Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military Day Care?

1. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.

Hello Military Day Care?

Advertisements
    Hello Msos ladies!
    I'm hoping to get any information I can get on the military day care in San Diego.
    I have called a few times, but I have to go in person to learn and understand more. Witch won't be happening for a month since I need to get a few things on my car like tires done first. Anyways, my DH and I would appreciate any information you lovely ladies have on the Military daycare system. Like how long do you normally have to wait on the waiting list? If it's better to just go with a private daycare provider? If there are any other daycare you'd recommends? Witch one's to stay away from? I'm new to the whole day care thing all together since from day one with my kiddo I had family that watched her while I worked full time, and went to collage. Now I am wanting to work part time again, and we are interested in daycare for my 2yr old. I'm on edge about sending my daughter to any daycare even if the people are "certified". So having people share their personal experiences and or opinions about daycares would be great.

Any help at all or any suggestions are great!
    Signature removed due to size.
  2. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Most bases will have CDC and FCC. CDC rates are based on rank and there is also a priority system in most cases (mil to mil, single mil, mil with other parent working, mil with other parent studying, mil with other parent SAH). Wait lists differ from base to base and also age of kids.

FCC is in home care and are smaller groups of kids, but there can be kids from birth to 5 yrs, so not all kids may be your childs age. However, because of the smaller groups, there is usually more one on one time. Their fees are set by the provider so may differ from person to person.

I believe both are education based learning more than play based.

4. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    I work at a CDC in Maryland...if they are general questions, I can probably help. If you wanted San Diego specific questions (turnover rates, first hand accounts of care..) a girl I work with just transferred from there and I'm sure she could tell me what you wanna know.

I work at a Navy center, minimum qualification is CDA (for any branch I believe. http://www.cdacouncil.org/). The specific center I am at is IMO, amazing. Aside from the newest additions staff have been around anywhere from 2.5 years to 25 years. It's happy, the kids are happy, the parents are happy

5. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    Most bases will have CDC and FCC. CDC rates are based on rank and there is also a priority system in most cases (mil to mil, single mil, mil with other parent working, mil with other parent studying, mil with other parent SAH). Wait lists differ from base to base and also age of kids.

FCC is in home care and are smaller groups of kids, but there can be kids from birth to 5 yrs, so not all kids may be your childs age. However, because of the smaller groups, there is usually more one on one time. Their fees are set by the provider so may differ from person to person.

I believe both are education based learning more than play based.
    Thank you, I'll look into both starting tomorrow. I know my kiddo will love it either way since she loves other kids normally.
  6. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turpentine89 View Post
    I work at a CDC in Maryland...if they are general questions, I can probably help. If you wanted San Diego specific questions (turnover rates, first hand accounts of care..) a girl I work with just transferred from there and I'm sure she could tell me what you wanna know.
    Mostly just general I have questions about. The main thing I have heard is that I choose to do CDC that it's a long wait. Just basically how the program works. I'm 100% clueless. Then what's the normal flexibility on pickup and drop-off times? What should I expect to need to have besides the basic care items. Like changes of clothes, diapers, wipes, and juice cups/snacks?

Those are a few I can think of off hand. I have heard great things about the programs and the people. I am just mostly curious to what I should expect, and I want to get my daughter into daycare then find a job.
  7. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    You can drop-off as soon as we're open to as late as you'd like, although certain staff WILL tell you we PREFER a certain time for your childs schedule. For example, water play is 9:45 am(for where I work.) and during summer we kindly request a drop-off before 9:30...but to the best of my knowledge NO center can demand a certain time. Pick up before we close and you're good to go

Our Navy center and the Army one I interviewed for (and declined a job for ) provide Breakfast (pancakes, applesauce and milk is what we had today), lunch (always a meat, veggie, fruit and milk. Prepared by in-house cook), and a snack.

You will be expected to bring in diapers, wipes, diaper cream and a change of clothes. If you have a half-competent caregiver they will let you know when your child needs any of those things.

8. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    They link is helpful Thank you
  9. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Also, we are play-based. We do build a lesson plan with a vague weekly theme..."fish", "boats", "water" and we'll plan age appproriate activities. I work with two's and we do a lot of books, painting and sand play with theme related things.

It is not an all day free-for all...we do have a 10 minute circle where we encourage them to sit. We do speak firmly if someone has hit or hurt...but it is someplace I would send my children if I had any. We do not spank, shake, indimidate or otherwise upset the kids. I know I hug and kiss them a lot They are a handful but they are not mine to punish, 99.9% of the staff there know that...it does vary by location..just pop by and ask for a tour. I don't know if other centers request an appointment, we don't. It catches us off guard for damn sure So you'll get an accurate picture that way.

10. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turpentine89 View Post
    You can drop-off as soon as we're open to as late as you'd like, although certain staff WILL tell you we PREFER a certain time for your childs schedule. For example, water play is 9:45 am(for where I work.) and during summer we kindly request a drop-off before 9:30...but to the best of my knowledge NO center can demand a certain time. Pick up before we close and you're good to go

Our Navy center and the Army one I interviewed for (and declined a job for ) provide Breakfast (pancakes, applesauce and milk is what we had today), lunch (always a meat, veggie, fruit and milk. Prepared by in-house cook), and a snack.

You will be expected to bring in diapers, wipes, diaper cream and a change of clothes. If you have a half-competent caregiver they will let you know when your child needs any of those things.
    I forgot to add the butt paste. I figured it was all basic things and those hours sound great.I am just wanting to get her in the program and I'll work my job arond whenever they want her there. Thank you so much for the help I think I was just way over thinking everything and making my self kinda nuts. I look forward to being able to have my daughter make some little buddies and have a fun learning.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast