever lived in, but since four bedrooms for rent are hard to find, here we are. (I refuse to become a NM homeowner)

PM me for more info...
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnowCrystal View Post
    I'm at Cannon now, with no end in site. I'm pretty involved in dh's SQ spouses group, I do a little bit with the Cannon spouses club (I really hate the word club).

We live in off base, base housing... Not the best we've ever lived in, but since four bedrooms for rent are hard to find, here we are. (I refuse to become a NM homeowner)

PM me for more info...
    My brother and SIL regret ever buying a home in NM and have had a hell of a time trying to sell it. That are in Albuquerque, though, he's at Kirtland.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Last edited by Volare.; 12-05-2011 at 12:21 PM.
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboysGirl View Post
    Thank you girls! It's nice to know SOMEONE is there! I hope to get to meet you both at some point!

Is the Portales housing considered base housing, but it's just off base?
    I would not purchase a home there, either. I read rent is pretty high and some are attributing it to the base being there and the locals taking advantage of that. We have a cat, too, so that makes things more difficult with renting.

I think I may have to start weaning myself off of Target or I may go through withdrawals, oh how I love my Target!

Thank you for the info. I'm sure I will have many more questions once the time comes closer! If you think of anything else, please, let me know!

p.s. this may be a redic question, but does the base housing have washer/dryers?
    Yes, P'tales is off base base housing.

As for Target... Roswell is about 90 miles from the dirty P, Lubbock and Amarillo are both about 110 miles from home to the target parking lot.

Sorry, no washers/dryers in housing.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

8. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master

If you have a w&d, bring them... There are definitely hookups.

Kalloskitty lives in Clovis too... Forgot to add her.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel