Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemoore ladies....

1. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries

Lemoore ladies....

Advertisements
    This was an option for us for our orders. We told the detailer that we'll take it since he's also providing a extra bonus that DH can't pass up.

So, tell me about the area, my son will be going to preschool there as well. So, any information about the area, preschools, shopping.

I did do a search and they were old threads and I didn't want to bump them.

I've seen that military housing is the best to live.. but, is there not decent places off base? Or houses?

TIA for anything or help you can give!!
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I'm interested in any/all info, too!! We just got orders to Lemoore, DH is going out on immediate deployment, and I'll be heading out after the new year with my daughter and new son who is due in December!
  3. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    Yes! We just took the orders today as well. So,we will be out there either in April or July..depending on if I want to go out in April or not.
    Wife to Nick.
  4. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    And, congrats on your new little guy!
    Wife to Nick.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks! At least I know there will be one other person there, lol. Are you thinking you're going to live on base or in town? We'll probably be on base so we don't have to deal with a rental + amenities. We own a home that we're going to have to rent out and we're already going to be loosing money each month through that house so it's just easier to move in somewhere where it's all covered. We've always lived off post, though, so hoping we don't mind it too much. Looks pretty nice, though.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

There are apts and houses out in Lemoore and Hanford. I grew up in Fresno(30min away) and my Lemoore was my dh's first duty station..he was there for about 8 years( and hes going back there in Jan to finish his last 4 years in the Navy).

Lemoore is not the small podunk town it used to be... but its still small.

There is housing on base... its fairly new too.

We will be going back out there in December to visit my family and check out base( we have not been out there since 2003).
  7. Senior Member

They started building new base housing in 1997 when I was there. It used to be horrid, flat roofed, cinder block homes. They were nasty looking homes, LOL!
    Dh and I lived in Lemoore in an apartment. I remember the exact address, it was 1169 Beverly Drive, they were alright, nothing spectacular but it was clean and pretty well maintained. The bottom corner units had washer and dryer hookups but the other apartments did not.
    It gets HOT there and allergies can be bad. The base itself is surrounded by farm fields.
  8. Junior Member
    I was born and raised about 30 minutes from Lemoore and that was my DH's first duty station. We didnt live in housing, but we had friends who did and it seemed like it was pretty nice. Lemoore is kinda a small town, but Hanford is about 20 minutes away and has a lot of stuff to do. There is shopping, resturants, a mall,movie theater. You are 3 hours from LA/ Disneyland and about 2 hours away from the beach. It does get hot there in the summer and it gets very foggy during the winter. If you have any questions let me know, I was just back there in June visiting family.
  9. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    Anyone know which housing is the better of them? We have 2 kids, so we'll need a 3 bedroom.

Anyone have pictures?
    Wife to Nick.
  10. Regular Member
    We were stationed there for 3 years. We just escaped last month, lol.

Base housing is nice, but small. I think they built new officer housing, but when we were there up to O4 lived in the exact same housing as the enlisted, and they were very small. But they're nice. My friend lived in a 1300 sq foot 3 bedroom house, with a teeny yard, and one car garage. For the amount that we got for BAH (she and my dh were the same rank) we got a 2700 sq foot 4 bedroom home with a huge yard and 2 car garage. Just to give you an idea. It was a total rip off.

There is no preschool on base. You will have to drive to Lemoore or Hanford for that. They will be starting a tots program, but they aren't allowed to call it a preschool. They used to have a preschool, but whoever oversees the CDC forced them to shut it down. Childcare has a very long wait list on base. In general, the support and infrastructure is the worst I have ever seen in the Navy.

The base schools have some of the best schools in the area. Neutra (pronounced Noy-tra) is the best, so if you can choose a housing area, choose that one. The school has an interesting layout, but the teachers all seemed nice and I saw some good things in that school. My son had speech therapy there. Akers isn't bad at all, but everyone loves Neutra.

If you have a child with medical or other special needs, look elsewhere. The Lemoore hospital does not have the capabilities to take care of kids like that, so everything goes to Fresno an hour away. If you have a baby born who needs higher medical capabilities, they will be transferred to Fresno as well. Just something to think about.

The air quality is the worst in the nation. In our 3 years there we all developed allergies and my daughter and I got asthma, which led to her being hospitalized for pneumonia. The air smells, as well, especially in the fall.

You can get just about any kind of produce that you can imagine there. There's a great produce delivery business, called Family Farm Fresh, that delivers fresh local organic fruits and veggies right to your door. We loved that.

Disneyland is about 4-5 hours away, which is great. It's about 2 hours to the beach, and Amtrak will take you straight to San Francisco. Sequoia is about an hour or so away as well. So the location is good. We did not like the area at all, though. For one, my dh was not happy with how the hospital was run, so he was very unhappy in his job. for another, we were all getting sicker every day. The water is brown and smells, and has arsenic levels so high it is undrinkable. The air smells. The whole area is dusty and feels dirty.

We lived in Hanford, and I'm glad we chose to go there because most of the shopping in the area is there. If you live on base, you have to drive 20 minutes to get to Walmart or Target, which could get frustrating.

So that about sums it up. It was interesting to move there, so I don't regret it, but I am very happy that we left and will never be back.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast