Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Diego Awana Program

1. Senior Member

San Diego Awana Program

Advertisements
    Just wondering if anyone knows of a good Awana program (cubbies for 3-4 year olds) in San Diego that anyone has gone to or could recommend. We live in Murphy Canyon so trying to find a church nearby.
  2. Senior Member
    We live in Murphy Canyon and are looking for a church as well. We haven't found one since moving here in April. I really think Hunter would enjoy Awana, so I am going to be watching this thread.
  3. Senior Member
    If you're willing to drive a little bit our church does Awana's on Wednesday nights (starts in 2 weeks I think) but it's out in Lakeside which is about a 20 minute drive.
  4. Senior Member
    What is the name of your church?
  5. Senior Member
    Cassie- I know there are a few around our area- Tierasanta Baptist Church ( I know they changed their name though), Vista Grande (but you have to be in Kindergarden), and Balboa Community Church are a few that I know of- just wondering which one to choose?
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jab79 View Post
    Cassie- I know there are a few around our area- Tierasanta Baptist Church ( I know they changed their name though), Vista Grande (but you have to be in Kindergarden), and Balboa Community Church are a few that I know of- just wondering which one to choose?
    I just looked up (Highpoint Baptist) Tierrasanta BC's website. It seems really nice.. I am really wanting to find somewhere to go. I guess the best way to do it is to go and check it out? I'm kind of shy though, and so is my DH.
  7. Senior Member
    I attend First Baptist Church in Mira Mesa (15 minutes from here). We are launching AWANA's on September 8th at 6:15.
  8. Senior Member
    Navywife- do a lot of people attend your church? Is there a lot of kid friendly stuff there?
    Thanks
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jab79 View Post
    Navywife- do a lot of people attend your church? Is there a lot of kid friendly stuff there?
    Thanks
    We're a smaller church. We have about 250 to 300 in Sunday morning church services. We have Sunday School classes for ages 3 years and up at 9am on Sundays. There is a toddler room and a nursery as well during this time. At 10:30 am on Sundays we have children's church (the hubs and I are part of that team) for ages k-5th. We sing, we play games, we learn about God. There is also a 10:30 playroom/class for 3 yrs to pre-k 5's, as well as nursery and toddler room. We have two Sunday morning church services, one at 9am and the other at 10:30. The 10:30 is the contemporary service.

Wednesday nights, starting on September 8th is AWANA, starting at 6:15. If you want a night off from cooking, come at 5:30 and eat at church. Cost is $4 per person or $12 cap for families. They also have bible study classes and childcare for kids under 3.

Tuesday mornings, starting September 14th, our military ministry team is starting Moms and Muffins. It's a fellowship for all military wives (kids or no), but call it Moms and Muffins to encourage moms with kids (of any ages) at home to come. Our military ministry also does various family fun activities throughout the year.

Our church does parents night out once a month. It is always on a Friday night. You drop the kids off at the church starting at 5:30 and have until 9:00to do whatever childfree. We have a rotational team made up of church members/regular attenders who have had background checks work the childcare at the church. We have the childcare rooms sectioned off into age groups. We feed them dinner, play games, watch movies, snack, get loud, and act crazy.

I know you asked about kids, but we also have a ladies night out once a month, usually a Friday. This past summer our church did Family Fun Nights once a month on Wednesdays. We did the train museum (after hours, behind the scenes, the whole museum to our church) in June. We did a bonfire on the bay in July. August was movie night on the church lawn. Our church also does block parties once or twice a year (think mini street fair, everything free). Our VBS rocks (even the chick-fil-a cow stopped by), so be sure to check it out next summer if you are looking for a VBS. There are a lot of young families (by young I mean families with younger kids) in our church. We like to get together and play a lot! We do beach bashes, BBQs, rock band parties, and so on.

We moved back to San Diego in June 2009, visited this church our first Sunday in town and have been there ever since. It is a very friendly church and I was made to feel like I belonged from the very first Sunday we attended.

Oh and I'm Bri. I deleted my old siggy and have yet to feel inspired enough to create a new one.
    Last edited by navywifeplus3; 08-30-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added info
  10. Senior Member
    I am really considering Awana for my 4 year old, but think the 6-8pm on a school night would be too late for him- he is usually in bed by 7:30 and has school and sports in the afternoon..

Does anyone know of a church that offers the Awana program on Sunday nights from 5-7 for cubbies?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast