Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Naval Air Station Lemoore

1. Senior Member

Naval Air Station Lemoore

Advertisements
    give me the low down please.

Housing?
    Schools? (Elementary specifically Spec.Edu)
    Things to do?
  2. Junior Member
    I was raised about 45 minutes from Lemoore and my DH was stationed there for 4 years. I dont know much about the housing as we didnt live in base housing, but we had friends who lived in housing and they all liked it. The house was nice.

As far as school goes, cant really help with that either since I just had my first child so I dont know how the school system is.

Lemoore is a kind of small town, but Hanford isnt too far away. There is a mall, super walmart, super target, old navy. There are more stores than that too. Fresno is about an hour to an hour and a half away and they have all kinds of shopping, movie theaters, resturants. The beach is about 2.5 to 3 hours away and Disneyland/LA is about 3 to 4 hours away. I really liked the area, but I know a lot of people dont.
  3. Senior Member
    We moved here to Lemoore in July and like it so far. The base is pretty small but we like small bases.

My daughter is in 2nd grade at Akers elementary here on base and is doing very well so far. The class sizes are reasonable and the staff is very friendly. There is a preschool program at Akers that you can get into if your income qualifies you. There is another elementary school, Neutra, on base as well. I chose Akers because it was closer to where our original house was located ( we qualified for a 4 bedroom and decided to take that instead).

Housing is pretty nice. I love my neighborhood and how quiet it is! The only noise I ever hear are the jets flying but I don't mind them at all.
    There are little parks in every neighborhood and nice sidewalks for walking. The community centers are nice.

Lemoore is a pretty small town and we honestly don't spend much time there.
    We just go to Hanford if we need anything. The Hanford mall is really small, though. We go to Visalia or Fresno for Costco. Visalia is about half and hour away and Fresno is about 45 minutes. I like having bigger cities fairly close!

The commissary is pretty small here and has a limited selection but you can get your basic items at least!

Oh, the air quality is not the greatest. We get smog and there are a lot of people with bad allergies and asthma. My kids and I all have asthma and haven't had any problems yet. The air quality is judged by color: red, orange, yellow, and black I think. On "bad" air days my daughter is kept inside for recess.
    If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.
  4. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    That's not Gulfport Missy.
  5. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    We got orders there too... anyone have any housing pictures?
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CassieR1202 View Post
    give me the low down please.

Housing?
    Schools? (Elementary specifically Spec.Edu)
    Things to do?
    Wait - didn't you just move to SD not long ago? Stay here, it's way more fun than Lemoore
  7. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    Quote Originally Posted by LatteLove View Post
    Wait - didn't you just move to SD not long ago? Stay here, it's way more fun than Lemoore
    You two were supposed to move to Gulfport but no everyone has to abandon me. Hmmf.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossey2000 View Post
    You two were supposed to move to Gulfport but no everyone has to abandon me. Hmmf.
    I know. Not necessarily by choice Booo. I was excited until they revoked the good orders and tried to give us worse than back to back sea duty. Blah