Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in Las Vegas

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Living in Las Vegas

Advertisements
    Hi folks,

My fiance and I are looking at Nellis- and I'm freaking out. Where are the trees?!

Can you help me get a picture of what living in Las Vegas is like? I'm also trying to get a feel for what kinds of outdoor activities there are to do. Any cycling?

Another quick question to ask-- do you like living there? If so, why? If not, tell it like it is!

What is there to do in Las Vegas besides the nightlife?

Thanks for your input!
  2. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

I loved living in Vegas. There's hiking, lots of shows to see (some all ages), places to explore, you can go see ghost towns if you want to drive some, you're not that far from the grand canyon. Getting used to the landscape is the hardest part.
  3. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife
    I pm'd you a link to my picture blog since we moved here. It's really not that bad. There are mountains and a ton of stuff to do besides going to the strip. Don't freak out!! I thought I was going to hate it because I am from a small town and its great!! Lots of shopping, lots of fun stuff down on the strip (that's free too and not all clubs and stuff), great food, Mount Charleston for hiking, Lake Mead and Boulder Beach for swimming, hiking, fishing, etc. And there are a ton of great places near by too. You can pm me if you have any questions We haven't been here too long. Oh and traffic isn't all its cracked up to be either
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My DB's sister lives in Vegas. Her and her husband LOVE living there. (We are all from a small town in Va no less.) She loves being able to go Snowboarding in nearby Utah, enjoys the year round warm weather, and loves being able to go out when they want to. But still be in the outskirts of Vegas.

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for the replies. I'm still worried about the seeming all-sun-and-no-shade atmosphere, but its nice to know that it isn't as bad as I imagine

Its funny: I told my fiance I'd go anywhere... until he mentined Vegas. I threw on the brakes and said, "now wait a minute... I didn't mean anywhere!"

Are there any city parks or outdoor activities within a reasonable drive? I like to go out for a run or a bike ride after work and am hoping that I can continue that without a long drive.

Vegas has always seemed like a city to visit, not linger. Does it feel like the whole city is there to support the tourist industry? Or do you feel far away from it once you get settled? I'm currently in San Antonio, the biggest tourist destination in Texas. Barely feel it, but SA is a small peanut in comparison to LV.

Again, thanks for your input--really appreciate it!
  6. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

First to MSOS. Please introduce yourself in the Newbies section and read the stickies.

My Aunt was a WW2 war bride and lived there from the time she moed to the US till she passed 2 weeks ago. She loved it there. It does get hot and it is very dry so if you are used to humidity it can take a bit to get used to. She lived on the non-airpost side or the strip and there is a huge park and sports grounds there. We went to visit a couple of times when we lived in UT and I think if you live in the suburbia you don't really think about the city as much.

7. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife
    Quote Originally Posted by rissalee View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm still worried about the seeming all-sun-and-no-shade atmosphere, but its nice to know that it isn't as bad as I imagine

Its funny: I told my fiance I'd go anywhere... until he mentined Vegas. I threw on the brakes and said, "now wait a minute... I didn't mean anywhere!"

Are there any city parks or outdoor activities within a reasonable drive? I like to go out for a run or a bike ride after work and am hoping that I can continue that without a long drive.

Vegas has always seemed like a city to visit, not linger. Does it feel like the whole city is there to support the tourist industry? Or do you feel far away from it once you get settled? I'm currently in San Antonio, the biggest tourist destination in Texas. Barely feel it, but SA is a small peanut in comparison to LV.

Again, thanks for your input--really appreciate it!

Not sure about parks, but I did just find the farmer's market! DF and I are in neighborhood in NW Vegas, about 25 minutes from the strip and it really feels like Fairfax VA or something like that. It feels like you're in a totally different world than Vegas (Probably similar to San Antonio). People are really friendly too and love to suggest places to go to get away form everything. Other than the sun and the lack of trees that aren't palm trees, it really has a suburban feel to it, especially where we are. It's not all glitz and lights. All the outdoor stuff I mentioned is 20 minutes or less and it's also pretty easy to get on the main road like I95 and 215 (a lot easier than this girl thought it would be!)
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"

8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks again- great input from you both.

So glad to hear about the farmer's market! My fiance and I were just lamenting that it might be more difficult to find one in LV-- we go every week here (often twice a week in peach season!)
  9. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife
    Thanks again- great input from you both.

So glad to hear about the farmer's market! My fiance and I were just lamenting that it might be more difficult to find one in LV-- we go every week here (often twice a week in peach season!)
    There looks likes there are about 4 or 5...so where ever you are in the city you can get to it easily. Some are mid-week and others are the weekend!! I can't wait to go!!
    Originally JessaBecc

10. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Hi folks,

My fiance and I are looking at Nellis- and I'm freaking out. Where are the trees?!

Can you help me get a picture of what living in Las Vegas is like? I'm also trying to get a feel for what kinds of outdoor activities there are to do. Any cycling?

Another quick question to ask-- do you like living there? If so, why? If not, tell it like it is!

What is there to do in Las Vegas besides the nightlife?

Thanks for your input!
    about the trees! I never noticed that, and I was just in Las Vegas 5 days ago. I told my husband, "If I ever lived here, I wouldn't ever go out during the day...LOL!!!" The dry air is lovely though! It's great for my acne, because it clears it right up!

Grocery shopping would suck! You'd have to drive home from the grocery store ASAP without any stops, so ice cream wouldn't melt...HAHA!!! Or just bring a cooler with ice when you do your shopping...

If you do want to cool off, drive drive about 20 miles to Mt. Charleston. It's very cool up there!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast