Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWENTYNINE PALMS, CA -Utility Costs

1. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.

TWENTYNINE PALMS, CA -Utility Costs UPDATE in orig. post & questions about VA!

Advertisements
    We're probably PCSing back to 29 Palms, CA as our next DS in Jan.

I really want to rent out in town and thanks to AHRN I'm finding some cute places for our BAH rate!

But I can't remember how much utilities ran us, and if a swamp cooler is less costly or if AC is.

Any insight is appreciated!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay, i'm bumping this because I have a few questions & news. and i didnt want to make a third or fourth home buying thread.

First of all, we got hard copy of orders yay, check in 30 jan!
    secondly, we put an offer on a house, and they countered, and we're accepting their counter

The only thing keeping us from getting this house is if the appraisal value is less than what we offered. Has anyone used a VA loan and had the appraisal come lower than what they're asking for the house? What did you end up working out with the seller?

which is another question...

We are asking over selling price because we can't afford to put anything out of pocket for closing costs. The earnest money and inspection will be easy, but to even do 3% closing costs would be too much for us. We tried doing the VA NO NO Loan bu they weren't having it. They didn't even want to split CC (closing cost) even though they said they were willing to work W/ a VA loan! ugh. anyway, my question is:
    was anyone able to loan more than the appraised value by VA?
    we are working w/USAA and they never give DH a straight answer on the phone. every time it's different.
    we're offering them more as an incentive to pay all CC. They like this offer, we just have to do ppr work to document we'll be working with this offer.

we love this house. i'll share pictures when its not a bad omen anymore...lol
    Last edited by wcchick712; 06-30-2010 at 01:49 PM.
  2. Rei
    Chhyeah!
    Chhyeah!
    We're in 29!

We're in base housing, but swamp coolers are much cheaper than AC. Especially out here where we NEED it on for months at a time. I believe it's $1 or so for every 40 hours on.

3. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    we were there 2007-2008, and we should know by Tuesday if and when we'll be there. we lived in town last time but nowww my dh is saying he want base housing (he has legit reasons that i agree with.). this thread is pointless now LOL i guess people can still respond in case my DH changes his mind. i just want to bank some cash! but he wants me to be safe in case he deploys.
  4. Senior Member
    i heard the base housing out in 29 is really nice!
  5. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by jab79 View Post
    i heard the base housing out in 29 is really nice!
    yeah, the wait lists are 6 mo long but some houses have 2 stall garages!! ha!! even if we don't get early orders, i hope we still get orders there.

my friends kitchen is TINY though, she has noooo storage what so ever.
  6. Regular Member
    I LOVE my house in 29! I don't particularly like the weather here but I am going to miss my house. I hope the house we do get in San Diego will be just as nice.

I live in Adobe Flats right now and they do have 2 car garages w/storage. Laundry room has tons of storage. Our laundry closet upstairs is awesome. We have a loft upstairs too that the kids use as their TV room art place.

Personally, living off base is creepy. There are pockets of nice newer homes and then there are shacks. When you find a place you like, make sure to do a check for sex offenders around that area. This place is a dumping ground for them. My friend moved out in town to a huge house but found her next door neighbor is a registered sex offender along with the guy across the street and a few doors down. Now she wants back on base. Just be careful where you rent.

It's been really hot lately and the A/C kicks on around 7:30am because it's already 85 degrees outside and rising.
  7. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.

29 palms... here we come!
    Early orders have been approved by MCRD's SgtMaj...nothin' can stop us now. @ least we only have to drive 3hrs w/ a 9mo. instead of say... across the country.
  8. Senior Member
    When do you guys leave?
    Yeah- we ended up moving only 3 hours away when our oldest son was only 3 months old- sooo easy- he ended up sleeping the whole time!

Sorry we were never able to get together..
  9. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    oh we don't leave til some time in Jan!
  10. Rei
    Chhyeah!
    Chhyeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysbrneyedgirl View Post
    I LOVE my house in 29! I don't particularly like the weather here but I am going to miss my house. I hope the house we do get in San Diego will be just as nice.

I live in Adobe Flats right now and they do have 2 car garages w/storage. Laundry room has tons of storage. Our laundry closet upstairs is awesome. We have a loft upstairs too that the kids use as their TV room art place.

Personally, living off base is creepy. There are pockets of nice newer homes and then there are shacks. When you find a place you like, make sure to do a check for sex offenders around that area. This place is a dumping ground for them. My friend moved out in town to a huge house but found her next door neighbor is a registered sex offender along with the guy across the street and a few doors down. Now she wants back on base. Just be careful where you rent.

It's been really hot lately and the A/C kicks on around 7:30am because it's already 85 degrees outside and rising.
    Agreed. We live in base housing, but out in town. I looked up sex offenders near us and wanted to puke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast