Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: uss peleliu/15th MEU

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

uss peleliu/15th MEU

Advertisements
    Does anyone have a boyfriend or spouse on this deployment that recently left? I am so over it already!!!! I need friends in the same boat, literally. lol
  2. Senior Member

My husband is on the USS Pearl Harbor which is with the USS Peleliu. I am over it already, too!
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thats right! I know there were two others with but I couldnt remember which. You were in the Navy? Me too! What does your hubby do?
  4. Senior Member

My dh is an ETC. He had just gotten to the boat just before it deployed!

ETA; Oh yeah I was in the Navy I was an AE!
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    that sucks! My boyfriend volunteered. Go figure. I was a YN. He is in the marines, 03, disbursing OIC. (prior enlisted but I dont know what he did, lol)
  6. Senior Member

Yeah, dh chose the boat because it was all that was available when we were picking orders. We were in Korea and we were supposed to be there till July but when dh put in for that ship they made him come back sooner so we had to do a lo of things in a hurry. I hated having to move at this time because the kids were still in school! But that's the military.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I remember that happening when my ex was transferring from Guam and I had to go too. I picked orders to a ship so I could leave at the same time. Yeesh, was not fun. Im just not a ship kind of girl. And I never deployed. lol How old are your kids? And what is there to do in Korea?
  8. Senior Member

I never deployed, either. I had been on two aircraft carriers, the Constellation and the Kitty Hawk for dets but they were a week or two so yeah, the ship was not that fun. I was in a training command at NAS Lemoore, CA so it was shore duty but would go on dets so the pilots can get their carrier quals.

My two boys are 11 and 12, will be 13 in July.

Korea took some getting used to but after three years there I grew to love it and miss it very much. There are lots to do there. Lots of museums, temples and palaces to go see. For me, though, you seen one palace or temple you've seen them all. Seoul is a 24/7 city, the night life is huge there, lots of night clubs to go to, restaurants from all over the world, festivals, amusement parks! They have Lotte World which is an indoor amusement park, Everland which is a Disney knock off, LOL! And there is Seoul Land.

For me the best place that we got to visit was... Penis Park!
    Picasa Web Albums Penis Park
    That place was just crazy, LMAO! I stumbled upon it in a Lonely Planet book and at first I thought this is a miss print but I googled it and sure enough, it's real.

Another popular pass time in Korea is the shopping. Shopping is huge there.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    OMG, I was cracking up at those pictures. What is the deal with the kid watching the couple do it? lol That would be so fun to go to an indoor amusement park. Did you live on base there or out in town? Do the people speak english? Your sea life surpasses mine. I was on the USS Mckee and I only switched piers. lmao I never even slept on the boat. In fact some bitch stole my pillow off my rack within five minutes of me being shown where my rack was. lol So have you been around San Diego since you have been here? We went to Sea World on Saturday. I dont know what I was thinking.
  10. Senior Member

We lived in San Diego for eight years prior to going to Korea. We lived out in El Cajon then and we now live in Chula Vista. You were nuts to go to Sea World on Sat!

We lived on base in Korea, we lived in an off shoot called Hannam Village. It was a separate housing area from USAG Yongsan and was about 2 miles or so away. I usually prefer to live off base but there I wanted the kids to be able to ride the bus to school. That was before I knew they did have bus service off base but I liked it because the commissary was right outside our building so I could walk to it and I did every day! I hated driving in Korea, they are maniacs on the road there. Also if it has wheels it's on the road and I am talking motorized razor scooters, skate boards, pocket rockets to forklifts and big bulldozers, they drove them on the roads there.

Many Koreans speak English, it means money to them! The further away from the big cities the less likely they spoke English but at least all the traffic signs were in English. Most of the kids there do learn English so recruiting people from the US to teach English there is a big deal. They prefer Americans but will hire Canadians, British, Australians and New Zealanders as well. I even met a couple of South Africans there who taught.