Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canyon View-Murphy Canyon-San Diego

1. jae
    Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Hello Canyon View-Murphy Canyon-San Diego

Advertisements
    I will be there in about a week...so excited Looking to meet ladies in the neighborhood, I have an 8 yr old daughter and she is going to need some friends Who lives in the area, or atleast close by????
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Hi Jae, welcome to San Diego!! I live in Mission Valley!! You will love it here!
  3. Senior Member
    Hello. I'm Bri and I'm in Murphy Canyon as well, but in the Santo neighborhood. What school are you sending your daughter to?
    "What's so good about good-bye? It is good to be reminded that life is brief, at best, with no dress rehearsals, and the seasons we are privileged to share together are even more fleeting. Good-bye is good if it teaches us to cherish the life and breath, strength and sound mind, and the moments we are allowed to walk side by side with a friend. Good-bye is good if, in that difficult moment, we stand still long enough to give thanks to God for the lessons we've learned together, the love given, and the love received, recognizing that these are gifts from the hand of God." ~Marshele Carter Waddell
  4. jae
    Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by navywifeplus3 View Post
    Hello. I'm Bri and I'm in Murphy Canyon as well, but in the Santo neighborhood. What school are you sending your daughter to?
    I'm thinking of Tierrasanta, but haven't decided. Do you have children, if so what school do they attend???
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jae View Post
    I'm thinking of Tierrasanta, but haven't decided. Do you have children, if so what school do they attend???
    I have three. My son is at De Portola middle school and my girls go to Vista Grande. I love Vista Grande, but I've also heard good things about Tierrasanta from two of my neighbors, friend, and another soccer mom who have kids at Tierrasanta. They are a year-round school. They go until the 3rd week of July. Vista is traditional, they get out the 3rd week of June.

If you decide to send your student somewhere other than your neighborhood school, go to the school you are wanting to enroll in and file the CHOICE paperwork there. If you go to Tierrasanta ask to talk to the person who handles the enrollment/CHOICE applications. If they have space available they will most likely start enrollment paperwork right then. If you can't talk to the person who handles enrollment, leave a contact number and follow up. The Unified San Diego School District office will more often than not bury or lose your application.

I can't tell you how many people tried to get into Vista and were denied, but had the principal or enrollment secretary had known, they would have taken the students in a heartbeat! The only grade level (at the start of Christmas break) that we did not have space in was 5th grade. I'm not sure about Tierrasanta.
    Last edited by navywifeplus3; 12-30-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Reworded for clearer understanding
    "What's so good about good-bye? It is good to be reminded that life is brief, at best, with no dress rehearsals, and the seasons we are privileged to share together are even more fleeting. Good-bye is good if it teaches us to cherish the life and breath, strength and sound mind, and the moments we are allowed to walk side by side with a friend. Good-bye is good if, in that difficult moment, we stand still long enough to give thanks to God for the lessons we've learned together, the love given, and the love received, recognizing that these are gifts from the hand of God." ~Marshele Carter Waddell
  6. Senior Member
    Hi- We are also in Santo Terrace Murphy Canyon- love the area
  7. jae
    Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by navywifeplus3 View Post
    I have three. My son is at De Portola middle school and my girls go to Vista Grande. I love Vista Grande, but I've also heard good things about Tierrasanta from two of my neighbors, friend, and another soccer mom who have kids at Tierrasanta. They are a year-round school. They go until the 3rd week of July. Vista is traditional, they get out the 3rd week of June.

If you decide to send your student somewhere other than your neighborhood school, go to the school you are wanting to enroll in and file the CHOICE paperwork there. If you go to Tierrasanta ask to talk to the person who handles the enrollment/CHOICE applications. If they have space available they will most likely start enrollment paperwork right then. If you can't talk to the person who handles enrollment, leave a contact number and follow up. The Unified San Diego School District office will more often than not bury or lose your application.

I can't tell you how many people tried to get into Vista and were denied, but had the principal or enrollment secretary had known, they would have taken the students in a heartbeat! The only grade level (at the start of Christmas break) that we did not have space in was 5th grade. I'm not sure about Tierrasanta.
    Thanks for all the info.....we are definately going with Tierrasanta. Talked to my daughter about attending a year round school and she is really excited about. She is really excited about everything, which makes it easy on me!
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    hello ladies, im moving to murphy canyon in august, and im a little confussed about the school. I saw one of yall said it was a year round school. i have honestly never heard of that. my son is going to be starting first grade, and right now he is in school from august-may, so when is the school years there?
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by navywifey2005 View Post
    hello ladies, im moving to murphy canyon in august, and im a little confussed about the school. I saw one of yall said it was a year round school. i have honestly never heard of that. my son is going to be starting first grade, and right now he is in school from august-may, so when is the school years there?
    Traditional schools start the Tuesday after Labor Day and go until mid June. Year round schools start the Tuesday after Labor Day and go until the third week of July. Year round gets longer Christmas and Spring breaks than traditional. Both schools inside of military housing (Hancock and Miller) are year round. You can fill out an application to go outside of your boundary/neighborhood school. Most of the families who've chosen to go outside of housing for elementary schools have chosen Vista Grande (traditional), Kumayaay (traditional), or Tierrasanta (year round). All three are in Tierrasanta and within 7 to 10 minutes drive.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I was wondering how far in advance do you have to do the choice paper work? We won't move in house until July. Also what are the hours of the schools there?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast