Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Las Vegas Drs?

1. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife

Las Vegas Drs?

Advertisements
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good family Dr around the Las Vegas area? Hopefully in North Las Vegas around Summerlin or Centennial Hills. DH signed me up for Tri-care standard and before we were married and moved out here I had the same dr since I was born so I am really not sure how to go about finding one. I think it might just be easier to go to Nellis, but I am sure it's hard to get an appt. there. All this provider/network-non-network stuff is making my head swim!!!

Thanks for suggestions

2. Senior Member
    Nellis was our last duty station. It's worth a try to see if there are any openings for standard patients on base. I found the hospital easy to work with. Had one doctor that I didn't care for personally (he wasn't a bad doctor though), but it was easy to change to someone else as my PCM. Is there a reason you don't want to be on Tricare Prime? Doesn't cost you anything. Just have to go by the hospital to the Tricare office, fill out a few sheets of paper, and you're good. Some people find it troublesome to deal with referrals at other bases, but I never once found this to be an issue at Nellis because they had SO MUCH to offer right at the hospital that it was all done pretty much instantly.

Enjoy Vegas! I really miss living there!
    Cooking with Mrs Sea Monster | My Ramblings
    Mommy to Aiden (Nov 2010) and Zoe (VBAC Nov 2012)
  3. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayssmile View Post
    Nellis was our last duty station. It's worth a try to see if there are any openings for standard patients on base. I found the hospital easy to work with. Had one doctor that I didn't care for personally (he wasn't a bad doctor though), but it was easy to change to someone else as my PCM. Is there a reason you don't want to be on Tricare Prime? Doesn't cost you anything. Just have to go by the hospital to the Tricare office, fill out a few sheets of paper, and you're good. Some people find it troublesome to deal with referrals at other bases, but I never once found this to be an issue at Nellis because they had SO MUCH to offer right at the hospital that it was all done pretty much instantly.

Enjoy Vegas! I really miss living there!
    I have a things I need to be referred out for like physical therapy. I've also worked in healthcare and I'm really,really picky about my drs. Also, at my mom's house the closest base is about 4 hours away so that wouldn't be convenient if I got sick or something. DH parents have been in the military all their lives and his mom suggested standard. I can still go on base even though I have standard right?
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"

4. Senior Member
    You might have to get a referral from Nellis AFB hosp. first. I've had to get referrals for everything, unless I'm being seen at Nellis. I haven't found any particularly good docs off-base.
    Just be careful: nearly every time I'm seen off-base, the staff tries to get me to pay for that visit (even though I don't have a co-pay) so lots & lots time wasted arguing. Be sure you know what is covered, etc.
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."