Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Admiral Hartman vs Murphy Canyon???

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Admiral Hartman vs Murphy Canyon???

Advertisements
    I need some advice, we are PCSing to Miramar this summer and I have questions about housing. I called and was told that we qualify for Admiral Hartman or Murphy Canyon but don't know anyone that has experience with either. I am leaning towards AH because we have two dogs and they appear to have decent yards. My husband would like Murphy Canyon because it is closer to base. We also have a four year old that will start school there, so I am interested in which area has better schools. Any info you have would be appreciated. I would love to know the good and bad for both areas. Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    I don't live in either, but have been to both. I would personally chose Admiral Hartman. I don't like the houses in Murphy Canyon at all...the neighborhoods seem really cramped and the houses seem old. I loved the single family homes in Admiral Hartman...the neighborhood seemed really nice, the house was nice and the backyard was awesome too. We love our housing, but if we had to move I'd chose Admiral Hartman for sure!
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by maggief View Post
    I need some advice, we are PCSing to Miramar this summer and I have questions about housing. I called and was told that we qualify for Admiral Hartman or Murphy Canyon but don't know anyone that has experience with either. I am leaning towards AH because we have two dogs and they appear to have decent yards. My husband would like Murphy Canyon because it is closer to base. We also have a four year old that will start school there, so I am interested in which area has better schools. Any info you have would be appreciated. I would love to know the good and bad for both areas. Thanks!
    I have family that chose Murphy Canyon over Admiral Hartman. I saw both, and I would personally choose MC between the two as well. I think the area and schools are better at MC. Well, look into it more- I heard the school IN the neighborhood was bad, but 2 other schools were great?!? Good Luck!!
  4. Senior Member
    We live in Murphy Canyon and love it here! The schools on the otherhand, not so much. I know several people that choiced their kids into other schools.

I have friends in AH and they said its really small inside and preferred our house because of the extra space and storage room. But they are single story homes and I am not sure about the schools- my friend is currently homeschooling coz she didn't like the nearby school.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maggief View Post
    I cannot speak for Admiral Hartman or the schools for that area. I live in MC and we've been happy with it. We got a big backyard, but not all units have big yards. We also live on a cul-de-sac, which is a plus! My house is okay size, for San Diego standards. I have large furniture and it fits, it's tight, but it does all fit. My street is pretty quiet, but not all streets can claim that.

About schools, our neighborhood school is Hancock. I chose to send my girls outside of housing to another school near by. They go to Vista Grande. I LOVE Vista Grande, from the IEP process to volunteering. I'd recommend it to anyone. If you decide to move to Murphy Canyon, take a good look (and visit) Vista Grande or Tierrasanta Elementary. They are about 10 minutes from MC. Two of my neighbors send their kids to Tierrasanta and love it. Another neighbor and I both love Vista Grande. The main difference between the two are the schedules. Tierrasanta is *year round*, it goes from September to the 3rd week of July, but has longer winter and spring breaks. Vista is traditional, it goes from September to the 3rd week of June.

FYI: If you choose to enroll your students in a school that is not your boundary/neighborhood school, you will need to do a CHOICE form. Go to the school you want to enroll in to submit the form. Do NOT go to your neighborhood school or the district office, papers seem to get misplaced that way. Also, the CHOICE form deadline is February 15th, BUT if you are military and new to the district, you are exempt from that deadline, so you can still apply this summer. If you live in San Diego Unified, you can CHOICE into any San Diego Unified school, as long as there is space available.
    "What's so good about good-bye? It is good to be reminded that life is brief, at best, with no dress rehearsals, and the seasons we are privileged to share together are even more fleeting. Good-bye is good if it teaches us to cherish the life and breath, strength and sound mind, and the moments we are allowed to walk side by side with a friend. Good-bye is good if, in that difficult moment, we stand still long enough to give thanks to God for the lessons we've learned together, the love given, and the love received, recognizing that these are gifts from the hand of God." ~Marshele Carter Waddell
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to fax my application in tomorrow. I think I am going for Admiral Hartman because we have dogs and the yard is a huge plus!